• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Allrounder

Who's the Best Test Allrounder

• Flintoff

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Kallis

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Gilchrist

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Pathan

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Vaas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vettori

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Sangakarra

• Pollock

• Dhoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Allrounder connotates the notion of being good in the basic aspects of cricket i.e batting, bowling and fielding. as such keepers can't be allrounders.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
roseboy64 said:
Allrounder connotates the notion of being good in the basic aspects of cricket i.e batting, bowling and fielding. as such keepers can't be allrounders.
IMO an allrounder is someone who warrants his spot, or contributes well, in more than one form of the game. Hence, a keeper/batsman is an allrounder.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
deeps said:
If it's last 2 years, think Afridi deserves at least a spot on that list.

Since 1/1/04 in 12 tests

batting avg: 43
bowling avg: 37.65
3 Centuries
4 half centuries
26 wickets

His bowling is a bit weak, but I think it's still worthy of consideration at least. I'd certainly rate him more of an all rounder than vaas, vetorri etc.
He's averaging about 24 overs a game in that time, that is just fill-in and makes him as equally a non-allrounder as Vaas or Vettori in my book.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Vaas is on the list, then where is Shane Warne?

I don't care if Gilly is an all-rounder or not, Freddie is the world's greatest all-rounder comfortably. I believe him to be the world's best Cricketer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
He's averaging about 24 overs a game in that time, that is just fill-in and makes him as equally a non-allrounder as Vaas or Vettori in my book.
12 overs an innings is still a fair bit more than you're average "part-timer". If you have a 5 man attack, on average one of the bowlers will only get through that many.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
12 overs an innings is still a fair bit more than you're average "part-timer". If you have a 5 man attack, on average one of the bowlers will only get through that many.
Simon Jones averages 13 overs an innings, and he's hardly a part-timer. Same with Razzaq, and he's considered a proper all-rounder. I'd say a part-timer would be someone like Jayasuriya, with 6 overs an innings on average.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Im probably biased, but I think Flintoffs the best. He hasnt been doing to well in his previous test matches, but Im sure he'll show some Bouncebackability in the ashes

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
Simon Jones averages 13 overs an innings, and he's hardly a part-timer.
No, he averages 26 overs a match - and that includes 2 matches (out of only 18) when he's had big injuries in that have severely restricted his bowling

aussie tragic

International Captain
GeraintIsMyHero said:
If Vaas is on the list, then where is Shane Warne?

What's wrong with Vaas?

Last 2 years: 12 tests, 475 runs @ 33.92 and 38 wkts @ 26.76

Warny averages 18 with the bat over the same period?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, he averages 26 overs a match - and that includes 2 matches (out of only 18) when he's had big injuries in that have severely restricted his bowling
26 overs a match = 13 overs an inning, No ?

Swervy

International Captain
Afridi actually bowls just over 10 and half overs an innings based on innings he coul drealistically have bowled in (ie the game has gone to a second innings or the opposition hasnt been chasing 30 runs to win)

Similar workings out for Jones (and ones where he has been injured havent been included) gives a figure of about 15 to 16 overs per innings

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
not if it doesnt go to a second innings!!!!
Only reason it would not go to second innings is if the bowler got injured or 2nd inning was washed off.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
Afridi actually bowls just over 10 and half overs an innings based on innings he coul drealistically have bowled in (ie the game has gone to a second innings or the opposition hasnt been chasing 30 runs to win)

Similar workings out for Jones (and ones where he has been injured havent been included) gives a figure of about 15 to 16 overs per innings

Affers bowls 11.4 overs per innings whereas SP Jones bowls 14.2, very close to 13 overs said by Dasa. Not much difference I would say.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Affers bowls 11.4 overs per innings whereas SP Jones bowls 14.2, very close to 13 overs said by Dasa. Not much difference I would say.
does that include the innings Jones couldnt bowl due to injury (I think one of the Ashes innings last summer and Brisbane a few years back)

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Only reason it would not go to second innings is if the bowler got injured or 2nd inning was washed off.
I meant a second bowling innings ie. if a team won by an innings etc