• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul, is he great ?

Chanderpaul is great ?

• Total voters

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Useless Argument. I dont understand why anyone would want a player to go out when he is at his best ?
Well, a lot of players choose to do that - like Warne and McGrath. They never wanted to be a burden to their team and wanted to be remembered rightly. It was also "time" in the sense that they had accomplished all they could have. So too for Gilchrist, who himself says 2005 should have been the end of it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Is it just me, or has Lara's legacy seemed to have diminished pretty quickly?

Obviously a great player but the shine seemed to go off his career pretty quickly. More so than will happen with Tendulkar.

I could be wrong though; I freely admit that I am not close to the pulse of cricket public opinion.
Indian public opinion is a fickle as the weather. It can be known only for the day. That too may change by the evening.

I think posterity will think of Lara as the all time great as he was. This forum or anyother for that matter, is no place to judge that. I have seen the greatest batsman tag pass through many hands here. Tendulkar Lara, Tendulkar Lara, Waugh, Lara, Inzemam Lara, Hayden, Hussy, Hayden and on and on and on.

Tendulkar has been called the greatest ever to the most overhyped ever. His fate is worse because the hype was the "mostest" . The higher the pedestal they place you on the harder you fall.

Posterity has somewhat more objectivity than the current 'folks'

Redbacks

International Captain
Exactly how is that argument true? Australia needed Ponting to fire now, when they lost their big guns, and has he?
when you make up an abstract criteria you could twist about any statement. A boundary is in fact a boundary whether Warne was playing or not. His 83 won us this series anyway IMO.

We didn't need him to fire with the big guns, his runs didn't count :laugh: success built on the back of.....? :wacko: