• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can someone tell me about Grade cricket?

chris.hinton

International Captain
what competitions are there in Grade cricket?

Also how does the teams work?

Is there promotion and relegation

thanks

hourn

U19 Cricketer
allright, basically its the precursor to state cricket.

In Sydney there are 5 grades and 20 clubs. I play in 4th Grade for Eastern Suburbs which is a pretty good level for an 18 year old, although there are about 7 or 8 guys i played against in junior cricket who are playing 1st Grade and one who's even got a rookei NSW contract now (Aaron Bird).

THere is no promotion and relegation for teams, just simply players move up and down the grades as the clubs see fit, and the NSW team is basically picked from the outstanding performers in 1st Grade cricket.

1st Grade cricket (at least in Sydney) is an extremely high standard, and i would even say its probably the same level as County Cricket although it would never be considered that way.

I'm not sure about the strength in other competitions, but they all work the same way, with varying amount of grades and clubs. I know the Adelaide and Perth comps don't have many clubs and the Adelaide comp has 4 grades.

Grade Cricket is basically were you play if you want to take your cricket very seriously. You'll find some very talented cricketers in there. For instance in the fourth grade team i play in there is one guy who was an Australian Under 17 player (Steve Warner) about 6 years ago, but gave up on his cricket abit unfortunately.

[Edited on 26/11/2002 by hourn]

chris.hinton

International Captain
Thanks a lot but one More Question

Is 5th grade Competitive?, What are the ages of People in each grade on Average do you have a Situation where Old People are Stopping Younger players?

Thanks for you time

hourn

U19 Cricketer
yea there is country cricket but its not as strong as grade cricket and the players there won't really get recognized and for that reason they come down to Sydney if they want to try and do something with their cricket.

But you'll find a heap of VERY talented players in country cricket who don't have the money and dont want to risk coming down to Sydney.

Nick Berry was the country cricketer of the year last season and came down to play 1st Grade cricket with us and he is easily the best batsmen i've ever bowled too. Got plenty of runs early on, but its dried up a bit now, but still looks the goods. He's been picked for NSW 2nd XI and the NSW Colts (u/23's) team.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Thanks a lot but one More Question

Is 5th grade Competitive?, What are the ages of People in each grade on Average do you have a Situation where Old People are Stopping Younger players?

Becasue you get that at Club cricket

hourn

U19 Cricketer
5th Grade is an extremely high standard. thats one thing that really gets up me when i tell people i played a bit of 5th grade and they dont say it but you can tell they're thinking 'thats nothing much' because they dont understand that it is a very good level of cricket.

Usually you'll find in 4th and 5th Grade it is mainly younger blokes (under 23) with a few 28/29+ guys who have played 1st/2nd grade who are there for guidance.

Outside of the top 3 grades, there is very little in the 23-27 age group, because people just dont see the point if they are that age, they're not going to be able to make in cricket now because they're getting on and not going anywhere, so they go play in the park and let another young guy have his crack at grade cricket.

chris.hinton

International Captain
so you get a lot of 30+ in 4th and 5th grades, this does not happen in england they are a lot of egos in english club cricket

hourn

U19 Cricketer
not a lot, but you will usually find 2 or 3 in each team and even the occasional guy who is 40+ and some look about 50.

These guys have usually played 1st Grade or 2nd Grade for a pretty long period of time so they know what they're going on about and they just guide the younger guys such as me through.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I have no idea because i've never seen English Club Cricket, but judging on the current strenghts of Australian Cricket and English Cricket, as well as the fact that county players come and play in this competition and don't stand out like dogs ball i would say Sydney First Grade Cricket is the same standard as the County Cricket comp in England.

chris.hinton

International Captain
ok, i think the same judging on your facts and the systems E.T.C

Who are the english playing in the sydney grade competition at the moment?

Do you think you will play for N.S.W

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Originally posted by chris.hinton
ok, i think the same judging on your facts and the systems E.T.C

Who are the english playing in the sydney grade competition at the moment?
Those that i know, Jeff Cook is playing 1st Grade with us. He had a slow start to the season but score 49 and 119 in the most recent games.

New Zealand players Scott Styris (Gordon), Darryl TUffey (Sutherland) and James Marshall (Easts - my club) also played but have gone back now because the Kiwi season has started.

I have no idea what other overseas players are playing this season though. I'll give my uncle a ring tomorrow and ask him - he should know. he seems to know every player in SYdney Grade Cricket.

As for past years:

Chris Adams Played for University of NSW in 2000/01 and did pretty well in the first half of the season - was leading the runscoring at one stage then fell off and finished up with 600/700 runs at 35 or so.

Ian Salisbury used to play a while ago for Sydney University and was the player of the season in 2000/01 for the competition. He's one of the only county players whose really shone recently in grade cricket.

Originally posted by chris.hinton
Do you think you will play for N.S.W
its a pipe dream that everyone thinks of - Odds are i won't get close to it, but you never know. There are plenty more talented guys around then me. My uncle played for NSW for about 10 seasons on and off - regularly for about 4 or 5 during the mid seventies. his cricinfo profile is at http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/H/HOURN_DW_02005929/

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Also forgot last season keeper Jamie Pipe played for Manly. He had a top season, took plenty of dismissals and was scoring a fair few runs.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Pipe play for Worcestershire which is my team, you Uncle was a leg spinner, did he get anywhere near the Australia Squad

hourn

U19 Cricketer
yer, he actually did go very close in 1979/80 but he did he's knees in.

he led the wickettakers for the Sheffield Shield competition in 1977/78 with 48 wickets - http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...OCAL/SS/STATS//SS_1977-78_BOWL_MOST_WKTS.html and then followed up with 40 wickets the next season - http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...OCAL/SS/STATS//SS_1978-79_BOWL_MOST_WKTS.html

we have news articles filed away at home saying how it would be a injustice if he didn't tour india at the start 1979/80 after his past two seasons.

He had a shocking touch footy injury which he broke his leg and now theyre pretty much screwed and that cost him his chance to tour India and finished him off as a FC cricketer really. The next season he took 16 wickets at 37 from 5 games and only played another half a dozen FC games after that season which is a real shame.

From everyone i've spoken to, they've said he was a great bowler and one of the best they've seen to not play for Australia.

I always look up to him because I know that there is truth behind what people say.

chris.hinton

International Captain
That a real Shame that he was just close to playing for Australia, was he a Flighter or a Flat bowler if you know what i mean?

hourn

U19 Cricketer
He was a big turner of the ball i'm told, but i've only seen him bowl once in the mid 90's when he was about 45.

I was 11 or 12, and we went to watch him play a game in 5th Grade. Knees were totally gone, fielded in slips because he couldn't run. Came on to bowl, hobbling to the bowling mark. Batsmen must've been thinking "who on earth is this cripple, hows he going to bowl, he can't walk". Dave bowls off 2 steps. first ball hits the deck turns a mile and take leg stump. He ended up taking 4 or 5 wickets and he could barely even walk.

Thats one of my regrets in life - not being able to see him bowl more often.