• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cleverly? Stupidly more like...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From The Guardian.

Our somewhat callow foreign secretary scores a spectacular own goal by calling for LGBTQ+ football fans to,

"please do be respectful of the host nation. They are trying to ensure that people can be themselves and enjoy the football, and I think with a little bit of flex and compromise at both end"

I mean, obviously, right? The Qataris normally stone your sort; they're meeting you halfway so butch it up a little, eh? Wanker.

A staggeringly ill-considered remark. Talk about victim blaming.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't suppose he offered any suggestions for how LGBT fans are supposed to meet their end of this 'compromise'?

Howe_zat

Audio File
You may already know that usually draconian rules around alcohol sale and consumption are going to be significantly altered for 'designated' bars and hotels set up for fans, so the Qatari authorities seemingly have no problem ignoring their divine excuses for controlling people when it comes to making a quick buck.

So the need to be steadfast to their morals in the face of a tenth or so of the population existing, rather than setting up kiosks happily dispensing marked-up pride flags and t-shirts is a notably deliberate choice from the hosts.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You may already know that usually draconian rules around alcohol sale and consumption are going to be significantly altered for 'designated' bars and hotels set up for fans, so the Qatari authorities seemingly have no problem ingoring their divine excuses for controlling people when it comes to making a quick buck.

So the need to be steadfast to their morals in the face of a tenth or so of the population existing, rather than setting up kiosks happily dispensing marked-up pride flags and t-shirts is a notably deliberate choice from the hosts.
I'd imagine this is the result of a compromise hashed out by the (speaking relatively) liberal faction and the hardline Islamists.

Someone really needs to write an under-the-hood explanation of Qatari politics and the place of the World Cup in it. I haven't seen any of that reported on at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meanwhile, world leading human rights campaigners the Socceroos have released a video in which 16 players call out Qatar's human rights record.

Australia under a Labor government once again on the right side of history, though I expect the same people who said Pat Cummins shouldn't be woke won't say much here, because brown Muslims are involved.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From The Guardian.

Our somewhat callow foreign secretary scores a spectacular own goal by calling for LGBTQ+ football fans to,

"please do be respectful of the host nation. They are trying to ensure that people can be themselves and enjoy the football, and I think with a little bit of flex and compromise at both end"

I mean, obviously, right? The Qataris normally stone your sort; they're meeting you halfway so butch it up a little, eh? Wanker.

A staggeringly ill-considered remark. Talk about victim blaming.
It's obviously phrased with the compassion and subtlety of a brick, but some people might genuinely not have known and ended up in legal trouble over it so I can see why they decided to give some sort of warning.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have previously ended up in hot water for condemning certain nations. Especially those with...er..."inadequate" attitudes to LGBT persons. So...

1666850011817.png

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Are we talking CW or academia here?

Outrageous either way.
Haha on CW. Tbf though it was a stupid off-hand comment, in which I did not think carefully about the connotations of a certain word used, and my remark had nothing to do with said country's attitudes to LGBT issues.