• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Club cricket structures around the world

Woodster

International Captain
I’m after a bit of help to understand the structures of club cricket in all countries around the world to try and understand exactly how they work. Obviously any advice would be helpful but the more detailed the better, if anyone has the time or inclination!

I play cricket in one of the ECB Premier Leagues so my understanding of club cricket in England is fairly decent but I could still learn about the various leagues around the country.

My club has invariably attained the services of Australians from the Victorian Premier League primarily but we’ve also had a couple from Norths in Brisbane.

Basically if anyone could let me know the relevant leagues from around your country of knowledge, the best leagues within that structure and any pyramid system or anything that’s in place such as feeder leagues it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Well in Sri Lanka the premier domestic competition is played between clubs. We have two tiers as A and B. Both these tiers are given the FC status.

These tiers have 14 clubs each. They have been further divided in to 2 groups of 7.

Usually the Tier A have the country's best cricketers taking part.

The initial matches are played as 3 dayers. Afterwards the top 4 teams in each group from the Tier A proceed towards the next stage (Super Eight). Here the points acquired from the other 3 teams that have qualified for the second round are brought forward. These games will be four-dayers. Team with most points in the second round (Super Eight) are adjudged winners.

Teams from Tier A that do not qualify for Super Eights play for the Plate Championship. This includes a total of 6 teams (3 each) playing three-day cricket. Similarly the points are brought-forward and the team with least points in the Plate, gets relegated to Tier B.

SSC Test venue which is in Colombo, is actually home to the SSC team that is taking part in the Premier League Tournament. Moreover there are other clubs like Tamil Union, CCC, Colts SC, NCC etc.

Tier B cricket is generally less competitive. It had 9 teams in the previous season. The winner gets promoted to Tier A the following season.

Moreover they are other club competitions like Donovan Andree, Sara Trophy etc where the quality of cricket is lesser.

Players like Moeen Ali and more recently (last season) Nick Compton too was a part of the domestic Tier A competition in Sri Lanka.

For limited overs games (50 overs and T20s) the teams from the two Tiers A and B play together. It's a very diluted competition with 23 teams divided in to 4 groups.

Premier Limited Over Tournament Table - 2018 - ESPN

Afterwards there was this newly introduced Provincial Cricket tournament with only 4 teams in it. Matches were in all 3 formats. The FC games were 4 dayers. This competition is still in its introductory stage, we might see couple of more teams from next year.

Woodster

International Captain
Thanks very much for your reply Randycricfreak. So this is the professional set-up in Sri Lanka ? Very interesting. However, do you have any knowledge of the amateur cricket set-up in Sri Lanka ?

For example in England we obviously have the 18 first-class counties that form the professional element of the sport, those clubs have second XI cricket and we have minor county cricket, probably as the next step down. Feeding the minor-county sides are the amateur leagues of which we have around 28 ECB Premier leagues and their various feeder leagues.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You probably know the structure here already, it essentially each State capital has a Grade Comp with 4 or 5 grades. The Shield players are drawn from the first grade comp. there are also some pretty strong regional grade comps as well.

Below that there’s park cricket and on Sydney there’s Shires, where young blokes get their first taste of playing on turf and where Old grade players go to die.

Woodster

International Captain
You probably know the structure here already, it essentially each State capital has a Grade Comp with 4 or 5 grades. The Shield players are drawn from the first grade comp. there are also some pretty strong regional grade comps as well.

Below that there’s park cricket and on Sydney there’s Shires, where young blokes get their first taste of playing on turf and where Old grade players go to die.
Thanks mate. I have a general grasp of the set-up over there but not in too much detail. Which leagues would you say are the most competitive ? The Victorian Prem seems a decent standard and I’ve played with and against quite a few of the players over there, as does the Brisbane league.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think almost any first grade/ premier league set up from a capital city would be very competitive. Hobart maybe less so but only due to the small population.

Woodster

International Captain
I think almost any first grade/ premier league set up from a capital city would be very competitive. Hobart maybe less so but only due to the small population.
Yes I’m sure they’re all of a decent standard, just trying to get a grasp on the comparison to the Prem leagues over here, I’d imagine they’re generally of a stronger nature.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Around middlesex and hertfordshire prem leagues it is pretty strong. Ramprakash played in mdsx LG up until a couple years ago at the same time as kusal mendis. Owais shah plays in herts prem now and although probably the best player he isn't head and shoulders above everyone else. Adam rossington who's at northants finished the season at totteridge in herts prem.

