• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best test opener, Hayden or Trescothick?

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I'll agree with the rest. Hayden is far and away the best. Trescothick is on par with Langer. Kirsten is on the way down, still good but not as good as 5 years ago.

In response to an earlier argument regarding Hayden having confidence in thise that follow him and therefore can play his natural game. maybe this is something that Trescothick should do. Be confident in his team mates and also more confident in his own game to have a go.

The Aussies haven't seen the best of Trescothick yet. He had an ordinary season against them last time in England. He will need to do better.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to be Hayden, surely. He's metamorphosised from someone who was an exceptional front-foot player to a player who still has that and is one of the best cutters and pull-shotters in the game today.

Having said that, Trescothick has all the shots Hayden does and once he rectifies his angled bat outside off-stump, he'll be be on par with Hayden I think.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Peter Fulton is his name Rik & he has the same batting style as Mark Waugh. But I wouldn't class him as an opener, he usually bats 3, 4 or 5 for Canterbury.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
The reason why Australian openers and Australia in general are murdering is that, they have depth. If the openers fail then well, another player will step up.
That takes off so much pressure.