• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest "draw" in cricket history?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Who can/could put the most number of a***s on seats? I think we rarely take this into consideration while rating the greatest cricketers. But it is a very important factor, the game wouldn't have survived and reached the level that it has without an audience. Who are the biggest draws of cricket?

Camo999

State 12th Man
Would've thought WG Grace by a fair way

C.L.R. James in Beyond a Boundary:
Bradman piled up centuries. W.G. built a social organisation. Despite the impression of continuity and expansion which the histories of cricket give, there is little evidence to show that it was widely played or that it was a common public entertainment before the decade in which W.G. first appeared.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Population-wise,obviously Tendulkar. What other nation other than Chinese can compete in terms of the popularity of their sport-stars?

In terms of bums on seats or emptying the bars purely on excitement, hard to go past Viv, Bradman, Botham & Gilchrist.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, people left the stadium when Tendulkar got out. There were fans that preferred him to the game itself. Granted they were idiots but it's really a no contest from whoever I've seen.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I think apart from individuals, its also the contests that people would love to see, Sachin vs Warnie is one such contest that can still get people excited. If they both are playing in opposite teams, there will be a lot of buzz around the match even if its a charity game.