• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just sensational from Fury. IMO he's the best heavyweight in the world, I think he'd dominate Joshua if/when they fight.

Wilder just coasts on that right hand. Arguably lost every round to Ortiz last year (well except for the last one of course). It does make for thrilling watching, as you know his opponents are always one split second away from taking a nap. But I don't think you can stay a champ when you've literally got to knock your opponent out to win. In any case, he was done in this one after Fury put him down the first time, you could see it almost immediately that his balance was gone and he didn't have the strength to clinch with a man who weighs 40 pounds more than him.

I'm sure the rematch will go ahead. Wilder is a proud man. Don't see the outcome being much different

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What a fight by Fury. I'll be honest - I thought Wilder would win. That weight difference is massive - and the fact that Fury can maintain his skills at that weight is really something else.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only question was whether Fury would last 12 rounds as Wilder has been thoroughly outboxed for extended period by far lesser fighters throughout his career

Saw Fury interviewed at a small event after beating Wlad and he is highly intelligent & like a boxing version of Shane Warne when it comes to analysis

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I do have a lingering question about drug testing for this fight...noting that Fury hasn't fought in the UK since the positive nandrolone test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fury v Wilder 3 is on for July. Interesting - thought Wilder might've tried to buy some time and get a couple of rebuilding fights done first.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do have a lingering question about drug testing for this fight...noting that Fury hasn't fought in the UK since the positive nandrolone test.
Apparently he doesn't even have a BBBC licence at the moment.

Idle speculation on my part, but Fury has gained over a stone between their fights and most of it looked like muscle. Asks a very obvious question...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Kownacki gets KOed in 4 by Robert Helenius in a bit of an upset.

Anyone who's watched Kownacki fight before and knows a bit about boxing probably isn't surprised. Dude's whole game plan is just to walk in with no defense and apply pressure. Was always gonna be susceptible to a chin-check.

aussie tragic

International Captain
More alarmed about this from an interview with Holyfield

"In the previous two months, conversations ensued between both camps to stage a choreographed encounter, but nothing more meaningful ever materialized."

Tyson-Holyfield 3 was supposed to be a ripper as both have been back in training. To read it was going to be choreographed raises real doubt about the Tyson Jones fight?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I saw a recent interview with Roy Jones Jr and he still wants that Gold Medal that he was swindled out of in the 1988 Olympics. The three judges who voted against him were banned for life, so he sees that as the authorities recognising he should have been the Gold Medal winner. Medals are being awarded years later after drug tests are failed by modern testing, but I tend to think the moment is gone if you're not awarded it in the stadium/arena at the time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I saw a recent interview with Roy Jones Jr and he still wants that Gold Medal that he was swindled out of in the 1988 Olympics. The three judges who voted against him were banned for life, so he sees that as the authorities recognising he should have been the Gold Medal winner. Medals are being awarded years later after drug tests are failed by modern testing, but I tend to think the moment is gone if you're not awarded it in the stadium/arena at the time.

I'm inclined to agree, but the decision was the worst I've seen in boxing, amateur or pro, in 30-odd years of watching the sport.

Can see why it rankles.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

This was an interesting watch.

I'd kind felt Beterbiev was an unstoppable force at light heavyweight and still think he's probably the hardest/scariest fighter p4p in any combat sport. But I guess no one is invincible and the bully is still gonna be able to be hit if you can stand up to him.

Still think everyone at the division stays away from him for at least a few years. Maybe if Bivol is brave enough he could try to time the fight when he's on the downslide. Dunno, it's not a great style match up for him though.