• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Batsman who started his career in the Mid 00s.

Who do you think it is?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Now, I am pretty rigid about my judgement about the best Batsman to start his career in the early 90s(Tendulkar over Lara), The Mid 90s(Ponting over Dravid), The early 00s(Sehwag over Sanga), But this question does not have a definitive answer for me. I would love to know what people think.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
There's some pretty decent players there. It will be interesting in 5 or so years time which of those we're talking about in the Ponting/Tendulkar/Lara mode.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voted for Clarke. Have had a soft spot for him ever since he had that great debut in India in 2004 and played spin like an old pro.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke for me, has become a genuinely class batsman in the last few years.

Pietersen is still a fantastic player of course no matter what problems he is enduring at the moment.

Do not think any of them will come to be seen in the same way as Sachin/Lara or Ponting though

Dissector

International Debutant
Going with KP. Succeeding in 10 tests against a top-notch Australian attack gives him a lot of credit in my book though he has disappointed on a number of tough tours including Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa. Not much between him and Clarke.

akilana

International 12th Man
Out of those names, it's AB DE Villiers, for me.. has improved as a player. In form.. runs in India, Australia, SA, England, WI.. one of the best ODIs in last few years, can attack if quick runs needed etc.

Top_Cat

Would pick KP above all of them but it's close between he, Clarke and Hussey for mine.

Uppercut

Seriously difficult poll, considered all five options tbh.

I don't think De Villiers or Gambhir have really done enough yet, but I rate both very highly and expect at least one of them to be looked back on as genuinely top-class. KP seems to be going the wrong way at the moment and I'm reluctant to pick Hussey or Clarke because they've been formed the basis of a horrifically fragile Australian middle order over the past couple of years.

In the end I went for Hussey. Tough, tough poll though. It'll be interesting to see which candidates fall away and which pull ahead of the pack over the next few years.

Jezroy

State Captain
That's seriously tough.

Clarke - I think is actually on the improve and will keep building on this career, but in the main, has been in a good batting line up and team
Pietersen - Has been losing form a touch for a while, but when he came on the scene he was something very special.
Hussey - a phenomenal start, considering he has been moved up and down the order, but his numbers have come back to mere mortal numbers
Gambhir - Came in when India didn't have a settled opening combo. Gets to bat with Sehwag, so a lot of pressure is off him, and he is in a great batting line up.
De Villiers - Solid batsman in a good team for the last few years.

Hmmmm... I think Clarke will end up with the best numbers, so I'll vote for him. But chuck in another opener, and that's a seriously good top 6.