Woodster

International Captain
Around middlesex and hertfordshire prem leagues it is pretty strong. Ramprakash played in mdsx LG up until a couple years ago at the same time as kusal mendis. Owais shah plays in herts prem now and although probably the best player he isn't head and shoulders above everyone else. Adam rossington who's at northants finished the season at totteridge in herts prem.
Thanks Tom. Yes I’ve not researched those leagues in too much detail yet but was aware they were fairly strong. Don’t suppose you know whether overseas players are prevalent in those leagues or not ?

SeamUp

International Coach
South Africa

Professional

FRANCHISE CRICKET

Cobras, Warriors, Dolphins, Knights, Lions, Titans

* Basically our 6 main provincial unions are the home base and the smaller unions combining with them.

SEMI-PROFESSIONAL PROVINCIAL CRICKET

Basically all the cricket unions get contracted franchise players not playing for their franchise and then they contract 11 of the best club cricketers/schoolboys. So you either studying or have a job on the side. They play in a 3-day competition and a 1-day competition which is given FC and List A status because these are our actual cricket unions and they didn't want their cricket not recognised. But really it is 2nd XI cricket but the positive is that they playing a higher level of cricket than just club cricket during the season which isn't as strong as it once was.

Boland, Western Province , SWD - Cobras
Eastern Province & Border - Warriors
KZN Coastal & KZN Inland - Dolphins
Northern Cape & Free State - Knights
Central Gauteng & North West - Lions
Northerns & Easterns - Titans

The major union in bold considered the home. WP, EP, TVL (Central Gauteng), Natal (KZN)the orginal 4 although Griqualand West (now Northern Cape) was in the main division at the turn of the 19th century. Border, Free State and N TVL (Northerns) eventually had stints in division 1 through the 40-80s.

Basically they pull from Club cricket or school cricket.

Each cricket union will have a club league. The strongest obviously being in the major unions.
In Cape Town , Joburg, Durban & Pretoria actual cricket clubs are still going strong.
The major universities play in the club league UCT, Maties, NMMU, UJ, UFS, Pukke, Tuks - Durban's university not so strong.
Tuks dominate in Pretoria as The University has links with Titans and they basically pull u19 talent from school.
In PE besides NMMU the main club team is Old Greys which are Old Boys from the major cricketing school Grey PE
I would say Cape Town, Joburg, Durban as the original 3 have the most actual cricket clubs separate from school or university ties.

The structure of club cricket in Cape Town I know is Premier League , 1A , 1B , 1C , 1D where they play 2-day games over 2 weekends using 1 day per weekend and then there is also a T20 League. Most clubs get an overseas player from England coming out.

Schoolboy cricket is massive part of our cricketing tradition though.
Mainly being traditional boys schools who have professional coaches. They play provincial schools weeks at u13, u15, u17 & u19 level. CSA look after the really talented players in the pipeline. Often because schoolboy cricket is competitive with strong fixtures every weekend club cricket is only played when they can.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
South Africa

Professional

FRANCHISE CRICKET

Cobras, Warriors, Dolphins, Knights, Lions, Titans

* Basically our 6 main provincial unions are the home base and the smaller unions combining with them.

SEMI-PROFESSIONAL PROVINCIAL CRICKET

Basically all the cricket unions get contracted franchise players not playing for their franchise and then they contract 11 of the best club cricketers/schoolboys. So you either studying or have a job on the side. They play in a 3-day competition and a 1-day competition which is given FC and List A status because these are our actual cricket unions and they didn't want their cricket not recognised. But really it is 2nd XI cricket but the positive is that they playing a higher level of cricket than just club cricket during the season which isn't as strong as it once was in the glory years.

Boland, Western Province , SWD - Cobras
Eastern Province & Border - Warriors
KZN Coastal & KZN Inland - Dolphins
Northern Cape & Free State - Knights
Central Gauteng & North West - Lions
Northerns & Easterns - Titans

The major union in bold considered the home. WP, EP, TVL, Natalthe orginal 4 although Griqualand West (now Northern Cape) was in the main division at the turn of the 19th century. Border, Free State and Northerns eventually had stints in division 1 through the 40-80s.

