• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can any one tell me what the hell Ponting is talking about ?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yeah.. so he was there a fortnight and knew nought about one of the bigger disasters to have stuck Mumbai till 26/11 happened... And of course, it is quite pertinent to moan about all these without even taking the pain to look up a couple of newspapers to understand the context... Surely, he is not surrounded by people as stupid as him and someone could have pointed out that sometimes it is ok to try and learn FACTS... 8-)
:laugh: You aint intended to done na??...I got give yall IND posters credit for keeping up this BS...

So ok lets presume he did read the newspaper & he & the AUS team where informed about this tropical disaster that was in Mumbai. Why should Ponting as a non Mumabi local have EXPECTED the Mumbai pitch to play badly?. The only thing AUS

The Bourda Oval in Guyana when the West Indies play home series have had MANY test interupted because of rain over the years given thats usually rainy season in Guyana. But they have never had such a horrible pitch as Mumbai 04.

As i said before if these was conditions problem it was up to your officials to make the judgement whether a change in venue was needed, since Mumbai does have two test venues. They didn't, the pitch played poorly for both sides - Ponting was in his RIGHTS TO COMPLAIN.

Looking forward to another idiotic rebuttal from you as usual :laugh:

That's the point. If Ponting isn't thinking of that then he should not worry about the death of test cricket in the subcontinent. Subcontinent has survived much worse. It was either lose or draw for us, we have come a long way from 70s-80s.

Ponting should learn the history of test cricket in subcontinent before making such a silly statement.
Ponting was just answering questions from the press (sounds like its a big shock to you) and whatever he said will all be forgotten by the time he pads up for the next net session. Why this seems to send people into a spin is not only comical but begs the question on why people hang on every word Ponting utters.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
India had a pissed off local association and the Indian batting order was out of form. Remember the Test Ganguly pulled out in protest on the morning of and Dravid had to lead?

Not using that as an excuse of course, India lost. But it wasn't for the reasons you state.
No the all the batsmen where where exposed technically by the AUS bowlers. The person who gets an excuse is Tendy since he had his tennis-elbow injury & probably shouldn't have played.

Yes i do remember that incident with the groundsmen B4 the 3rd test in Nagpur & gave AUS a greentop. But even if a traditional IND turner was prepared for that test then it wouldn't have altered the result of that series, since AUS where FAR better equipped to handle such conditions than IND.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh: You aint intended to done na??...I got give yall IND posters credit for keeping up this BS...

So ok lets presume he did read the newspaper & he & the AUS team where informed about this tropical disaster that was in Mumbai. Why should Ponting as a non Mumabi local have EXPECTED the Mumbai pitch to play badly?. The only thing AUS

The Bourda Oval in Guyana when the West Indies play home series have had MANY test interupted because of rain over the years given thats usually rainy season in Guyana. But they have never had such a horrible pitch as Mumbai 04.

As i said before if these was conditions problem it was up to your officials to make the judgement whether a change in venue was needed, since Mumbai does have two test venues. They didn't, the pitch played poorly for both sides - Ponting was in his RIGHTS TO COMPLAIN.

Looking forward to another idiotic rebuttal from you as usual :laugh:
I am sure you can recognize one when you see it, coz you seem to specialize in it.. :laugh:

Here are FACTS. Try to accept them for a change. Makes life a lot easier..

Fact 1: The heavy and UNSEASONAL rains in Mumbai left a real deluge. There was no way to get to work, forget about pitch preparation not so much earlier to the tests. People were dying out there...

Fact 2: Obviously the groundsmen did not get enough time to prepare as the above was the situation till like a few weeks to go for the match. AND it takes LOT MORE than just a few weeks to prepare a test track. People here in MAC start preparing WAAAAAY earlier and ensure the pitch is not played on for the Ranji games... Unless you KNOW groundsmen and pitch preparation plz spare us the idiotic drivel disguised as arguments on this matter...

Fact 3: With more rains on the first day, the pitch became damper than normal which meant the quickish finger spinners got a lot of purchase... It was not impossible to bat on, as Laxman and Sachin and to an extent Dravid and Kaif showed.. Juz that Aussies are super inept against turners on a low and slow track and they could not even crack 100+... The pitch NEVER was THAT bad that a team can get bowled out for less than 100 chasing 103 or so... They screwed up big time...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ponting was just answering questions from the press (sounds like its a big shock to you) and whatever he said will all be forgotten by the time he pads up for the next net session. Why this seems to send people into a spin is not only comical but begs the question on why people hang on every word Ponting utters.
coz most of the time it is whiny and stupid drivel, perhaps???????????

