• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brilliant, elegant & excellent batsmen

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Disgorge said:
Mark waugh and Michael Vaughn.
Vaughan's a good shout. I've had the privilege of watching him score a (very fast) hundred live, and it was compelling viewing. It was his second at Lord's against WI last year, for the record.

cricketboy29

International Regular
as long as its people who stir the blood,

Saurav Ganguly- No one has come down the pitch and smacked bowlers through midwicket, like that, The natwest trophy final was an absolute feast to watch.

Rahul Dravid- The cover drive, what maginificence, the front foot defence, lord have mercy. Pure Gold.

No one else really....oh wait, I forgot this little guy here

SRT- 'Nuff said

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
woah saurav and dravid getting way to much respect here. Dravid's only ***ually attractive off the front foot, if he gets you hormonally excited then you're blind. He's boring, doesn't hit enough runs etc.

Deja moo

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
woah saurav and dravid getting way to much respect here. Dravid's only ***ually attractive off the front foot, if he gets you hormonally excited then you're blind. He's boring, doesn't hit enough runs etc.
Saurav not attractive ? When did you start watching cricket ? 2003 ?

Eclipse

International Debutant
It may be me but as much as I love cricket all this talk of it being ***ualy attractive takes it a bit far :lol:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
The batsmen which make my blood stir are mostly from the 90s and current as I am not that old. Also I dont regret it as I did not have to live through the periods of World War 2 and the like.

Some batsmen who have stirred by blood:

B.C.Lara
S.R.Tendulkar
Inzamam - always amazes me how late he plays the ball
M.A.Azharuddin
A.C.Gilchrist
Yes, the same could be said of McGrath :D

Gower
M.Waugh
M.Crowe
G.Chappell
D.Martyn
...are a few that come to mind.

Also Roy Slaven...I've never been fortunate enough to see him in action, but apparently his grace and elegance whilst opening the batting for the Lithgow Lions had to be seen to be believed. Pioneer of the one-handed reverse sweep while standing on the other hand, legs crossed, and drinking a martini out of his custom made helmet/drinks holder - we may never see a player of his ilk again.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Clown, Tendulkar, Martyn, Younis Khan, Saaed Anwar, Inzamam, Lara, Ponting, Mohammad Yousuf - those are some batsmen I love/loved to watch for their stroke-making.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ClownSymonds said:
Clown, Tendulkar, Martyn, Younis Khan, Saaed Anwar, Inzamam, Lara, Ponting, Mohammad Yousuf - those are some batsmen I love/loved to watch for their stroke-making.
Good on you Clown.....I thought yours would solely be Australians

atlanta

Cricket Spectator
saeed anwar, dravid, and inzamam for me. I think salman butt has the potential to be one of these "elegant" batsmen for a long time if he keeps his head straight. By the way jamesicus, the way you are talking, it seems like you were personally at the ground when bradman was batting. That can't be right, I hope? How old are you.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
atlanta said:
By the way jamesicus, the way you are talking, it seems like you were personally at the ground when bradman was batting. That can't be right, I hope? How old are you.
It's Possible - His Birthday: August 28, 1929

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
atlanta said:
..... By the way jamesicus, the way you are talking, it seems like you were personally at the ground when bradman was batting. That can't be right, I hope? How old are you.
I am 76. Yes I saw Bradman bat in person in 1938 and 1948. I describe the occasions on my web pages -- link in my signature block.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wow, lucky you JamesP! That's obviously lived in your memory ever since! :)

Two batsman who come to my mind are Martin Crowe and Mark Waugh.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
In my time, I have enjoyed watching:

Ricky Ponting, VVS Laxman, Mark Waugh, David Gower, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar and Damien Martyn.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
1. Mark Waugh
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Brian Lara

In that order. Waugh the most elegant batsmen, IMO, over the last 20 years.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IN terms of elegance, I think Carl Hooper deserves a mention. And recently, no one has made batting look more beautiful than Vaughan, Martyn and Laxman have done on their respective good days.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For elegance and style, surely Mark Waugh and VVS Laxman are the best to watch, while Brian Lara is perhaps the most entertaining batsman all round in recent times.

For hitting ability, Gilchrist is easily the best I've ever seen, and possibly one of the best of all time, and Kluesener also rates a mention.

For determination in the face of adversity and the ability to play innings that, while not attractive, stick in the mind forever, Steve Waugh.