• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowlers who looked innocuous, but were actually effective!

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Venkatesh "Locomotiv" Prasad - Classic Indian trundler bowling 120-125 kph. For some reason used to metamorphise into a beast vs Pakistan.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Along the same lines as Clint McKay, Lonwabo Tsotsobe. He just bowled left arm meds angling across the right hander. Occasionally he'd roll his fingers across one and bowl an off-cutter but it didn't seem particularly well-disguised, and even though commentators used to talk about his swing sometimes it was totally mythical.

His Test career played out more as less as you'd expect from that description, yet he took 94 ODI wickets @ 25.

Nuwan Kulasekara was I suppose somewhat along these lines in terms of inexplicably being ranked #1 in ODIs with the ball, but in his defence he bowled a good inswinger and was very accurate. To me McKay and Lopsy seemed to just happen to be bowling when wickets fell, rather than appearing to take them - weird stuff.
Tsotsobe was lucky that he was the third seamer when Steyn and Morkel were in their prime. The batsmen would play out those two safely and try to attack Tsotsobe, and all he had to do was bowl tight lines(and he did get a bit of extra bounce). Tsotsobe did have an easy job, but he did well.

On the other hand, I don't think McKay's case was the same. Yes he did bowl tight lines like Tsotsobe but his pace variation and subtle movement did make the batsmen play false shots every now and then. Trying to find an article where someone who has batted against him would describe what's his bowling like.

tony p

First Class Debutant
John Bracewell always looked innocuous to me, seemed to get Border out a lot if I'm not mistaken, seemed to anyway.
Paul Reiffel was another who looked unimpressive, but he took over 100 Test Wickets.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Nothing about Mohammad Abbas is liable to blow you away other than his record
Holy Moly, saw some of his videos, I am going to watch every game that he plays, this guy needs to be studied by any medium-pacer who isn't particularly talented with the ball. Interesting to see how he manages to pick wickets despite of so many limitations(no pace, not built like a fast bowler, average amount of swing/seam, etc.).

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Particularly as a legit 5th option in an ODI attack.

Welcome to the forum, friend.
Just out of curiosity, why is it that you have so much love for Andrew Symonds, yet have so much dislike for Matthew Hayden? IIRC in the past you have stated you dislike Haydos for being an arrogant dressing room bully. Yet Symonds seemed to be just as arrogant, an in-crowder & was even the one who invented the #hoggpile. If anything he seemed to be worse than Hayden personality-wise, yet he seems to get a free pass?

It's fine if you don't want to respond.

the big bambino

International Captain
He bowled without fear of being scored off. To dismiss the majority of 383 Test victims with such a sweeping statement is not only an insult to Botham but to the victims who fell prey to him.
I will concede that your statement might be applicable to the twilight of his career but not to the majority of his wickets.
Redsok does it better.