• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling attacks of all teams..

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
If bowling alone could win the world cup ...which team would win it?

If batting alone would win the world cup which team would win it?

[Edited on 7/24/02 by sir middle stump]

Andre

International Regular
Pakistan, Australia and South Africa could all win the World Cup on bowling alone.

Andre

International Regular
Nah I don't think so. Hoggard is too erratic and Giles isnt a great bowler, more a container in the ODI's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa, Pakistan & Australia easily have the best bowling attacks followed by probably New Zealand on a lower scale.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nah I don't think so. Hoggard is too erratic and Giles isnt a great bowler, more a container in the ODI's.
Yeah, Hoggard is way too expensive in ODIs at the moment. Would say Aus and Pkn.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think Pakistan has the most devastating bowling attack especially in SA conditions. Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib, Razzaq(Azhar Mehmood), Shoaib Malik(Saqlain Mushtaq) is a potent attack which can threaten any of the current lineups.

Australia has the next best lineup with McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, Bichel and Lee in the front line and a host of useful bits and pieces players who can turn their arm over.

SA should be a good attack in their conditons with Pollock, Ntini, Telemachus, Kallis, Boje, Klusener, Hayward, Ngam....

The next best attack could be NZ with Bond, Cairns, Styris, Vettori, Harris and co.

England comes next with Gough, Caddick, Tudor, Flintoff, Cork and Giles.

The West Indians and Indians can be bunched together with Dillon, Collins, Cuffy, Nagamootoo... for the Windies and Khan, Nehra, Agarkar, Kumble, Harb... for the Indians.

SL has Murali and Vaas and some others like Fernando and Perera.

The other teams including Zimbabwe don't really have a bowling attack to speak of.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Before somebody points it out, let me say that I was looking at the attacks in the perspective of the world cup.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I would say Pak and Aus are the only teams that could win the world cup by bowling alone, if that was feasible at all.

lankadesilva

Cricket Spectator
Unfortunately its not gonna be decided just by the bowlers!!

At the moment, its hard to look beyond India as far as the fav's for the WC are concerned, Aus too have a good team, but India have an edge over them!

Eclipse

International Debutant
how in the world do india have an edge over australia may i ask?

we beat you in the one day series in india last year dident we and we have been beating you for the last 5 years or more.

our batting is better our bowling is way better stop getting carried away with your teams chances one series does not make a champion team.

lankadesilva

Cricket Spectator
Sorry sir, i'm am a Lankan not an Indian, so stop saying that u are better than us.I do agree that Aus are 10 times better than Lanka.

Aus did beat India a yr back, but things have changed since then.Even Eng matches India in zIndia but fared poorly against a new looking Indian team.I do believe that without W's Aus batting is weaker than India's batting.Though Aus have a better bowling line up, but with Warne over the hill(even in his prime Indian used to r@pe him) and Binga being hell expensive, all they have is McGrath and Jason.Rest are all mediocres!

[Edited on 7/23/02 by lankadesilva]

Eclipse

International Debutant
yeah BUT how does that give india an edge over Australia (mentaly)I mean we have been thrashing india for ages now certainly it would be the other way around?

I really want to see india get thrashed now witch is disapointing because they are one of my Favorite teams along with Aus and Zim.
I just want all these indian morons who think they have a great team to shut up!! wait untill after the WC then if you win you can boast about your side with some real reason.

I wonder where are the Kiwi fans, on sports.com there were many NZ fans that were of the opinion that Aus won't even qualify for the semis of the WC!
Though i never agreed with them, but i do agree with them on that point that NZ have the capability to outplay Aus!

Eclipse

International Debutant
that was so wierd nz consistently beating aus I think most of it can be credited to Flemmings captaincy his felds were brilliant especialy to Martyn.

I dont think nz can continue the run tho Australias calss will eventualy show through.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that was so wierd nz consistently beating aus I think most of it can be credited to Flemmings captaincy his felds were brilliant especialy to Martyn.
His fields were certainly innovative but I would've hated to be the fielder nominated to stop a Martyn square drive like Lou somehow managed to in Adelaide! Sheesh, that was travelling!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think NZ man for man is not a great side. Where AUS is. NZ seem to work really good as a team and I think the edge over the Aussies is in the Captain. fleming vs ponting. If these teams were to play tommorrow though I would say that Aus would win. There are to many class players that are in that team and a few missing from the NZ team.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree with Tamara that NZ is a good team... but not a great team of individuals.

However, I'd like to remind everyone that while N.Z. consistently beat the Aussies in the VB Series, South Africa were beating NZ most of the time... and the Aussies were beating SA most of the time!! (which probably explains why the points finished so tight).

But anyhoo... back to the topic...

Teams that could win on Bowling:

1. Pakistan (lethal combo of Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib)
2. Aussies (needs Lee to fire, though)
3. (Hmmmm....) South Africa on a good day...

On Batting:

1. Australia
2. Pakistan (but a very close second - bat all the way down to 9)
3. India (on paper, anyway)

Good question, btw, Sir Middle Stump.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Unfortunately its not gonna be decided just by the bowlers!!

At the moment, its hard to look beyond India as far as the fav's for the WC are concerned, Aus too have a good team, but India have an edge over them!
I will bet both my nuts that you are from my country :D

Now stop with some stupid comments.

First off: the dropping of the fossil brothers has actually benefitted aussie
2. Indian bowling is not a patch on the aussie
3.Yeah we got (arguably) the best batting line up in the world. But the diff is not much.
4. Our fielding is good now but will still be gobbled up by aussie ,SA and NZ.
5. We still have to go some distance in mental strength.
6. THe WC is played away from home on pacy pitches.( This is the point where u read and learn abt olden matches and indian cricket history..hehe)

Hope this helps.

lankadesilva

Cricket Spectator
I don't know from where u are Scorpio, but i'm from Lanka!

Well if u think that dropping Waugh's have benefitted Aus, then i will say u are dead wrong.Mark should have been axed but Steven should be in the side.JUst last month Ganguly said that Aus will be making a big mistake if they go in the cup without Steven!

I know that the WC is being played away from India, India happen to won a cup away from home before too!! Besides, home side is always doomed in the cup!

I do think that with Kaif/yuvraj/sehwag , India have players with strong charecter who can perform in pressure, these players have made all the difference in the Indian side. :)