• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Batsman who started his career in the Mid 00s.

Who do you think it is?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't really rate Gambhir in the same category as Clarke/Pietersen/ABdeV. Nor does anyone else based on the poll.

Hussey - that entirely depends on what 'best' means. For two-three years he was as good as Ponting was at the time. And Ponting was better than anyone else I have ever seen, so that is extraordinary praise. But to call him the best with his OK-mediocre-holyhellthat'sdire run of form over the last two years is tough.

Pietersen - I have no idea what's happened to him. This should be his time to shine, and he doesn't look like shining. I think he can get back to his "glory" 05-06-07 form again, but I don't think he can reach the kind of phenomenal peak that everyone expected of him. He just has a mental thing, I have no idea why.

Clarke - probably the firmest candidate, for reasons that should be obvious to all. Mostly, however, because he has shown one shining quality above all the others and that is an ability to work feverishly on his own game.

ABdeV - the dark horse. For some reason I can help thinking that he's SA's Clarke and as such could have a stellar 6-7 years.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't really rate Gambhir in the same category as Clarke/Pietersen/ABdeV. Nor does anyone else based on the poll.
Not 100% true as we are allowed only 1 vote. I feel for Gambhir cause he's up against 4 middle order bats and is coming off a pair!

I love AB, but voted for Clarke.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not 100% true as we are allowed only 1 vote. I feel for Gambhir cause he's up against 4 middle order bats and is coming off a pair!

I love AB, but voted for Clarke.
Eh, you would've thought that someone would have voted for him based on how polls work out.

Not saying he's a bad player by any means, just that he's not quite in the same league as those three I've named (Hussey because of his age is different)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm well if they all retired right now I'd say Hussey. I'd take Clarke ahead of him for a Test starting tomorrow though and I'm confident it'll be Clarke who finishes his career in the highest esteem.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pietersen for me but he seems to have lost his focus and at present Clarke is a better player.KP is in danger of throwing away his career the way he is going as he hasn't made a ton for 18 months in any form of the game according to TMS yesterday which for such a good player is an abysmal record despite the months he missed injured.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke for mine, though tbf I haven't really seen all that much of Gambhir and ABDV. Pietersen and Hussey far too inconsistent of late though.

tooextracool

International Coach
They've all had poor years at some point or another. Clarke was dropped in 2006, ABD was pretty average until 2008, Pietersen has been average since 2008 and Hussey has been average since 2008. Gambhir I dont think is a realistic option because he wasnt a regular till the summer of 2008.

Out of all those names, perhaps Clarke has been the most consistent and he may very well end up being the best out of all of them but Hussey in 2005-06-07 was simply sensational and I think he is still a very good player.

Uppercut

I'd probably pick AB for a test tomorrow. His fielding inches him ahead of Clarke for mine. They've had remarkably similar records for the past few years. In hindsight Clarke may well be looked on as better because he started much more strongly, but AB's a bit younger so perhaps it'll depend what he does with the extra few years.

But yeah, if they all retired tomorrow it would have to be the Huss.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What do you want me to do, paint my vuvuzela in gold and green and blow it down your ear?

akilana

International 12th Man
What're some of Clarke's best innings? I don't recall many when he did well when the team needed him. Bit like Bell, tends to do well when things go his way.

vcs

What're some of Clarke's best innings? I don't recall many when he did well when the team needed him. Bit like Bell, tends to do well when things go his way.
Not at all, did very well in India on his debut when Australia needed him, played an important innings earlier this year against NZ when he was coming off a controversy, also made an important 90 odd in the 2nd innings in Lords in Ashes 2005 when Pietersen dropped him. Probably a few others as well.

Was excellent in Ashes 2009 as well, Australia's best batsman.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I hint a touch of troll in this post.

Clarke would have to be one of the better "pressure" batsman in the Australian lineup currently. Take a look back at some of his centuries over the years, very few come from the stage of 3/200.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not at all, did very well in India on his debut when Australia needed him, played an important innings earlier this year against NZ when he was coming off a controversy, also made an important 90 odd in the 2nd innings in Lords in Ashes 2005 when Pietersen dropped him. Probably a few others as well.

Was excellent in Ashes 2009 as well, Australia's best batsman.
One that really stands out for me is the 98 out of about 200 about two years ago. Ashes 09, obviously, also some innings against SA in the home series come to mind.

He's been our 'pressure batsman' ever since 2008.