• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Gayle willing to quit West Indies captaincy

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hasn't he already tried, at least once? And BTSOT, he'll be trying again pretty soon.

I've said it before, but Gayle just doesn't fit the traditional archetype of captain, not at all. So him being captain is always going to offend the sensibility of plenty.
Yeah, true. Tbh, I don't really care whether he wants to play tests or not. I just don't really like the constant wingeing. Also, I think it's a bit unfair on his team-mates. Sure, he wants to play IPL. But there's only about three/four West Indians who'd play IPL, so for the rest this series is a good opportunity for the majority of the team because they're apparently being paid loads compared to a normal tour, and also it's a good chance for them to cement themselves into the team.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Agree with the opinion that Chris Gayle does not appear to be the most willing of captains. Gayle would be more than happy to just stand at slip all day, send down some over’s, then have a swing with the bat; nothing more.

Cannot ignore that he is one of the more successful West Indian captains in years. But it is hard to suggest that Gayle's captaincy has been a reason for the turnaround in West Indian fortunes. That can be attributed to certain talented individuals stepping up there game (Sarwan, Taylor).

I hope he stays on as captain. Never been a fan of Sarwan as leader, Chanderpaul doesn’t require the burden and none of the other players are secure enough in the team to hold the captaincy role. For cricketing fans, it is great for the game to have Gayle in-charge. Possibly the most unique personality in the game. He provides us with numerous opportunities to discuss different aspects of the game. Can you really imagine Andrew Strauss, Ricky Ponting, Dan Vettori coming out with such articles? Hardly.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle Force said:
Gayle was the subject of much criticism for extending his IPL stint with the Kolkata Knight Riders and joining his West Indies team-mates only 48 hours before the first Test at Lord's, a match which they lost inside three days. Strauss had said that "we wouldn't want our players to arrive two days before" a Test. He said that it was important for Test cricket to get the attention it deserved and that it shouldn't be devalued in "any way, shape or form".

Gayle, however, responded to the England captain's comments by saying that the matter "doesn't concern him". "Focus on his team, don't worry about West Indies, don't worry about me," Gayle said. "Tell him don't sleep with Chris on his mind, tell him get Chris off his mind."

Gayle Force said:
While Gayle said he wouldn't be worried if the primacy of Test cricket reduced, he said Strauss should because he may not be able to adapt to the shorter format. Strauss, who is England's Test and ODI captain, isn't part of the squad for the World Twenty20 in June.

"I wouldn't be so sad [about the demise of Test cricket]," Gayle said. "Some other players would be. Maybe Andrew Strauss would be sad. Maybe he will be sad if Test cricket dies and Twenty20 comes in. Because there is no way he can make the change. So tough luck. I like Twenty20 since it come about now. I like it. Who doesn't? Maybe a couple of the Englishmen wouldn't like to play Twenty20."
:laugh::lol::lol:, Chris Gayle 2 the BUMBACLATHHHH WORLDDDD....Yardman forever, that nigga made a mess of Strauss & England the gangster way!!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sad comments from Gayle and if he goes, Ramdin may become captain. :-O You know the guy who can't even average over 25 with the bat.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It's the start of the slide, and everyone is too engrossed in the watered down baseball we have tarnishing our very hallowed turfs at the moment.. Everyone wants cheerleaders muffs and thats precisely what they will get when everyone goes the way of Gayle.. Perhaps we'll be left with a crowd of journeymen who actually like 4-5 day cricket playing.. Recalls for Mark Lathwell and Philip Tuffnell anyone?

Polo23

International Debutant
It's the start of the slide, and everyone is too engrossed in the watered down baseball we have tarnishing our very hallowed turfs at the moment.. Everyone wants cheerleaders muffs and thats precisely what they will get when everyone goes the way of Gayle.. Perhaps we'll be left with a crowd of journeymen who actually like 4-5 day cricket playing.. Recalls for Mark Lathwell and Philip Tuffnell anyone?
^ what he said.

Really disappointing what Gayle has said, even more so because he was one of my favourite cricketers. Not that he would care at all, but i've lost a lot of respect for him now. Test cricket IS cricket, if that goes, then so does cricket all together.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Agree with the people earlier on, think it's more of a reflection of annoyance at the current situation than him wishing for the death of Test cricket.

It would be interesting to ask him how he much he enjoyed the recent Test success against England.

pasag

RTDAS
WI and Pakistan, the only two sides where being a captain of the national cricket team seems to be a burden, not a privilege.

shivfan

Banned
Deeply depressing to hear any top player thinking it wouldn't be a shame to see T20 wipe out Test cricket.
I don't have a problem with that statement....

I don't see why we all need to worship at the alter of Test cricket, and treat it as if it's a deity that stands above us all to marvel at.

There are a lot of young cricket fans who have no time for Test cricket, and are only interested in 20/20 or ODI cricket. And in the Caribbean, the Test crowds have dwindled so much. But 20/20 internationals in the Caribbean are sold out!

So, Gayle and company earn more playing 20/20 cricket, get larger crowds, and perform well in that format. He's just speaking the truth as he sees it....

Better than some of those cricketers, who just put out the PR platitudes in honour of the Great Lord Test Cricket.
:dry:

shivfan

Banned
Agree with the opinion that Chris Gayle does not appear to be the most willing of captains. Gayle would be more than happy to just stand at slip all day, send down some over’s, then have a swing with the bat; nothing more.

Cannot ignore that he is one of the more successful West Indian captains in years. But it is hard to suggest that Gayle's captaincy has been a reason for the turnaround in West Indian fortunes. That can be attributed to certain talented individuals stepping up there game (Sarwan, Taylor).

