• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Pakistani seamer?

ganeshran

International Debutant
Who is the best seamer Pakistan has produced.

Sarfaraz Nawaz
Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Mohammed Asif

Or someone else..

Fusion

Global Moderator
In Tests, I'd go with:

Imran > Wasim > Waqar > Akhtar > Sarfaraz = Fazal.

Amir and Asif just weren't there long enough to figure in my rankings. On potential, I think either could've cracked the top 3 by the end of their careers.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's because of Fazal Mahmood that Pakistan produces fast bowlers. I was travelling with my mum on the train when I was 2 years old in Pakistan, and Fazal Mahmood happened to be sitting near us. My mum told me that he asked if he could pick me up and when he did I started calling him granddad. :)

Waqar>Imran>Wasim>Shoaib>Asif>Fazal

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's because of Fazal Mahmood that Pakistan produces fast bowlers. I was travelling with my mum on the train when I was 2 years old in Pakistan, and Fazal Mahmood happened to be sitting near us. My mum told me that he asked if he could pick me up and when he did I started calling him granddad. :)

Waqar>Imran>Wasim>Shoaib>Asif>Fazal
Haha, great story. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Waqar for me; could make the ball talk. His toe-crushing, late-inswinging yorker was a thing of deadly beauty.

His career stats, great as they are, don't do justice to the genius he was before injury curtailed his youthful pomp. I never like to mark down a chap because he had the ticker to come back for the good of his side, even if he wasn't quite the player he was.

Shoaib needs to be mentioned too; falls just short of greatness, but for sheer pace and excitement he was thrilling to behold.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm with Fusion on this one - Fazal carried the whole team, not just the bowling - I think I'm right in saying that after he retired they went about 15 years without winning a Test against anyone other than New Zealand, and that after he'd beaten England, India, Australia and WIndies in the 50's pretty much singlehanded

Beleg

International Regular
wasim's probably the best of the lot, followed closely by waqar and imran. fazal mahmood, shoaib akhtar and asif were all pretty darned good. amir and mohammad zahid were more of the what-could-have-beens.

Bouncer

State Regular
There are two ways to look at the OP.

Seamer != tearaway fast bowler meaning its not necessary that a seamer as a tearaway lead fast bowler. When hear the word seamer, I dont think of Imran Khan, Jeff Thompson, Marshall, Holding, Waqar, Akhter....So by answering this question considering this angle

Asif to me is the best seamer produced by Pakistan...I mean the guy had absolute devilish guile and skills with a cricket ball in his hand (Ironically it turned out that he had devilish guile, and skills even without cricket ball in his hands).

Hands down the best seamer (by the classic definition of seam bowling) of Pakistan and (had he not had all the controversies in his career) by end of his career, could have gotten to be known as the greatest seamer of all time.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Has to be Imran then Waqar then Wasim and Fazal. Imran carried the team in early 80's, Waquar at his peak is among the greatest of all time and for me the one I feared most as fan playing againts them. Wasim was great but greatly over rated IMHO Fazal was the one who started it all.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm with Fusion on this one - Fazal carried the whole team, not just the bowling - I think I'm right in saying that after he retired they went about 15 years without winning a Test against anyone other than New Zealand, and that after he'd beaten England, India, Australia and WIndies in the 50's pretty much singlehanded
I'm always glad when you agree with me Fred, but I'm afraid you've misinterpreted me here. :) I was merely explaining to ganeshran who Fazal is, not proclaiming him the best from Pakistan.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm always glad when you agree with me Fred, but I'm afraid you've misinterpreted me here. :) I was merely explaining to ganeshran who Fazal is, not proclaiming him the best from Pakistan.
Yup I missed your first post - still rate him higher than the others though - wafer thin margin between him and Waqar at his best but the others I put on a slightly lower level

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If he isn't the best bowler of those mentioned so far, Fazal has a good case to be the best looking: :wub:

Er, no homo, etc...

Fusion

Global Moderator
You know what? I'm secure enough in my ***uality to post the following. IMO, the best looking Pakistani cricketers ever:

1. Imran Khan

2. Fazal Mahmood

3. Majid Khan

4. Shahid Afridi