• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic Draft

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
1 Glenn Turner (nz)
2 Sanath Jayasuriya (sl)
3 *Ricky Ponting (aus)
4 Sachin Tendulkar (ind)
5 Denis Compton (eng)
6 +MS Dhoni (ind)
7 Monty Noble (aus)
8 Ian Botham (eng)
9 Malcolm Marshall (wi)
10 Rashid Khan (afg)
11 Shoaib Akhtar (pak)

Solid middle order (up there with Pothas and Red Hill), two excellent fast bowlers and one who is allowed to roam free, couple of spin options and deep batting.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Vijay Merchant
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman*
Zaheer Abbas
Clyde Walcott+
Clive Rice
Shakib Al Hasan
Ravi Ashwin
Chaminda Vaas
Jack Cowie
Ian Bishop

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1 Glenn Turner (nz)
2 Sanath Jayasuriya (sl)
3 *Ricky Ponting (aus)
4 Sachin Tendulkar (ind)
5 Denis Compton (eng)
6 +MS Dhoni (ind)
7 Monty Noble (aus)
8 Ian Botham (eng)
9 Malcolm Marshall (wi)
10 Rashid Khan (afg)
11 Shoaib Akhtar (pak)

Solid middle order (up there with Pothas and Red Hill), two excellent fast bowlers and one who is allowed to roam free, couple of spin options and deep batting.
I'd probably bat Botham at 6, which strengthens your middle order and drops Dhoni to a more traditional number 7 position. But if still probably bat Noble ahead of Dhoni too, so maybe Dhoni should drop to 8.

Did Jayasuriya ever open in tests?

stephen

Vijay Merchant
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman*
Zaheer Abbas
Clyde Walcott+
Clive Rice
Shakib Al Hasan
Ravi Ashwin
Chaminda Vaas
Jack Cowie
Ian Bishop
That's a pretty decent side but you can tell the drop in quality due to the missing picks. Having to pick Ashwin for his batting is a bit gross (was Jadeja available? He'd have been better). One of the reasons I took Verity over Underwood was his batting. He and Warne are the only top 10 spinners who could bat.

stephen

The XI:-

01. Jack Hobbs.
02. Hanif Mohammad.
03. Rahul Dravid.
04. Wally Hammond. © (5)
05. Steve Waugh. (6)
06. AB De Villiers. (+)
07. Mominul Haque.
08. Shane Bond. (2)
09. Muttiah Muralitharan. (4)
10. Glenn McGrath. (1)
11. Courtney Walsh. (3)
9 of your players are really good. Hanif and Mominul letting the side down a bit but overall this side is excellent.

ataraxia

International Coach
That's a pretty decent side but you can tell the drop in quality due to the missing picks. Having to pick Ashwin for his batting is a bit gross (was Jadeja available? He'd have been better). One of the reasons I took Verity over Underwood was his batting. He and Warne are the only top 10 spinners who could bat.
Benaud is arguably a top 10 spinner; Laker, Grimmett, and O'Reilly are decent bats as well.

stephen

Benaud is arguably a top 10 spinner; Laker, Grimmett, and O'Reilly are decent bats as well.
That's true. Verity was the only one available when I got to picking a spinner. But yeah Benaud is probably the best atg spinner with the bat. Combined with his captaincy he's an excellent draft pick.

stephen

He mostly opened in Tests (152 innings out of 188).
For some reason I had it in my head that he tended to bat in the middle order in tests. He did bat in the middle order in tests but nowhere near as often as he opened.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If anyone want to post a voting thread, feel free. I wont get to it for a day or two, and tbh I dont really care about voting threads for drafts as I just enjoy the drafting process, but if anyone has time and wants to post one, feel free.

Thanks for participating, I enjoyed it!

Teuton

International Captain
I'd probably bat Botham at 6, which strengthens your middle order and drops Dhoni to a more traditional number 7 position. But if still probably bat Noble ahead of Dhoni too, so maybe Dhoni should drop to 8.

Did Jayasuriya ever open in tests?
Dhoni would be wasted at 8. I reckon he is a better bat than the others so I would leave him at 6

stephen

Dhoni would be wasted at 8. I reckon he is a better bat than the others so I would leave him at 6
In tests? Nah. Botham was way better with the bat and Noble probably was too. I wouldn't bat Dhoni higher than 7 ever in tests.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
9 of your players are really good. Hanif and Mominul letting the side down a bit but overall this side is excellent.
IMO, Hanif is still fine. He was a very good batsman and is usually considered amongst the Top-5 batsmen Pakistan have produced.

Monimul, yeah. But tbh most have a meh/average player in their ranks except a handful maybe. So, yeah.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
If anyone want to post a voting thread, feel free. I wont get to it for a day or two, and tbh I dont really care about voting threads for drafts as I just enjoy the drafting process, but if anyone has time and wants to post one, feel free.

Thanks for participating, I enjoyed it!
Thanks for conducting the draft, mate.

Was a lot of fun taking part in it.

If you want, I can put up the voting thread for the draft.