• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charl Langevelt: Exactly how good was he?

How good was Charl Langevelt?

• Waste of selection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just another 'Wasteman'

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A good bowler, no more, no less

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • All time good bowler

• Bow before the Lange!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other....(discuss in thread)

• Total voters

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
He had a decent purple patch in the mid noughties, would probably have had more than 6 test matches were transformation targets not such a sensitive hot button issue. Possibly one of the more effective death bowlers of his day. Where do you rate him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember him returning some excellent figures against England in one of the matches before the start of the 2004/05 series. But he was then overlooked for the first test and Steyn was picked ahead of him. That looks fair enough now but Steyn was very young at the time and didn't have an especially effective test match; England ending up winning comfortably. I was grateful to the SA selectors, but I don't know what the SA supporters thought about it.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember him returning some excellent figures against England in one of the matches before the start of the 2004/05 series. But he was then overlooked for the first test and Steyn was picked ahead of him. That looks fair enough now but Steyn was very young at the time and didn't have an especially effective test match; England ending up winning comfortably. I was grateful to the SA selectors, but I don't know what the SA supporters thought about it.
Seems strange to think of now but early Steyn really wasn't very good. Had pace but sprayed it around somewhat, bowled a hell of a lot of front foot noeys too iirc.

Was a weird period for the South African bowling attack, those couple of years after Allan Donald finished up. They tried a few guys (Nel, Nantie Hayward, Dewald Pretorius, probably a couple of others I can't recall at this stage) looking for a pace spearhead, generally without great success

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems strange to think of now but early Steyn really wasn't very good. Had pace but sprayed it around somewhat, bowled a hell of a lot of front foot noeys too iirc.

Was a weird period for the South African bowling attack, those couple of years after Allan Donald finished up. They tried a few guys (Nel, Nantie Hayward, Dewald Pretorius, probably a couple of others I can't recall at this stage) looking for a pace spearhead, generally without great success
Monde Zondeki was the guy.