• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Haye can actually fight (or "could" might be the operative word)

If he has anything left whatsoever, he'd box rings around Briggs
Exactly.

Briggs has nothing except power, he's extremely slow and was never a particularly good boxer.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
David Haye was a slugger who was extremely powerful at Cruiserweight but beatable by a good boxer. He hasn't changed.

Shannon Briggs when he's not suffering from asthma is an oldschool callback with a stiff jab, good lateral movement and the ability to get on the inside and bust someone up; he's also got an iron chin and would take the best shots Haye could throw.
I'll give you the iron chin.

Not sure about the rest though. I've never seen much from Briggs tbh. Great self-promoter though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Parker. Australasia's first legit world heavyweight champion since (arguably) Bob Fitzsimmons.

Meanwhile Joshua predictably destroys the likeable but limited Molina.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Watched the Parker fight with a group of friends. We all agreed that Ruiz definitely deserved to win (with our scores ranging from 8-3 to 7-5 in Ruiz's favour). It was a bit embarrassing that he walked away with the title really, and I can't see this fight doing a whole lot for his marketability. Parker looked limited. Tentative, defensively sloppy and borderline lazy at times.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Watched the Parker fight with a group of friends. We all agreed that Ruiz definitely deserved to win (with our scores ranging from 8-3 to 7-5 in Ruiz's favour). It was a bit embarrassing that he walked away with the title really, and I can't see this fight doing a whole lot for his marketability. Parker looked limited. Tentative, defensively sloppy and borderline lazy at times.
Kevin Barry has to go.

Very stupid strategy. Parker does not have a back foot game, has a short reach for a guy who's 6'4, and was fighting a guy who likes to come forward.

What Parker does have is power and speed. He should have been coming forward the whole fight, make Ruiz respect his power, and aim to stop him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A shameful, shameful day for boxing.

So Povetkin tests positive for anabolics the day of the fight. WBC withdraws sanctioning, Stiverne obviously pulls out.

And then the promoter gets Duhaupas, another top heavyweight to step in on 1 days notice, against a guy who's just tested positive for anabolics.

Predictably, Duhaupas got utterly KTFO. I actually wasn't sure if he was alive for a good 5 seconds after the knockout.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A shameful, shameful day for boxing.

So Povetkin tests positive for anabolics the day of the fight. WBC withdraws sanctioning, Stiverne obviously pulls out.

And then the promoter gets Duhaupas, another top heavyweight to step in on 1 days notice, against a guy who's just tested positive for anabolics.

Predictably, Duhaupas got utterly KTFO. I actually wasn't sure if he was alive for a good 5 seconds after the knockout.
2016 has been a very, very bad year for the sport

It probably wont happen but someone needs to drag the sport's administration into the 21st century

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
2016 has been a very, very bad year for the sport

It probably wont happen but someone needs to drag the sport's administration into the 21st century
I think the WBC is making a decent effort to act somewhat legitimately.

Serious questions about UKADA and the British boxing council. Remember how last year apparently both Furys tested positive for nandrolone? There was meant to be a hearing last month and yet we've heard nothing of it. Why all the secrecy? Why has it taken over a year to even have a hearing?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Beautiful knockout.

The elephant in the room? No drug testing agency contracted to this fight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bernard Hopkins :(
Yeah, sad ending for a true warrior (I mean to a silly degree, I remember debating whether he was taking on too much when he lost weight to fight De La Hoya, who he gave the best part of a decade too and he was barely 40 then) but Anno Domini gets us all in the end.

Also shows if a fighter sticks around for long enough we'll eventually grow to love them, because he was a properly nasty bastard in his younger days. If memory serves he ripped up a Puerto Rico flag when he fought Trinidad the first time and literally caused a riot.

One of the greats though. Ducked no-one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the WBC is making a decent effort to act somewhat legitimately.

Serious questions about UKADA and the British boxing council. Remember how last year apparently both Furys tested positive for nandrolone? There was meant to be a hearing last month and yet we've heard nothing of it. Why all the secrecy? Why has it taken over a year to even have a hearing?
Hasnt Tyson tested positive twice now?

Was the reason the Klit fight was eventually canned "allegedly."

The whole drip saga with Mayweather was also decidedly dodgy

listento_me

U19 Captain
Fair play to Parker. Australasia's first legit world heavyweight champion since (arguably) Bob Fitzsimmons.

Meanwhile Joshua predictably destroys the likeable but limited Molina.
Parker is from NZ...you know that country not too far from yours?

Hasnt Tyson tested positive twice now?

Was the reason the Klit fight was eventually canned "allegedly."

The whole drip saga with Mayweather was also decidedly dodgy
Yeah, the whole drug testing situation and who gets caught and who gets saved is very dodgy. The situation with May was terrible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As with all of LTM's posts, I don't think he could be more wrong if he tried, unless NZ has recently moved to the complete opposite side of the world?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So David Haye's a classy guy...

Somehow managing Bellew to look like the good guy.

Without wishing to be too sanctimonious it's all a bit unfortunate. The fight sells itself: chinny big puncher with questionable stamina versus a game brawler with a big heart.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So David Haye's a classy guy...

Somehow managing Bellew to look like the good guy.

Without wishing to be too sanctimonious it's all a bit unfortunate. The fight sells itself: chinny big puncher with questionable stamina versus a game brawler with a big heart.
There are actual boxing reasons to be sanctimonious, tbh. The fight annoys me for a number of reasons. Apart from the fact that it's a cruiserweight vs a heavyweight, Bellew is taking this fight so he doesn't have to fight the top guys in his division like Briedis and Usyk, and David Haye dropped a mandatory WBO shot to take this fight.

In some respects it's a similar tactic to Golovkin vs Brook or Khan vs Canelo...there's legit guys in Bellew's own weight class he should be fighting. Adding on to that is David Haye could have had a WBO world title shot vs Parker (ahead of Hughie Fury) but he relinquished that to take this fight. He clearly just wants to beat up a cruiserweight so he can hopefully get the money fight against Joshua.

I mean I'll still watch this fight but I'd much rather watch these two fight legitimate opponents in their own weight class.