- Gilchrist was crap outside of his Mumbai hundred & remainded an average player of spin throughout his career.
Although he did manage the odd superb counter-attacking innings againts quality spin in turning conditions.
And yet just a few posts back, you were arguing that Ponting's hundred in Bangalore somehow proves that he has conquered India. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No the all the batsmen where where exposed technically by the AUS bowlers. The person who gets an excuse is Tendy since he had his tennis-elbow injury & probably shouldn't have played.

Yes i do remember that incident with the groundsmen B4 the 3rd test in Nagpur & gave AUS a greentop. But even if a traditional IND turner was prepared for that test then it wouldn't have altered the result of that series, since AUS where FAR better equipped to handle such conditions than IND.
yeah.. the same stuff that could not be exposed before or after that series.

Aussies sucked every other time they played India since, right? Coz they haven't been anywhere near as potent with bowling since then??????

Seriously, one would think you should be Ricky Ponting, coz you do a better job of coming up with excuses for every single one of their bad performances while saying they are INVINCIBLE every time they win..

Seriously, the opposition never matters, is it? If they win, it is because they played well and if they lose, it is because they didn't play well....... 8-)

coz most of the time it is whiny and stupid drivel, perhaps???????????

I dont think it matters what he says, there are some that will moan about what Ponting said regardless and if he said nothing then they would complain. I'm sure these same posters will be complaining about something Ponting says or does within the next couple of weeks. Its self feeding frenzy where posters get so uptight about Ponting it drives them to get more uptight about what Ponting says.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I am sure you can recognize one when you see it, coz you seem to specialize in it.. :laugh:

Here are FACTS. Try to accept them for a change. Makes life a lot easier..

Fact 1: The heavy and UNSEASONAL rains in Mumbai left a real deluge. There was no way to get to work, forget about pitch preparation not so much earlier to the tests. People were dying out there...

Fact 2: Obviously the groundsmen did not get enough time to prepare as the above was the situation till like a few weeks to go for the match. AND it takes LOT MORE than just a few weeks to prepare a test track. People here in MAC start preparing WAAAAAY earlier and ensure the pitch is not played on for the Ranji games... Unless you KNOW groundsmen and pitch preparation plz spare us the idiotic drivel disguised as arguments on this matter...
Listen clownford, NEVER have i argued as an expert of pitch preparation. As i keep asking you if all this was going on before the test, WHY DIDN'T THEY RESCHEDULE THE MATCH?. Mumbai has TWO test venues...

Thats your administrators fault. So again Ponting was right to complain & ask for the inquiry. If the ICC found the reasons for the pitch that badly for what you say here or anything else...the buck would have still stopped with the BCCI

Fact 3: With more rains on the first day, the pitch became damper than normal which meant the quickish finger spinners got a lot of purchase... It was not impossible to bat on, as Laxman and Sachin and to an extent Dravid and Kaif showed..
Errrrr the Laxman/Tendy counteraction was the ONLY time in that test when the batsmen look slightly dominant.

Kaif & Dravid like Martyn in AUS first innings where battling to survive they where never dominant againts the bowling.

Juz that Aussies are super inept against turners on a low and slow track and they could not even crack 100+...
8-)

Like if any batting team is good under such conditions. GTFOH....AUS had far more raging turners in SRI 2004 than what they encountered & dug themselves out of some MASSIVE holes to win. AUS batsmen by 2004 had conquered their achillies heel againts spin collectively thats why they won both in IND & SRI.

The pitch NEVER was THAT bad that a team can get bowled out for less than 100 chasing 103 or so... They screwed up big time...
No the pitch played horribly for both sides. The amount of seam movement that was present on day 1 & day 2 when IND batted was like it was eary season England, so your batsmen had issues too - it wasn't a one way street.

Plus AUS in the glory years had a proven habit of also losing dead rubber tests (WI 96/97, Ashes 97, SA 96/97, Ashes 98/99, WI 2003, SA 2002, Ashes 02/03). So give that AUS where dominating the tests up until that last innings collapse thanks to that pitch. I reckon if the series was still alive in Mumbai AUS mentally would have stepped up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well.. I have given him his due whenever I felt what he said was sensible and a good point.. In this instance, he seems to have reverted back to some of the whiny drivel and I am saying it, that is all.

well.. I have given him his due whenever I felt what he said was sensible and a good point.. In this instance, he seems to have reverted back to some of the whiny drivel and I am saying it, that is all.
No worries pal I'm sure you will have something to complain about regarding Ponting in the next couple of weeks (I'm trying to sound suprised that you will complain about Ponting in the future.).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Listen clownford, NEVER have i argued as an expert of pitch preparation. As i keep asking you if all this was going on before the test, WHY DIDN'T THEY RESCHEDULE THE MATCH?. Mumbai has TWO test venues...

