• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bhajji 'slaps' Sreesanth, leaves him cryin

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Ask your mom, she knows.
The sad thing is, the monumental creativity and wit of "ask your mum" actually took you a WEEK to come up with.

By the way, I DID ask my mum, and her words were, "microscopic, mounted on your forehead, and usually ensconced in your own hand."

Never mind. Please, tell us again how big and strong and tough you are, inchy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The sad thing is, the monumental creativity and wit of "ask your mum" actually took you a WEEK to come up with.

By the way, I DID ask my mum, and her words were, "microscopic, mounted on your forehead, and usually ensconced in your own hand."

Never mind. Please, tell us again how big and strong and tough you are, inchy.
Ooh . I heard that!!

CDAK

U19 Debutant
All Sree wanted was a slap from somebody to behave well( or stop acting like a maniac; ) on fileds, but it costed Bhajji's career.
Those who called him clown here,may have to regret soon ....I hope because he is an exceptional bowler when he does just bowling andno other show stuff
Thanks Bhajji

shankar

International Debutant
I'm not sure a court judgement vindicates anything except the lawyer's ability to avoid anything of importance actually being brought up in court. It certainly isn't a 100% guarantee nothing offensive was said. It's a benefit of the doubt call.
Nah. Read the part from the judgement quoted in this post.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All Sree wanted was a slap from somebody to behave well( or stop acting like a maniac; ) on fileds, but it costed Bhajji's career.
Those who called him clown here,may have to regret soon ....I hope because he is an exceptional bowler when he does just bowling andno other show stuff
Thanks Bhajji
Costed Bhajji's career!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Unlike you I do have a life.:dry: I don't check the forum every single day.

tsk..tsk...........Looks like your Mom lied to you to keep your hopes up and prevent you from crying.:laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah. Read the part from the judgement quoted in this post.
Didn't the judge also say if he was aware of Bhaji's previous offences the outcome would have been different? I can't see how what's written there constitutes a 'no' in reply to my post.

shankar

International Debutant
Didn't the judge also say if he was aware of Bhaji's previous offences the outcome would have been different? I can't see how what's written there constitutes a 'no' in reply to my post.
Yes, he did. But that was in reference to the punishment under 2.8 (using general obscene, offensive or insulting language). If he had had the records of prior transgressions of Harbhajan, (which were under 2.8) he would have punished him more severely under 2.8. But he found him to be not guilty under 3.3. Prior transgressions under 2.8 would have had no effect on this (He was aware of the problems during the Indian tour bet. Harbhajan and Symonds over the alleged use of the word though).

Son Of Coco

Yes, he did. But that was in reference to the punishment under 2.8 (using general obscene, offensive or insulting language). If he had had the records of prior transgressions of Harbhajan, (which were under 2.8) he would have punished him more severely under 2.8. But he found him to be not guilty under 3.3. Prior transgressions under 2.8 would have had no effect on this (He was aware of the problems during the Indian tour bet. Harbhajan and Symonds over the alleged use of the word though).
It comes down to a lack of tangible evidence though doesn't it? It was basically one player's word against another. Harbhajan may have said what he was accused of, he may not. A decision had to be made based on what was available and there was enough doubt to suggest he didn't...it's not a definitive judgement though, it's simply what we have to go with based on the evidence. Only Harbhajan and Symonds know what actually happened and whether the judgement was fair or otherwise. That's the way it works. If Harby has killed Symonds and we had a body to work with as well as video evidence of the crime then there'd be some concrete judgements to pass down. :happy:

shankar

International Debutant
It comes down to a lack of tangible evidence though doesn't it? It was basically one player's word against another. Harbhajan may have said what he was accused of, he may not. A decision had to be made based on what was available and there was enough doubt to suggest he didn't...it's not a definitive judgement though, it's simply what we have to go with based on the evidence. Only Harbhajan and Symonds know what actually happened and whether the judgement was fair or otherwise. That's the way it works. If Harby has killed Symonds and we had a body to work with as well as video evidence of the crime then there'd be some concrete judgements to pass down. :happy:
That's why the judgement was interesting. It disregarded the fact that Symonds downgraded the charge and also the lack of evidence:

"However, given it is an objective interpretation that is not the end of the matter. I must consider if the "ordinary person" would have been offended in a 3.3 sense. That again requires a look at context. Mr Singh had innocently, and in the tradition, of the game acknowledged the quality of Mr Lee's bowling. That interchange had nothing to do with Mr Symonds but he determined to get involved and as a result was abusive towards Mr Singh. Mr Singh was, not surprisingly, abusive back. He accepts that his language was such as to be offensive under 2.8. But in my view even if he had used the words "alleged" an "ordinary person" standing in the shoes of Mr Symonds who had launched an unprovoked and unnecessary invective laden attack would not be offended or insulted or humiliated in terms of 3.3.

So on that alternative basis I would also have been satisfied that the requirements of 3.3 were not met. So as to summarise that ground. Firstly, Mr Symonds through counsel accepts he was not offended in a 3.3 sense. Secondly on an objective basis I do not consider the response transgressed against 3.3."

Son Of Coco

That's why the judgement was interesting. It disregarded the fact that Symonds downgraded the charge and also the lack of evidence:

"However, given it is an objective interpretation that is not the end of the matter. I must consider if the "ordinary person" would have been offended in a 3.3 sense. That again requires a look at context. Mr Singh had innocently, and in the tradition, of the game acknowledged the quality of Mr Lee's bowling. That interchange had nothing to do with Mr Symonds but he determined to get involved and as a result was abusive towards Mr Singh. Mr Singh was, not surprisingly, abusive back. He accepts that his language was such as to be offensive under 2.8. But in my view even if he had used the words "alleged" an "ordinary person" standing in the shoes of Mr Symonds who had launched an unprovoked and unnecessary invective laden attack would not be offended or insulted or humiliated in terms of 3.3.

So on that alternative basis I would also have been satisfied that the requirements of 3.3 were not met. So as to summarise that ground. Firstly, Mr Symonds through counsel accepts he was not offended in a 3.3 sense. Secondly on an objective basis I do not consider the response transgressed against 3.3."
:laugh:

These are quite funny to read actually. 'Such as to be'...'So as to summarise that ground'...it's like he's trying to fit in as many turns of phrase as possible into the one sentence.

shankar

International Debutant
:laugh:

These are quite funny to read actually. 'Such as to be'...'So as to summarise that ground'...it's like he's trying to fit in as many turns of phrase as possible into the one sentence.
Maybe if we wanted to be charitable to the media, we could put this down as the reason why they misrepresented the judgement.

duffer

A bit of an update. On the news they were saying that there is now footage which shows that after the slap, while Sreesanth was being consoled by teamamtes that Harbi went over to him again and this time they got into the wrestling match that was being reported.

Also there's footage and testimony now that Harbhajan was the one who was being obnoxious to Sree when the two were on the field, and the umpire who initally claimed Sree was sledging incessantly has now retracted that comment.

Bhajji has also written a letter to the BCCI begging for "one last chance." 8-)

Oh man, the report is due to be published next Monday or Tuesday, can't wait for this.