• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian McMillan vs Chris Cairns

Who was a better cricketer

• Big Mac

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Chris Cairns

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well it's an interesting argument.

Cairns was probably the better batsman and bowler.

But McMillan was probably not a filthy cheat. So yeah McMillan.
Cairns was definitely the much better bowler, while McMillan was the better batsman and was a gun fielder at slip. McMillan obviously debuted as a far older age due to apartheid, and had a shorter, less injury affected career. They also played different roles with Cairns being a new ball bowler and McMillan a change bowler. Cairns was the better cricketer.

McMillan vs De Grandhomme/Holder would be closer.

Flem274*

123/5
Closer than it's given credit for so far.

The alleged Mr X shades it for me, but McMillan was the better batsman overall. Cairns was just a stupid talent though. I watch highlights of his batting and wonder how he ever got out, and his bowling looks far more talented than our guys today.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I saw some of Brian McMillan bowling on youtube from the 1987 rebel series v Australia. And I reckon he would be viewed quite differently if he had debuted in tests earlier. Because he was quick.

Because I view him as a 'boring' allrounder. He bowled a heavy ball, but boring back-of-a-length. His batting - he was big and strong, but he batted conservatively.

But, that perfectly dovetailed to the role he was required to do. SA had a gun new-ball attach, so his back-of-a-length 4th seamer role was perfect. HIs batting role was less easy to say it dovetailed. But, I guess at the time SA was full of a top 6 or 7 averaging all late 30s (or just touching 40) at the time (even if some of them eventually exceeded that by career end; Kaliis, Cullinan, GIbbs, Kirsten), but at the time they were solid batting, not great. So he didn't have the freedom of batting behind a collection of 50-averaging middle order players.

I reckon McMillan would have been a great contender for being a totally different batter with a modern bat. If he had the confidence that his half-hits or threequarter-hits were going to be safe (because he had the strength) he might have been looser and an an exciting bat. Assuming the sheeple find batsmen mistiming shots for 6s exciting, which they appear to do.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I saw some of Brian McMillan bowling on youtube from the 1987 rebel series v Australia. And I reckon he would be viewed quite differently if he had debuted in tests earlier. Because he was quick.

Because I view him as a 'boring' allrounder. He bowled a heavy ball, but boring back-of-a-length. His batting - he was big and strong, but he batted conservatively.

But, that perfectly dovetailed to the role he was required to do. SA had a gun new-ball attach, so his back-of-a-length 4th seamer role was perfect. HIs batting role was less easy to say it dovetailed. But, I guess at the time SA was full of a top 6 or 7 averaging all late 30s (or just touching 40) at the time (even if some of them eventually exceeded that by career end; Kaliis, Cullinan, GIbbs, Kirsten), but at the time they were solid batting, not great. So he didn't have the freedom of batting behind a collection of 50-averaging middle order players.

I reckon McMillan would have been a great contender for being a totally different batter with a modern bat. If he had the confidence that his half-hits or threequarter-hits were going to be safe (because he had the strength) he might have been looser and an an exciting bat. Assuming the sheeple find batsmen mistiming shots for 6s exciting, which they appear to do.
Kallis and Gibbs didn't play that much with BMac, and they were pretty turd while he was playing. Think both of them averaged about 20 until he was basically out the picture.

Not that does anything other than support your overall point.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Closer than it's given credit for so far.

The alleged Mr X shades it for me, but McMillan was the better batsman overall. Cairns was just a stupid talent though. I watch highlights of his batting and wonder how he ever got out, and his bowling looks far more talented than our guys today.
Disagree. You’ve gotta remember McMillan was 28 when he made his test debut - I.e. he was a fully developed, experienced cricketer during his test career. Cairns from the same age averaged about 39 with the bat and took significantly more wickets in fewer games at 26 apiece. I agree Cairns underachieved with the bat even after he hit his stride. Had that Botham mentality where he just wanted to smack the bowlers regardless of where he was in his innings.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Disagree. You’ve gotta remember McMillan was 28 when he made his test debut - I.e. he was a fully developed, experienced cricketer during his test career. Cairns from the same age averaged about 39 with the bat and took significantly more wickets in fewer games at 26 apiece. I agree Cairns underachieved with the bat even after he hit his stride. Had that Botham mentality where he just wanted to smack the bowlers regardless of where he was in his innings.
I think this might be the perfect cricket shot - 2:21
Chris Cairns smacking Warne at the Basin