Thats your administrators fault. So again Ponting was right to complain & ask for the inquiry. If the ICC found the reasons for the pitch that badly for what you say here or anything else...the buck would have still stopped with the BCCI

Errrrr the Laxman/Tendy counteraction was the ONLY time in that test when the batsmen look slightly dominant.

Kaif & Dravid like Martyn in AUS first innings where battling to survive they where never dominant againts the bowling.

8-)

Like if any batting team is good under such conditions. GTFOH....AUS had far more raging turners in SRI 2004 than what they encountered & dug themselves out of some MASSIVE holes to win. AUS batsmen by 2004 had conquered their achillies heel againts spin collectively thats why they won both in IND & SRI.

No the pitch played horribly for both sides. The amount of seam movement that was present on day 1 & day 2 when IND batted was like it was eary season England, so your batsmen had issues too - it wasn't a one way street.

Plus AUS in the glory years had a proven habit of also losing dead rubber tests (WI 96/97, Ashes 97, SA 96/97, Ashes 98/99, WI 2003, SA 2002, Ashes 02/03). So give that AUS where dominating the tests up until that last innings collapse thanks to that pitch. I reckon if the series was still alive in Mumbai AUS mentally would have stepped up.
The TWO venues in Mumbai are like minutes away from each other.. And of course, when I talk of the city being deluged, I actually mean that the city was being deluged.. And both the stadiums belong in the same damn city.. HOw will playing it anywhere else help?????

And for rescheduling the match, you can only do that when you think the pitch is dangerous to be played on ( and it wasn't) and you can never tell how the pitch is playing unless both innings have been completed.. Were they complaining when they went in with a winning situation at the end of day 2????????

And I don't see at what point of the Chennai test they were "dominating"? Unless you mean being in with a chance is what is called domination in your book....... 8-)

And NO, they didn't conquer anything and they always were fallible on a turner.. And I apologize for that post.. was a mistake. I meant to have typed low and fast turner but since we are used to using the words "low and slow" in combination, must have typed it out in my haste for lunch.. :p But yeah, they always were fallible on a track like that which was perfect for fastish spinners as the ball turning at really big angles at a quickish pace than normal is a real test for anyone... And no, I am not telling anyone would have scored 500 there but I think most of the subcontinent sides would have cracked 200 under similar circumstances there.. It is juz that they were inept against the turning ball on such a track, esp. because they made their adjustments to technique BASING that all tracks will be slow and low turners..

Witness Martyn taking off stump guard there.. The technique proved a big hindrance against a quickish big turning ball as he does not have the time to get outside the line and defend and to slow down the speed at which his hands go at the ball...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No worries pal I'm sure you will have something to complain about regarding Ponting in the next couple of weeks (I'm trying to sound suprised that you will complain about Ponting in the future.).
And I am sure you will be there to defend whatever drivel is thrown out of his mouth too, mate.. :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Mumbai is ONE city and IT RAINED there. Since it is ONE city BOTH the grounds can be expected to be WET. I CAN TYPE IN CAPS TOO!!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: This boy is a clown

yeah.. the same stuff that could not be exposed before or after that series.
What?.

Aussies sucked every other time they played India since, right?
What does any other Indian tour after that 2004 series have relevance to that 2004 series win?. AUS at their peak won in India. Thats all the mattered. FULL STOP.

Coz they haven't been anywhere near as potent with bowling since then??????
WELL DUHHHHH

Seriously, one would think you should be Ricky Ponting, coz you do a better job of coming up with excuses for every single one of their bad performances while saying they are INVINCIBLE every time they win..
Stick to ****ing point of the post eh fool?. Poster Silenstirker is the one making
excuses for India's defeat to AUS in 2004. I am the one correcting that foolish misconception...So rest ya big stupid self :laugh:

Plus where did my black ass say that AUS where INVINCIBLE EVERY TIME THEY WON??

Seriously, the opposition never matters, is it?

If they win, it is because they played well and if they lose, it is because they didn't play well....... 8-)
Are you trying to put words into my mouth sir??. When have i ever used such logic to describe performances of AUS series wins vs series defeats??.

Would you like me to go through every ****ing series that AUS have played since 1995 RIGHT NOWW & to prove why your idiotic logic is UTTER CRAPPPPP???

I am absolutely enjoying this debate...my best ever on CW :laugh:

Last edited: