• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Kumble overtake Warne as the second highest wicket taker in Tests?

Can Anil Kumble overtake Warne as the second Highest Test wicket taker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread is essentially a Tribute thread to Indian Captain Anil Kumble who has just passed 600 Test wickets without being heralded widely like the others before him...thats the nature of this great champion bowler...very successful while very unassuming and goes about his business quietly ...IMO he deserves all the success and is really arguably the best spinner in World Cricket at the moment....

My poll here is to see what everyone in CW think of his chances of topping Warnes wicket tally of 708 before he retires ...I think 2 more years of Test Cricket will get him there...thoughts...

sideshowtim

Banned
He's pretty old ATM. Nudging 38 isn't he? Reckon his last series will be the one against the Aussies at home. Don't think he can take as many wickets as he needs in that space of time.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
He's pretty old ATM. Nudging 38 isn't he? Reckon his last series will be the one against the Aussies at home. Don't think he can take as many wickets as he needs in that space of time.
When is that ?

The way he is bowling at the moment, age shouldn't limit him playing longer..

Eddie Hemmings played at 43 odd IIRC

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he's giving it up for a couple of years yet, especially since he just became captain. Anyone know our itinerary for the next couple of years?

It all depends on who we play and where.

Much love to Anil though. Absolute deadset legend wherever he does finish up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble has only just turned 37. This is very much a question which occurred to me, too. I honestly don't know. I'd like to think he can keep bowling and bowling well - he's had no injuries to speak of, pretty much all his career, and he's definately bowling as well now as he ever has been.

I'd really like to think he could. First thing, though, is whether he wants to. I hope he'll go on playing for as long as he's bowling well (and, of course, he's currently captaining well too).

Either way - a superb bowler.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Took less tests to get 500 and 600 wickets compared to Warne. Has been a bigger part of his bowling attack than Warne but still, fair effort.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Warne's got 700 and change, right? Yeah, I think he can do it, sure. Still looks very fit.

On Kumble's age, I've thought for sometime now that he looks to be aging backwards. I remember what he looked like in the early days with longer hair, the glasses and the mo, he's like a man ten years younger now.

masterblaster

International Captain
Must say before anything else, hats off to Anil Kumble. I would rank him higher than Sachin Tendulkar or Rahul Dravid in terms of match winners. He has been the biggest matchwinner for India over the last 15 years and I will gladly argue anybody who says otherwise. Doesn't have the superstar status the others have, but he is an absolute legend and I would rate him in the top 5 spinners ever to have played the game.

As far as his age goes, he's a quintessential spin bowler who is getting better and better with age and experience. It was a great move to give him the captaincy as it'll give him the motivation to play on for a couple of years at least. The way he's bowling now, I think he can play and still bowl well until he's 40.

Here's hoping he picks up 700.

sideshowtim

Banned
Warne's got 700 and change, right? Yeah, I think he can do it, sure. Still looks very fit.

On Kumble's age, I've thought for sometime now that he looks to be aging backwards. I remember what he looked like in the early days with longer hair, the glasses and the mo, he's like a man ten years younger now.
Yeah, certainly doesn't look 37. Warne aged horribly compared to Kumble.

haroon510

International 12th Man
well it depends how much longer he can play.. personally i want to see him playing for another two years.. but he has been bowling with the same shoulder for over 18 years now exculding his first class cricket..

Top performer..

wanted to throw this.. he averages about 28 or soo.. do u guys think for a spiner that is a decent average? for fast bowlers under 25 is pretty good..i see different story with spiner considering that Warne end up with average of almost 26 and sometimes he considered better than Murali despite Murali's Ave 21 or 22..

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Kumble should do his best for his team rather than chase after SW's record lest he suffer the ignominy of being labelled a record chaser and the possiblity of an undignified exit

a massive zebra

International Captain
well it depends how much longer he can play.. personally i want to see him playing for another two years.. but he has been bowling with the same shoulder for over 18 years now exculding his first class cricket..

Top performer..

wanted to throw this.. he averages about 28 or soo.. do u guys think for a spiner that is a decent average? for fast bowlers under 25 is pretty good..i see different story with spiner considering that Warne end up with average of almost 26 and sometimes he considered better than Murali despite Murali's Ave 21 or 22..
This thread may be of interest to you

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9988&highlight=spinner

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes IMO.

He's clearly proud to be the Indian captain, and he'll go till 2010 I reckon. That's long enough.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes IMO.

He's clearly proud to be the Indian captain, and he'll go till 2010 I reckon. That's long enough.
You think his shoulder will still be attached to his body at that point? He already lacks that zip that he had just two years ago, though he has obviously made up for that loss with more experience...but eventually it catches up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When though? He has an economical action, his fingers are far less important to him compared to other spin bowlers, and on top of that he's Anil Kumble... he can do anything.