• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA's top 20 batting performances in Australia since 2000

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You're into whatever you can get your filthy hands on mate....and don't pretend otherwise.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't really a keen follower of Australia domestic cricket but Stuart Clark pretty much became an automatic selection as soon as he got in around 2006, so he should have probably played in Ashes 2005. Him and Hussey might well have got Australia over the line. All these things are really only hindsight wisdom, though.
he got called in for cover halfway though the series, I think because he was playing County. I suspect if we looked for posts in that era they'd be cries of NSW bias

From memory Clark didn't have a brilliant domestic season in 2004/05, so he wasn't really on the selectors radar so much at the time.

Sloon on the other hand had a damn amazing season, blasting quality batsman out left right and centre even while playing half his games on Les Burdett highways. That was probably the best he ever bowled, had an indifferent Ashes, then was pretty much never the same thereafter. The pace was still there, but only for a few overs until he was completely gassed
Well it wasn't brilliant in that he had the lowest average of the 4 NSW bowlers...but he still took 40 wickets at 24. 6 other seamers took 40 wickets though and the bulk of outrage, as I recall, was on Bracken missing selection. Clark's 03/04 I think was below 30 though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure Bichel was that great around 2005

Should have just gone with Stuart Clark

they even gave Shaun Tait a game
Just an update on this. Bichel took 60 wickets at an average of 22 in the 04/05 season. Behind only Tait, who took 65 at 20.

stephen

That was the year Bevan had his Bradmanesque year averaging 97 with 8 tons in 9 matches.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
That was the year Bevan had his Bradmanesque year averaging 97 with 8 tons in 9 matches.
Bevan at test level always perplexed me, people claimed it was an issie with the bouncer but I can't picture how you can average near 60 in the 200's shield/county circuit and not have said short ball issue exploited.

TheJediBrah

Bevan at test level always perplexed me, people claimed it was an issie with the bouncer but I can't picture how you can average near 60 in the 200's shield/county circuit and not have said short ball issue exploited.
The short-ball thing was always bollocks. I think he got out a couple times that way during his short Test career and that's all it takes to earn a reputation sometimes.

stephen

He didn't. His issues at test level were all mental. Any other era he's getting 70+ tests and averaging 45+ in tests. He had one bad Ashes series and one good series versus the West Indies.

TheJediBrah

He didn't. His issues at test level were all mental. Any other era he's getting 70+ tests and averaging 45+ in tests. He had one bad Ashes series and one good series versus the West Indies.
Didn't even have to be a different era. Something as simple as him getting the nod in 2000 over Martyn when Ponting was injured and Bevan more or less has the career that Martyn had. Possibly even better.

stephen

Bevan's 87* at Perth against Ambrose and Walsh doesn't get enough credit. Top scored for Australia on a terrible pitch where Ambrose got man of the match. You'd think if he did have a problem vs the short ball they would have sorted him out.

Similarly he got out mostly to part timers when facing Donald and Pollock. Cronje, McMillan, Symcox et al... You'd think Donald would have sorted him if he genuinely was weak against the short stuff.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just saw this list in video form

A lot of big first innings centuries in very flat conditions against average at best bowling attacks overrated in their ranking imo (Tendulkar, Ponting, etc.) due to the wins that occurred due to collapses/great bowling performances later.

Laxman's 167 was ranked very highly in the Wisden 100 list iirc and deserves better than number 15 on this list considering the innings above it. It was a run-a-ball mauling of one of the greatest bowling attacks of all time for a debut century (batting average of 23 in 17 games till then) while the batting entirely collapsed around him. Just incredibly aggressive yet pure cricket shots along the ground off the middle of the bat including several pulls and drives of McGrath.

I agree it's not quite on the same level as the 281 or Lara's 153 because the cause was so hopeless but it's still one of the very best of all time imo. Got a standing ovation from the opposition and the crowd at the end of it and even the comms realised they had seen something truly outrageous.

He scored 167/261 and the next highest score in the innings was 25 which is bordering on Bannerman ****. Wonder where it ranks compared to the other innings on the list in @Days of Grace rankings. Thankfully Rob has a 15 min highlight video of it. :wub: