• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic pieces of commentary

Camel56

Banned
Does anyone remember a piece of commentary (i think by John Arlott) during a West Indies V England test series in the 1980s? He'd been waiting all series for it to happen and finally Peter Willy bowling to Michael Holding.

"The batsmens Holding the bowlers Willy."

twctopcat

International Regular
Camel56 said:
Does anyone remember a piece of commentary (i think by John Arlott) during a West Indies V England test series in the 1980s? He'd been waiting all series for it to happen and finally Peter Willy bowling to Michael Holding.

"The batsmens Holding the bowlers Willy."
It was "the bowlers holding the batsmen willey" classic stuff. The other famous one is the one where botham "couldn't quite get his leg over" when he was out hit wicket. Aggers and Johnston broke down to say the least. :D :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It was 'The Bowlers Holding, the batsman's Willey' and it was Brian Johnstone.

some others

"On the outfield, hundreds of small boys are playing with their balls." - Rex Alston (BBC)

"Ray Illingworth has just relieved himself at the pavilion end." - Brian Johnston (BBC Radio)

my favorite

"He's usually a good puller, but that time he couldn't get it up." - Richie Benaud (Channel 9)

Maybe this should be in humour though

Langeveldt

Soutie
He's standing at second slip, legs apart, waiting for a tickle - Richy Benaud

Anything that comes out of Kerry O'Keefe's mouth is usually classic :)

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
In the 1995 World series cricket finals, Australia played Australia at the MCG and suprisingly, Mark Taylor (skipper) brought Boon on to bowl his gentle off spinners, to try to contain the A team who were doing well.

In the com box, Ian Chappell couldn't believe what he was seeing as Boon's deliveries barely reached the batsmen. 'David boon is bowling Nude balls - there's nothing to them' He said. Then Richie Benaud said 'I'm sure all those closely related to him, particularly his dearly beloved, would have plenty to say about that, Chappelli'.

:happy:

Camel56

Banned
Bill Lawry to Rob Marsh re an apparant injury to Mahanama;

"I think theres something wrong with Mahanama, Rod"

"I dont know Bill, seems like a pretty appropriate place for it."