• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bob Willis passes away

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RIP Bob.

Very sad news, one of our finest and the bowler who bowled the most iconic spell in English test history.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Had to sit down & take 10 very quiet minutes when I heard this this afternoon! A great guy with a massive heart. Respected throughout the cricket world. Headingley 81 was incredible, & was fantastic for me at the time, as undergoing huge Aussie sledging & gave me ammunition. Coming back from two knee surgeries wasnt that easy back then. A true legend. RIP Bob, you will be missed greatly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Enormously sad news. RIP big fella. Was a terrific performer for England in his time. Gone too soon.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Shocking news to wake up to, absolute legend of English cricket. RIP big man.

Ftr, stick me in the camp of BW '81 > SB '15 for best English Ashes bowling.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh man this really sucks.

He was great. My favourite pundit by far. He was just so scathing.

Will really be missed. RIP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just didn't see this coming. I only became a full on cricket fan in my late teens so he's always been a part of my viewing and he was just great. Obviously have enjoyed the highlights of his 81 spell many times. Sad loss

the big bambino

International Captain
As big a shock as his spell in 81. Hard to believe someone you will always imagine in his youth and at the top of his mark has gone.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
From PP.

Willis was a superb fast bowler, by far the best English quick since John Snow in the early 1970’s.

He was tall, got bounce from a full length and bowled consistently in the low 140’s. He was similar to Pat Cummins, but with more lift and less swing.

He first really emerged in the late 1960’s, and on Ray Illingworth’s legendary Ashes tour of 1970-71. Imagine having Willis AND Snow in your attack.

He only lost his pace at the very end, and in 1984 an uncharacteristic sledge - slur really - made Viv Richards go beserk and end his career.

Willis had a unique way of carrying the ball behind him in his run-up. This was often parodied by part-time bowlers as matches petered out to a draw.

The last “bowler” I saw do this was Alastair Cook, but the most famous example - and tribute really - came at Port of Spain in 1982-83. A rain-affected Test against a india was about to be drawn, and after Tea the legendary West Indies quicks, and then Larry Gomes and Viv Richards, treated the crowd to impressions of the bowling of Bob Willis, Jeff Thomson and Max Walker. Kapil Dev took full advantage and scored a rapid century!

Willis was a superb Test fast bowler, and by then was the England captain. The Port of Spain impressions really showed how respected and famous he actually was.