• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best player most people don't know about?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Title is pretty self explanatory really, who's the best cricketer you have ever seen or known that nobody ever truly remembers?

Anyone who has played more than a dozen international games (Test, ODI, T20I) is automatically excluded. Playing for your national team in non internationally recognised cricket however is fine. Isolation era South Africans are unavailable if they participated in any of the rebel tours, but available otherwise

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On this forum everyone knows everyone

In the real world Aubrey Faulkner is the ATG your casual fan is least likely to have ever heard of imo

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
On this forum everyone knows everyone

In the real world Aubrey Faulkner is the ATG your casual fan is least likely to have ever heard of imo
I was meaning more in terms of players who aren't truly known among the domestic cricket scene in their own country, but it's a fair point but for someone who had such a good career, Faulkner isn't really thought of much.

Part of that comes down to the era, but from personal experience he is a cricketer thoroughly worth reading about

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It took me a long, long time to hear of Phil Mead, which seems weird for a guy with a Test average of 47 and over 55,000 FC runs and who wasn't exactly coming from an era where his contemporaries were also unheard of.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It took me a long, long time to hear of Phil Mead, which seems weird for a guy with a Test average of 47 and over 55,000 FC runs and who wasn't exactly coming from an era where his contemporaries were also unheard of.
I dug through his record to see what was going on with a guy with 150 FC centuries and a test average of 49 playing only 17 tests in all. Looks like the war screwed him over. But even then Hendren and Hobbs played way more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Outside SA and even inside SA I find that Dudley Nourse is the least known SA great.
For years on CW I actually included him in my ATG XI. Even now I'd probably still put him in the Second XI. Hero.

Definitely played more than a dozen games though. :p

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayward looks like one of the first ATG test batsmen but is rarely mentioned as such

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Outside SA and even inside SA I find that Dudley Nourse is the least known SA great.
For years on CW I actually included him in my ATG XI. Even now I'd probably still put him in the Second XI. Hero.

Definitely played more than a dozen games though. :p
Came here to mention Nourse. IIRC he ranked in top 30 in DoG's (greatest, bestest and most authoritative) batsmen rankings.

@PEWS - you put Nourse in SA ATG XI or world ATG XI?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
world ATG XI?
World.

Not anymore, but I did for a time (or he just missed out for Hammond; it's hard to remember my old opinions sometimes, but he was definitely in the running and in the top 10 bats of all time).

He's still definitely in my Saffa one.

Last edited: