• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Tour Diary?

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Can anyone let me know the best tour diary from a player/coach/manger/journalist from the pre 2000 era. I'm looking for anything else beside Steve Waugh diaries.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geoff Lawson did a 1989 Ashes Tour Diary. Was pretty dry but I can't recall there being too many of the around before Waugh's became omnipresent

Burgey

Steve Smith's upcoming Bangladesh Tour Diary doesn't look like much of a read either tbh.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Geoff Lawson did a 1989 Ashes Tour Diary. Was pretty dry but I can't recall there being too many of the around before Waugh's became omnipresent
Hmm...was thinking about Lawson's diary for quite some time. Not sure is it worth, but would love to read anything in depth on the famous '89 series.

_Ed_

This was from 2000, so slightly outside your timeframe, but nevertheless a world-class piece of literature.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks! Just the info I was looking for.

BTW, I guess Frances Edmonds also had a book on the '86 West Indian tour. How will u rate that book?
Tricky, because it's 30 years since I read it but it can't have been too bad because I did finish it

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I'm not sure but did Bob Willis ever came up with a tour diary? I remember in the 80's he and Gower as captains used to write a tour/diary report in Wisden Cricket Monthly.

Did David Frith published any?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure but did Bob Willis ever came up with a tour diary? I remember in the 80's he and Gower as captains used to write a tour/diary report in Wisden Cricket Monthly.

Did David Frith published any?
Willis wrote them on the 82/83 and 83/84 tours - ordinary

Frith just two on the 1977 and 2005 Ashes, oh and the 1894/95 series too, which is excellent even though I suspect he wasn't actually there :)

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
"Fox on the Run" by Graeme Fowler is 50% tour diary (England in India plus various one-day tournaments in 1984-5), 50% county season diary.