I hope he stays on as captain. Never been a fan of Sarwan as leader, Chanderpaul doesn’t require the burden and none of the other players are secure enough in the team to hold the captaincy role. For cricketing fans, it is great for the game to have Gayle in-charge. Possibly the most unique personality in the game. He provides us with numerous opportunities to discuss different aspects of the game. Can you really imagine Andrew Strauss, Ricky Ponting, Dan Vettori coming out with such articles? Hardly.
We have to look at the recent history of WI captaincy, and in comparison, Gayle has been successful....

That cannot be ignored.

However, it is unfortunate that he's considering giving it up. I hope he'll re-consider, because he's achieved something that has been missing from the WI team for many years - team unity.

That is more important, IMHO, than being an astute mind or leader. I really can't see Ramdin taking on the dual role of Test captain and wicketkeeper. The only other candidate for Test captain, IMO, is Sarwan....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think there are a lot of factors in play here reflecting well and poorly on a number of people.

I dont like Gayle (granted Ive never met him). I dont like his attitude, I dislike his demeanor, I think he looks and acts like a clown and I almost find him offensive to look at.

That said, he is perfectly justified to like different things to me and to others. If Gayle prefers T20 to Test cricket then that is a personal choice. Obviously people are not all cut from the same cloth. Just because I dont like the mentality (or at least the mentality publicly presented) of Gayle doesnt mean he shouldnt be able to pursue what he like. Different personality types should be able to do what pleases them, rather than being shackled by the thoughts of others.

Though clearly, this isnt good news for the bigger picture of WI cricket.

With T20, things will come to a head soon. I think it is essential that we retain the right to criticize players for certain decisions (eg playing T20 over Tests) but never deny them their choices to do so.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
I think Gayle was having fun with the reporter tbh.

I have followed his entire career closely and I believe he has taken a 'fugg the press' approach since they laid into him just before the 1st test. He was giving deliberately difficult and angry answers IMHO.

Still I believe he was speaking the truth when talking about the captaincy not being natural to him, even if he was exaggerating the whole 'I want to quit asap' thing.
I think this is an important point....

Say what you will about Stanford, but a lot of WI players considered him a friend, and were scandalised at the way the English press relished writing negative articles about him. As a result, a lot of WI players don't trust the English press - with good reason!
:unsure:
Reading between the lines, it's obvious that the Guardian interview was a difficult one. I'm speaking here as a former newspaper journalist myself....

And it's also apparent that the Guardian journo was asking a lot of leading questions. I'm sure the interview didn't end on a good note, which would explain the slant given to it....

shivfan

Banned
I think there are a lot of factors in play here reflecting well and poorly on a number of people.

I dont like Gayle (granted Ive never met him). I dont like his attitude, I dislike his demeanor, I think he looks and acts like a clown and I almost find him offensive to look at.

That said, he is perfectly justified to like different things to me and to others. If Gayle prefers T20 to Test cricket then that is a personal choice. Obviously people are not all cut from the same cloth. Just because I dont like the mentality (or at least the mentality publicly presented) of Gayle doesnt mean he shouldnt be able to pursue what he like. Different personality types should be able to do what pleases them, rather than being shackled by the thoughts of others.

Though clearly, this isnt good news for the bigger picture of WI cricket.

With T20, things will come to a head soon. I think it is essential that we retain the right to criticize players for certain decisions (eg playing T20 over Tests) but never deny them their choices to do so.
Similarly, there are a lot of young fans in the Caribbean who share Gayle's view that 20/20 might be more important than Test cricket....

So, while I personally don't agree with him - being a fan of Test cricket - I think he's totally within his rights to say so. So, I support him where that statement is concerned. I don't place test cricket on this deified pedestal, where it must be worshipped at all costs, and heretics are burnt at the stake....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Similarly, there are a lot of young fans in the Caribbean who share Gayle's view that 20/20 might be more important than Test cricket....

So, while I personally don't agree with him - being a fan of Test cricket - I think he's totally within his rights to say so. So, I support him where that statement is concerned. I don't place test cricket on this deified pedestal, where it must be worshipped at all costs, and heretics are burnt at the stake....
Yeah, as much as we may disagree with Gayle, all we can do is defend our position and allow him (and others) to choose their own path.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuck.

He doesn't deserve to captain the West Indies.
Haha, this is a strange comment. He doesn't want to! The whole interview was about how much he hates being the captain!

If anything, by your logic he does deserve to captain the West Indies as punishment for making such statements.

Hope he was havin' a laff though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't see why we all need to worship at the alter of Test cricket, and treat it as if it's a deity that stands above us all to marvel at.
Because that's how those who view themselves as proper fans of the game view the situation as. We consider our POV to be the right one, and thus hope that it will be one that spreads as far and wide as possible.

People who consider themselves true fans of the game of cricket always put the Test match game at the top of the tree.

A different POV is of course something anyone is perfectly entitled to, but it's not something that will go down well with those of us who view ourselves as true fans of the game.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
As a fan of cricket I really do not like to hear an international player say they wouldnt care if test cricket died off. I believe it is the true form of the game and the other forms are more fun and to make it accessable to more people. However, his personal opinion is his opinion and he has a right to it.

If he doesnt want to captain his country then what is the point in him doing it? The body language of the West Indian team in the last test was dreadful and if you have someone at the helm who doesnt even want to be there then it is not going to improve. If someone doesnt come in and lift the team from what they were like at Lords then the West Indies will struggle.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
It's no good you sitting on the fence, Goughy.

I'm intrigued to find out what makes him (almost) offensive to look at.