Basically they pull from Club cricket or school cricket.

Each cricket union will have a club league. The strongest obviously being in the major unions.
In Cape Town , Joburg, Durban & Pretoria actual cricket clubs are still going strong.
The major universities play in the club league UCT, Maties, NMMU, UJ, UFS, Pukke, Tuks - Durban's university not so strong.
Tuks dominate in Pretoria as The University has links with Titans and they basically pull u19 talent from school.
In PE besides NMMU the main club team is Old Greys which are Old Boys from the major cricketing school Grey PE
I would say Cape Town, Joburg, Durban as the original 3 have the most actual cricket clubs separate from school or university ties.

The structure of club cricket in Cape Town I know is Premier League , 1A , 1B , 1C , 1D where they play 2-day games over 2 weekends using 1 day per weekend and then there is also a T20 League. Most clubs get an overseas player from England coming out.

Schoolboy cricket is massive part of our cricketing tradition though.
Mainly being traditional boys schools who have professional coaches. They play provincial schools weeks at u13, u15, u17 & u19 level. CSA look after the really talented players in the pipeline. Often because schoolboy cricket is competitive with strong fixtures every weekend club cricket is only played when they can.
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this SeamUp. I’ve heard previously that the Pretoria Prem is regarded as the strongest standard of club cricket in SA, that may or may not be true I’m sure you’ll have a better idea of that.

You mention that most clubs have an overseas player coming out each season, is there still a desire from club cricketers to travel to play in the UK ? I appreciate that’s quite a general question, but from what you know what are your thoughts ?

Tom Flint

International Regular
Thanks Tom. Yes I’ve not researched those leagues in too much detail yet but was aware they were fairly strong. Don’t suppose you know whether overseas players are prevalent in those leagues or not ?
Yes there are certainly overseas players throughout the league system. It all depends on the club and If they want to spend the money to accomadate them. My club are in 3b and made a decision about 10 years ago not to use any more overseas. But some clubs will have 2 (even though you can only play one in any one xi.) So they alternate between 1sts and 2nds. Despite being against the rules to actually pay a player to play, the clubs still get around it somehow, then depending on how much money a club has to offer means you can occasionally find a 'superstar' overseas in lower divisions. For example we were in 4b 3 years ago and played against a former s.a u19 called chad fortune who had also opened the bowling with Dale Steyn in their domestic t20 apparently. He should have been in a premier club but because berkampsted cc was more attractive for him he ended up playing against us and was streets ahead!

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks very much for taking the time to do this SeamUp. I’ve heard previously that the Pretoria Prem is regarded as the strongest standard of club cricket in SA, that may or may not be true I’m sure you’ll have a better idea of that.

You mention that most clubs have an overseas player coming out each season, is there still a desire from club cricketers to travel to play in the UK ? I appreciate that’s quite a general question, but from what you know what are your thoughts ?
No problem mate.

I think you could say that due to how strong Tuks has been over the years. There is a National Club Champs at the end of the season where Tuks have walked away as Champs at least 5 out of last 6 years. They also won the World University Champs in England a few years back because they had future Proteas in that side (ie Markram, de Bruyn, Ngidi and others).

In Cape Town there is definitely overseas players but I'm not sure about else where. I know Ben Curran has been signed and a few others. Loads of our semi-pro and franchise cricketers play club cricket in England in our winter. The best club cricketers normally playing provincial so you do see these players going to England. I think you will find only young players going this route and they may have taken a gap year to focus on their cricket or they a sure thing to eventually earn a franchise contract. If they studying or got a job it may be tougher to do.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Yes there are certainly overseas players throughout the league system. It all depends on the club and If they want to spend the money to accomadate them. My club are in 3b and made a decision about 10 years ago not to use any more overseas. But some clubs will have 2 (even though you can only play one in any one xi.) So they alternate between 1sts and 2nds. Despite being against the rules to actually pay a player to play, the clubs still get around it somehow, then depending on how much money a club has to offer means you can occasionally find a 'superstar' overseas in lower divisions. For example we were in 4b 3 years ago and played against a former s.a u19 called chad fortune who had also opened the bowling with Dale Steyn in their domestic t20 apparently. He should have been in a premier club but because berkampsted cc was more attractive for him he ended up playing against us and was streets ahead!
Getting those quality overseas players into club cricket is getting more difficult with further restrictions being made on the visa entry so I guess there may be fewer of those top quality overseas players turning up at lower levels. However, if the money is at these clubs and the league regulations allow they will keep bringing them over.

