• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best test bowler who average >=30

thierry henry

International Coach
Vettori in that case
Really? I mostly remember him not being given much of a bowl when the conditions were unfavourable, and bowling marathon ineffective spells when they were favourable.

Honestly an even worse test bowler than the average suggests because he was a massive minnow basher. I believe approximately 94% of his test wickets were tailenders lbw to an arm ball.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When Vettori first came into the side wickets in NZ were generally quite low and slow and spin was a big part of Tests over there. When Aus toured in 2000 they even played 2 spinners. Probably became less so during his career though.
That was specifically at Eden Park, which used to have a reputation for offering a bit of turn (I think John Bracewell once took 6/sfa to win a test v Australia back in 1986) and was indeed probably the slowest deck in the world at the time. Most other decks in NZ during his career were still pretty heavily stacked in the favour of the quicks. But Vettori's a poor nomination for this thread. Just didn't turn the ball enough to be a threat, even when the pitch was wearing. That test match v Aus in 2000 was really the turning point in his career as it represented one of his last outtings as a real attacking spinner. I remember seeing some footage of it on youtube, and the difference between his action then and has action post about 2003 is really stunning.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
The answer to this is the one whose numbers do not accurately reflect his performance. I would vie for Abdul Qadir
An away average pushing 40 knocks a player out of contention for this one, even if there are other reasons to groove on him.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
If you're stuck on statistics, maniacal mathematical manipulation, quantitative analysis, numerical numbing number crunching, then yes.

Third Man

Cricket Spectator
Graeme Swann. I know Swann averaged just under 30 but everyone knows the weasel's impromptu retirement from Test cricket in the middle of an Ashes series was prompted by the fact his average was one battering away from going the wrong side of it. He's in the 30+ club by default if you ask me.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That was specifically at Eden Park, which used to have a reputation for offering a bit of turn (I think John Bracewell once took 6/sfa to win a test v Australia back in 1986) and was indeed probably the slowest deck in the world at the time. Most other decks in NZ during his career were still pretty heavily stacked in the favour of the quicks. But Vettori's a poor nomination for this thread. Just didn't turn the ball enough to be a threat, even when the pitch was wearing. That test match v Aus in 2000 was really the turning point in his career as it represented one of his last outtings as a real attacking spinner. I remember seeing some footage of it on youtube, and the difference between his action then and has action post about 2003 is really stunning.
Vettori never talked about it, in books/interviews whatever, but it was always insinuated that the broken back he suffered as a teenager was the reason he wasn't able to be the bowler he was around that 2000 time. The 2000 version if I remember it, had a lot more torque in his action and got a lot more side on with the ability to turn it whilst still bowling the slider etc. In the second half of his career he basically lost the ability to beat the bat (RHers), kept being outstanding in ODIs because of changes of pace and flight but didn't have enough tools to be a real issue in Tests against good sides.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer was a gun. To me he had all the makings of a quality bowler - decent pace, accurate, swing with the new ball/reverse with the older one. He had real presence too. Definitely one of my favourites