• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose your 3 man pace attack in Tests (post 1970)

What is your 3 man pace attack in Tests (post 1970)

• Marshall

Votes: 45 93.8%
  • Anderson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walsh

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Ambrose

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Hadlee

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Pollock

• Roberts

• Steyn

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Lillee

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Younis

• Garner

• Khan

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Akram

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Donald

• Holding

• Mcgrath

Votes: 32 66.7%

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Why exactly? I actually think the opposite. Garner on this forum seems to be overrated as a test bowler. Though I admit as a third seamer he is a good contrast.
Well they have almost completely overlapping careers except Garner took his wickets about 3 runs cheaper and took about 10 more than Holding.

Slifer

International Captain
Why exactly? I actually think the opposite. Garner on this forum seems to be overrated as a test bowler. Though I admit as a third seamer he is a good contrast.
Second best average of any bowler with 200+ wickets. Excellent SR, excellent econ, excellent home and away stats. Took a wicket in every test he played . Thanks to his height and Yorker, took the pitch completely out of the equation. How exactly is Garner overrated here?? I for one am happy the big guy is getting the praise he deserves. Outstanding top shelf bowler .

subshakerz

International Coach
Well they have almost completely overlapping careers except Garner took his wickets about 3 runs cheaper and took about 10 more than Holding.
Garner never took a tenfer and had less fifers, but statistically overall they are comparable.

subshakerz

International Coach
Second best average of any bowler with 200+ wickets. Excellent SR, excellent econ, excellent home and away stats. Took a wicket in every test he played . Thanks to his height and Yorker, took the pitch completely out of the equation. How exactly is Garner overrated here?? I for one am happy the big guy is getting the praise he deserves. Outstanding top shelf bowler .
I saw in the other thread quite a few putting Garner in their top ten pacers ever, despite not having 300 wickets, never taking a tenfer nor really being rated as highly by his peers as Holding much less Marshall.

My impression of Garner was that he obviously is a great bowler, but was more as part of the pack mopping up wickets after Marshall/Roberts and Holding had inflicted damage, rather than as a standout bowler.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holding was incredibly rapid especially when he was younger but I think Garner offered a fair bit more. Holding to my mind wasn't someone who prodigiously moved the ball, whereas Garner's height made him a nightmare, he had a devastating yorker and could seam the ball back in.

He was a nightmare, really. Look at his average, and he never got taken to. Amazing bowler.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
The correct answer (ignoring batting prowess) is Marshall, Akram, and one of McGrath or Ambrose. Would be an unstoppable attack with left arm/right balance, the ability to move the old and new ball and taking wickets in a multitude of ways (accuracy, sheer pace, bounce, swing, seam etc.)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Holding was incredibly rapid especially when he was younger but I think Garner offered a fair bit more. Holding to my mind wasn't someone who prodigiously moved the ball, whereas Garner's height made him a nightmare, he had a devastating yorker and could seam the ball back in.

He was a nightmare, really. Look at his average, and he never got taken to. Amazing bowler.
Basically this. He would also play the role of our "spinner" or the stop bowler role that Walsh would fill in later decades. But he also was incredibly successful as an opening bowler alongside Marshall. That mush have been a nightmare. Short, rapid and skiddy from one end and Garners height, bounce and accurately from the other. And that Yorker.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So the results for the two opening bowlers have been very conclusive.

So who would be the ultimate 3rd option to compliment those 2.

Either if only factoring in bowling skill or also looking at variety or the ability to contribute with the bat.
From the vote above it seems like Hadlee and while he does have the chops with the bat, he's so similar to McGrath.

The only real options seems to be (in order by votes)
Hadlee
Akram
Ambrose
Imran
Steyn

subshakerz

International Coach
The correct answer (ignoring batting prowess) is Marshall, Akram, and one of McGrath or Ambrose. Would be an unstoppable attack with left arm/right balance, the ability to move the old and new ball and taking wickets in a multitude of ways (accuracy, sheer pace, bounce, swing, seam etc.)
I think this is going in the right direction.

Basically:

All-round best: Malcolm Marshall

+

Seam and accuracy: McGrath/Hadlee/Ambrose

+

Reverse x-factor: Wasim/Imran/Steyn

Flem274*

123/5
My all time team uses Marshall, Hadlee, Imran so the seconds can't use depth against me but if I disregarded batting and wanted the most balanced trio possible I'd go McGrath, Marshall and Wasim.
My thoughts exactly. Might go Shane Bond for the 3rd spot just for something a bit different.
oh ****, wrong account

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn expected more votes for steyn. Do I overrate him? I guess if not steyn, akram would be my third choice. He's probably not better than hadlee/ambrose, but he offers something different.

Also for holding vs garner, I'd say garner was the better bowler, but holding would compliment marshall/ambrose better.
I voted for him as well. To me he seems the perfect complement for the other two.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath for metronomic accuracy, Khan for the ridiculous variations he brings in, and the explosiveness when he is on a role. Marshall in between, and the best.