• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell fingering fans

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
shankar said:
Just because somebody else acted foolishly doesn't make Chappell's actions any less foolish.
What bothers me is that regionalism is so rampant and can incinerate a small spark into something so big.

Slow Love™

International Captain
honestbharani said:
yeah, but he is saying that he was only attending to an injured finger inside the bus and that the cameras had caught what was a private thing inside the bus.
There may well be only one person in the whole world that bought that story. :p

Shounak

Banned
C_C said:
I find it hard to believe that you think that yet you say you go to India regularly. Flipping the bird in India in a largely adult and/or social gathering is taken much harshly than in the western societies.
You should know that or if you dont, maybe you should get out into the country more often and not just stick to metropolitan areas - to most of those in India who understand what flipping the bird means, its deeply offensive.
Any type of verbal assault is taken more seriously in India. Individually is one thing though, doing it to a collective group of people is a completely different thing..

The Indian crowd often jeer at the players, I remember one of the Australian (possibly Indian) players said that the crowd just kept spouting insults at him. Things about his mother being a whore and similar such comments. All they want is a reaction, would those kinds of people take offence? I doubt it..

BTW, I'm not justifying GC's action (or hypothetical action), simply saying that saying it's culturally sensitive is crap.. Australians would respond similarly if Ganguly or Gavaskar (if he was coaching the Aussies) flipped them the bird.

Who in India would take personal offence to GC's actions?

Shounak

Banned
C_C said:
Do you think it is fair to say that Canadians in general would feel offended if a Saudi Football Coach likened Canadian women to hookers for dressing scantily ?
You should travel a bit more before you form any notions about what constitutes respecting a culture and what doesnt.
You're using extremes like you often do.. GC's action did not imply anything of that sort.. If he did it, it was not a personal insult like that.. He did not liken the Indian crowd to prostitutes or anything similar to that..

But no, I don't think Canadians in general would be offended by that. They would just realise what a stupid remark it is, disagree with everything about the comment and forget about it..

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
yeah, but he is saying that he was only attending to an injured finger inside the bus and that the cameras had caught what was a private thing inside the bus.
Given the title of this thread, I can understand how that may have happened! :D

Son Of Coco

Pratyush said:
I would put it like this - it was a wrong thing to do if it was done (Chappell has denied it).

But it gives the Ganguly supporters-no-matter among fans and in the media some thing to use against Chappell in as strong a voice as they can manage.

Also an opportunity for flame searching media for some thing to write about.

Did Chappell have to attend to his finger by sticking it out of the team bus soon after boarding it? Or is it an excuse. I dont know as I was not on that team bus. But it was unprofessional of Chappell if he did show his finger - what appears - from a general perspective and showed lack of common sense if he did it from the perspectives I mentioned above.
Maybe it was wet and he was trying to dry it before he put a band aid on it! Don't be so close-minded people! :p

Son Of Coco

Prince EWS said:
If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.

They appointed Chappell because they thought they had the most chance of improving under him, not because they thought he would be a PR man or because they thought his actions would be viewed in good light by Indian culture. They appointed an Australian coach, and he is going to act Australian.
That's a pretty ignorant statement. You have a responsibility to respect another country's culture when you travel through it...not the other way around.

I'm also bewildered at the 'acting Australian' statement as I always thought I was Australian, but I certainly don't act like that when overseas...

C_C

International Captain
shounak said:
You're using extremes like you often do.. GC's action did not imply anything of that sort.. If he did it, it was not a personal insult like that.. He did not liken the Indian crowd to prostitutes or anything similar to that..

But no, I don't think Canadians in general would be offended by that. They would just realise what a stupid remark it is, disagree with everything about the comment and forget about it..
Yes, i am using extremes. Its simply a way to make a point to those who miss the subtle differences or similarities.
And yes, Canucks would be offended by it.