• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA's top 20 batting performances in Australia since 2000

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who you got in the top 3?

Top 20 in 2020: Best Test batting in Australia since 2000

20) Ricky Ponting v South Africa, Sydney, 2006

19) Virender Sehwag v Australia, Melbourne, 2003

18) David Warner v New Zealand, Hobart, 2011

17) Virat Kohli v Australia, Adelaide, 2014

16) Alastair Cook v Australia, Brisbane, 2010

15) VVS Laxman v Australia, Sydney, 2000

14) Steve Smith v England, Perth, 2017

13) Hashim Amla v Australia, Perth, 2012

12) Cheteshwar Pujara v Australia, Adelaide, 2018

11) AB de Villiers v Australia, Perth, 2008

10) Kevin Pietersen v Australia, Adelaide, 2010

9) Michael Clarke v South Africa, Adelaide, 2012

8) Steve Smith v England, Brisbane, 2017

7) Kumar Sangakkara v Australia, Hobart, 2007

6) Sachin Tendulkar v Australia, Sydney, 2004

5) Brian Lara v Australia, Adelaide, 2005

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/5-t...ian-lara-west-indies-2005-adelaide/2020-06-06

Burgey

A number there I’m not especially sold on tbh, particularly any at Adelaide pre D/N tests. For example, as a pure batting effort, Warner’s ton in Hobart vs NZ ****s on Pietersen, Kohli or Clarke’s adelaide efforts. And that despite the circumstances of Clarke’s knock after Hughes’ death, which I imagine will feature as well

Last edited:

Burgey

Steve Waugh’s last ball ton will feature I imagine. Pure box office.

Ponting’s double ton in Melbourne 2004 vs India was a crucial knock in that series so might get a run. So will Warner’s 300.

Spikey

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/4-t...ny-south-africa-mcg-melbourne-2008/2020-06-07

I figured JPD was locked in for top 3

Steve Waugh's ton was named the number 1 moment of the 2000's in CA previous countdown, and it's unclear if entries can repeat. Waugh, Clarke's ton after Hughes' death and the 3 triples are in that list: https://www.cricket.com.au/news/1-t...l-four-scg-australia-england-ashes/2020-05-06

Of those I think Clarke's triple is the only one that might appear if they can repeat.

I think Ponting's MCG double will be there, but the other two spots have got me. maybe one of Vaughan's tons in 2002/03, maybe Collingwood's double. It's another Adelaide one, but maybe Gayle's 165*

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
no love for du plessis at adelaide 2012? if you are going top performances surely that's got to be up there

Daemon

Can someone give more context to Waugh's last ball ton? Why is it so highly rated?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid in Adelaide 2003 can't possibly miss out entirely.

Edit: HB and I posted at the same time it seems

TheJediBrah

no love for du plessis at adelaide 2012? if you are going top performances surely that's got to be up there
Yeah great innings. Not only did it save that match but went a long way to winning SA the next game when Aus had to replace their whole attack. Series winning knock for sure.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
What about Dravid's 233 in Adelaide 2003? Sachin's double is ranked way too high imo, overrated innings.

TheJediBrah

What about Dravid's 233 in Adelaide 2003? Sachin's double is ranked way too high imo, overrated innings.
Nah, that was a typical Adelaide Day 2 and 3 road IIRC. No Warne or McGrath in the team either. Plenty of better knocks.

Burgey

Agree with the latter, not the former though, basically because Adelaide.

Definitely set up a very very unlikely win for India though. Tendulkar's SCG knock was one of the most boring innings I've had the displeasure to sit through.

Burgey

Can someone give more context to Waugh's last ball ton? Why is it so highly rated?
Word around the camp fire was he was basically up for the chop if he didn't make runs that test. The theatre was unreal too. Packed house, last ball. Was a magical moment.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Always thought the Pietersen 227 and Sangakkara 192 were overrated innings?

Duminy 166 should be there somewhere imo.

Last edited:

Daemon

Word around the camp fire was he was basically up for the chop if he didn't make runs that test. The theatre was unreal too. Packed house, last ball. Was a magical moment.
So it was the immense pressure and the huge number of fans that made it great I guess.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because it extended Waugh's career another season against all odds

Nothing about was important when it comes to wining the ashes or anything

But as Burgey said it was still box office

Spikey

I would argue the narrative around it (being dropped, the chase to 10,000 runs, etc) has meant the innings itself is underrated. he smashed them all around the park, it was probably his fastest test hundred.

with that said, Gilchrist had an even better innings and Vaughan hit 183 in the next innings to win england the game, so it was probably the 3rd best innings of the match, but still very high quality.

im thinking the formula being used favours a more epic innings like Vaughan's one

Last edited: