• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains in first tests

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Who all have captained in their first tests ?

Also, can any one explain how Graeme Smith , Lee Germon etc manage to captain their first tests?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith wasn't the captain in his first Test. He did become one when he was really young though. The only real answer I can think of is that Gibbs was probably viewed as non-viable because of his role in the match-fixing scandal, Kirsten was about to retire and they probably didn't want to burden Boucher, so there weren't a lot of viable captaincy options for South Africa after Pollock was sacked.

For Germon, CricInfo says:

"After the controversy during the tour of RSA in 1994-5 and the poor form during the home centenary season immediately following that, the administration of the New Zealand game at the top level fell apart. Part of the shake-up involved appointing a new coach (Glenn Turner) and this, in turn, led to a change of New Zealand captain. Turner wanted someone with proven leadership skills, who had the respect of the players, and who could maintain discipline both on and off the field by his own example. He had no hesitation in going for Lee Germon, a player with no previous Test experience, but who had been on the tour of South Africa and had proven leadership skills at provincial level"

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was only 21 or 22 at the time as well.

Loved Graeme Smith, the batsman. As a kid I watched that series in England where he made 277 and 254 in back to back (or close enough) Tests. Good memories of staying up late watching Foxtel instead of sleeping for school.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock then Boucher was captain initially after the Cronje debacle when Smith started his test career, think Kirsten was VC. But Smith had been an early pick as a future captain, having captained quite a bit at previous levels. CSA then wanted a clean break of leadership from Cronje so went for the Smith as captain after Pollock lost captaincy following WC debacle. I think injury to Pollock played a role as well.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
There was also of course that farce where Lee Germon captained NZ in his first Test. Saw the arse end of Greatbatch/Jones/Rutherford/Crowe (although Crowe would have retired anyway).

Terry Duffin springs to mind.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
First father and son to captain England, wiki tells me. Also,

Mann captained England in each of his seven Test matches, winning two, and drawing the other five; his father had also been captain in every Test he played in.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact they had a family brewing business doubtless helped their popularity amongst their teammates

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In Compton's book he says that George Mann was very popular because in that era there were a lot of social events that they had to attend, and Mann regarded it as his duty to attend the dull ones, while letting other players go to the enjoyable ones.

Apart from in each country's first ever Test (except Pakistan, who were captained by Abdul Hafeez Kardar who'd already played for India), Cricinfo lists 23 debutant captains: 12 for England (mostly in early tours to various countries), 7 for South Africa, Betancourt and Grant for West Indies in the 1929-30 England tour when they had a different captain for each Test, Vizianagram for India's 1936 tour of England, and Lee Germon.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I wondered about Floyd Reifer in that depleted WI team in 2009. But he'd played a few tests a decade earlier.
I remember when Floyd Reifer played his first few Tests in the late 1990s, Geoff Boycott was commentating and he said something like (I'm paraphrasing here):

"Jeez.... The West Indies have let some shocking players into their side recently. Reifer keeps coming forward to short balls. He hasn't even mastered basic batting fundamentals that you learn at school. My mum could bat better than this guy."

Last edited: