• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Wicket keeper ever

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay this is highly subjective. Who do you think is the best keeper based on what you have seen or heard? Statistics can help too but its far more subjective in the case of keepers.

I am awful at judging the great keepers though I can identify easily the really inadequate ones.

Still I would say Boucher has been the best I have seen. He is no where as good as Gilchrist Statistically. There are people who would swear by Healy. Others can o for an Engineer or Kirmani for Indians. English maybe Knott? Windies all know the answer I think.. very tough to decide though..
 
Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Jack Rusell knocks the socks off all those.. Particularly Boucher.. Rating a fairly good keeper so highly is one of the most ludicrous things I have heard...
 

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
Particularly Boucher.. Rating a fairly good keeper so highly is one of the most ludicrous things I have heard...
Read the statement before that which I wrote. I am not particularly good at rating who the best keepers are. I have liked Richardson too but Boucher has been the one whose keeping I have enjoyed. Not too good and judging the abolute best keepers though.

I do like Rasid Latif a lot too. The catch he took in 1996 in the quarter final was awesome. Also his stumpings are pretty fast..
 

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And I am sure a lot of people would rate Healy higher than Jack Russell. And you havent even seen Farokh Engineer. So how can you say Russell is better than him or say Knott?
 

Swervy

International Captain
The best I ever saw was Russell (saw Knotty and Taylor but tehy were probably past their best by then..)...Healy would be close though
 

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Okay this is highly subjective. Who do you think is the best keeper based on what you have seen or heard? Statistics can help too but its far more subjective in the case of keepers.

I am awful at judging the great keepers though I can identify easily the really inadequate ones.

Still I would say Boucher has been the best I have seen. He is no where as good as Gilchrist Statistically. There are people who would swear by Healy. Others can o for an Engineer or Kirmani for Indians. English maybe Knott? Windies all know the answer I think.. very tough to decide though..
You have seriously got to be having a laugh about Boucher.

I personally can't go past Knott
 

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In purely wicket-keeping terms the best I've seen is probably Jack Russell. Healy was first rate too, I imagine keeping to Warne must've be pretty damn hard at times.

In retrospect tho, I think the greatest service Heals did for world cricket (or the non-Australian part anyway) is keeping Gilly outta the test team for so long! The guy's a phenomenon! :D

If one takes prowess with the willow into account you have to go for Gilly.
 

Anil

International Coach
from what i've seen, heard and read and from a purely wicket-keeping standpoint - knott, taylor, russell, healy, marsh, kirmani, bari....
 

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Pratyush said:
I do like Rasid Latif a lot too. The catch he took in 1996 in the quarter final was awesome. Also his stumpings are pretty fast..
yeah great catch that he also hit two great straight sixes in that match under high pressure
 

shaka

International Regular
Dave Richardson and Ian Smith are my picks of times past. current I would have ito say it is Gilchrist.
 

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Okay this is highly subjective. Who do you think is the best keeper based on what you have seen or heard? Statistics can help too but its far more subjective in the case of keepers.
The best English keeper I've seen is Bob Taylor. Knott was preferred most of the time because he was a considerably better batsman, even though he was no slouch as a keeper himself. People with longer memories would probably cite Godfrey Evans as being better than both, although he too was picked for England because he could hold a bat the right way up, in preference to the keeper acknowledged by most other wicket-keepers as the Master, Keith Andrew.

If there's an Australian who could challenge Andrew, it would be Bert Oldfield. If there's anyone from anywhere else who could challenge either of them, I'd be very surprised.

Cheers,

Mike
 

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Would have to be Marsh, he drank 23 cans of beer on the flight from Australia to england.
And this is supposed to be somehow impressive? Boonie's record was 53.

Cheers,

Mike
 

cricket player

International Debutant
It has to be kaluwitharani(from sri lanka)He has recently retired due to the fact that he was in a bad form.His stumping his quickness certinly make's him the world's best Wicket keeper.
 

Top