Personally really enjoy playing against the quality overseas player, someone who may go on to play a higher standard and you can say “Yep, I let him comprehensively clean bowl me once!” However, if they are playing at a level way below their own standard it can become a little farcical.

Woodster

International Captain
No problem mate.

I think you could say that due to how strong Tuks has been over the years. There is a National Club Champs at the end of the season where Tuks have walked away as Champs at least 5 out of last 6 years. They also won the World University Champs in England a few years back because they had future Proteas in that side (ie Markram, de Bruyn, Ngidi and others).

In Cape Town there is definitely overseas players but I'm not sure about else where. I know Ben Curran has been signed and a few others. Loads of our semi-pro and franchise cricketers play club cricket in England in our winter. The best club cricketers normally playing provincial so you do see these players going to England. I think you will find only young players going this route and they may have taken a gap year to focus on their cricket or they a sure thing to eventually earn a franchise contract. If they studying or got a job it may be tougher to do.
Markram, de Bruyn and Ngidi is a pretty decent platform for a top side!

As I alluded in my comment above to Tom, with the authorities making it more difficult for top club cricketers (or those that have played representative cricket for u17’s and above) to come and play over here as amateurs there is probably a fall-off in quality in that respect. I’m sure there’s still plenty of cricketers over there that haven’t played representative cricket and would still do a very decent job in club cricket over here.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
The structure here seems to be a bit more like park cricket was in Australia and the UK. There's a t20 comp played earlier in the season and then a limited overs comp around the middle of summer.

There's 4 Divisions for both formats - Elites, then Div 1, 2 & 3. You can only have one team from your club playing Elite division but you can have more in the others as there's promotion and relegation. It's a mixture of 50, 40 and 30 over games depending on the division. It's all split north/south with the top two meeting in the Allsvenskan final. Most of the northern teams are based in and around Stockholm and the southern teams around Gothenburg and Malmö. The only exception seems to be Umeå, who fly down and play most of their away matches in one hit.

The season is actually surprisingly long (April-September). There aren't any grass wickets yet, although the government is starting to invest in the sport as it sees it as a good way to integrate the refugee population with the locals. Talking to some of the guys at the club I was training with, the popularity and the quality has increased quite considerably in only a couple of seasons which is attracting some good overseas imports.

I don't think anyone is quite sure exactly how the national team is picked, it seems as long as you say only good things about the board members, you're in.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
All you need to know about the North East Premier League is South Northumberland (based in Gosforth), of Marcus North fame, destroy everyone. They're like the 1980s Windies of North East England club cricket, and have strengthened further for next season as they have just signed De Toit from Newcastle!

I actually feel, and I'm being serious here, that they'd whip Durham in an one-dayer.

They have been a superpower for the last decade basically, not just regionally but nationally.

Woodster

International Captain
The structure here seems to be a bit more like park cricket was in Australia and the UK. There's a t20 comp played earlier in the season and then a limited overs comp around the middle of summer.

There's 4 Divisions for both formats - Elites, then Div 1, 2 & 3. You can only have one team from your club playing Elite division but you can have more in the others as there's promotion and relegation. It's a mixture of 50, 40 and 30 over games depending on the division. It's all split north/south with the top two meeting in the Allsvenskan final. Most of the northern teams are based in and around Stockholm and the southern teams around Gothenburg and Malmö. The only exception seems to be Umeå, who fly down and play most of their away matches in one hit.

The season is actually surprisingly long (April-September). There aren't any grass wickets yet, although the government is starting to invest in the sport as it sees it as a good way to integrate the refugee population with the locals. Talking to some of the guys at the club I was training with, the popularity and the quality has increased quite considerably in only a couple of seasons which is attracting some good overseas imports.

I don't think anyone is quite sure exactly how the national team is picked, it seems as long as you say only good things about the board members, you're in.
Really interesting, thank you. I knew nothing at all about the structure in Sweden so that’s really helpful. Is there much money about for overseas players and do many clubs go down this route, that you’re aware of ?