• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best number 3 of all time?

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it's more a case of he was never mentioned in the same terms as May and Compton - I bet if we had an "England players draft" Barrington would get picked before them.

Besides the issue of stylish batting, you can see why the older England fans in the 1980s (with a bias towards remembering Ashes Tests) would have happier memories of May and Compton, who played in the Ashes wins in 1953, 54/5, 56, than of Barrington, who played in the 5 series in the 60s, none of which England won. Although Barrington was clearly England's top batsman in those series, and has a far better average against Australia than May or Compton, you couldn't say "remember that great innings by Ken which won/retained us the Ashes?" He didn't even play a notable innings in any of the Tests which England won.
Richie Benaud called May not merely the greatest English batsman to emerge since the war but the only great one

Barrington, like Boycott was a defensive batsman who was more likely to save a Test match than win one.

May and Compton on-the-other-hand looked to dominate the bowling and take charge of the Test match; and that‘s why the likes of Richie Benaud rate them so highly.

Personally, I play Peter May at number 4 in my England ATG team and let Barrington, Cowdrey and Root ‘fight’ for the number 5 spot.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Number 3s should be counter-attacking batsman who can reclaim the momentum after the fall of early of a wicket, or take the game away from the opposition if the openers do well.

I don’t think that Barrington fitted this role very well, and so was better used as a middle order anchor. Walter Hammond was a “forcing batsman“ (as they used to call them in the 1930s) who could throttle the bowling when in good form, which was most of the time. And so I think that Hammond is probably England’s greatest number 3. Garry Sobers and Geoff Boycott admired Ted Dexter‘s attacking skills (averaged about 50 at first drop), but unfortunately he was quite inconsistent.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
A good number three should be able to make runs at four, five and six, so that they can bat there and never be found out at three.

Should have hidden lower down the order yes

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Number 3s should be counter-attacking batsman who can reclaim the momentum after the fall of early of a wicket, or take the game away from the opposition if the openers do well.

I don’t think that Barrington fitted this role very well, and so was better used as a middle order anchor. Walter Hammond was a “forcing batsman“ (as they used to call them in the 1930s) who could throttle the bowling when in good form, which was most of the time. And so I think that Hammond is probably England’s greatest number 3. Garry Sobers and Geoff Boycott admired Ted Dexter‘s attacking skills (averaged about 50 at first drop), but unfortunately he was quite inconsistent.
Yeah Hammond’s 45 SR is much more forceful and attacking than Barringtons 41.

Number threes should be good at making runs at number three.
By god he’s done it.

slowfinger

International Debutant

Number threes should be good at making runs at number three. Imposing your personal #intent preferences on them is counterproductive.
I think the two quotes aren’t mutually exclusive. in order to be good at making runs at 3 it may be preferable to be able to counter attack, reclaim the momentum, steady the ship etc….

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Number threes should be good at making runs at number three. Imposing your personal #intent preferences on them is counterproductive.
Obviously Barrington would walk into the current England team as the number 3 because none of the other tried batsman are able to make consistent runs In that position. But when constructing ATG teams we can choose from a wide range of batsman with different techniques and temperaments. And I think that ‘counter-attacking’ batsman are ideally the best type of batsman for the number 3 position. Ponting springs to mind as the modern ‘archetype‘ who can set the tempo of the innings.

Incidentally, to my knowledge Boycott and Barrington are the only batsman in history to be dropped for being too slow…..

Even by the standards of his time, Barrington’s rate attracted criticism. In 1965, for example, he took 435 minutes to reach 137 against New Zealand and was dropped by way of punishment. Nothing can detract from his overall statistics, however, and quite unlike Boycott, Barrington was universally praised as a person.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously Barrington would walk into the current England team as the number 3 because none of the other tried batsman are able to make consistent runs In that position. But when constructing ATG teams we can choose from a wide range of batsman with different techniques and temperaments. And I think that ‘counter-attacking’ batsman are ideally the best type of batsman for the number 3 position. Ponting springs to mind as the modern ‘archetype‘ who can set the tempo of the innings.

Incidentally, to my knowledge Boycott and Barrington are the only batsman in history to be dropped for being too slow…..

Why does a #3 ideally need to be attacking though? If I open my ATG lineup with sehwag and have Gilchrist at 7 (Just for example) why do you need someone who score quicker at 3 aswell.

Flem274*

123/5
This is why partially ATG sides are so divorced from how real cricket teams work.

#3 is one of the hardest spots to fill. You pick who is good enough. Given a rare choice between two good #3s then you have a few options. The most common seems to be one gets a promotion to open (another hard spot to fill).

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Also Tavare in 1984, to some extent (he wasn't scoring especially heavily but would probably have played a few more Tests if he'd scored the runs faster).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Why does a #3 ideally need to be attacking though? If I open my ATG lineup with sehwag and have Gilchrist at 7 (Just for example) why do you need someone who score quicker at 3 aswell.
I always thought your 4 or 5 should be attacking. There to counter-attack, or ice the cake.

Number 3 should be someone with great all-round batting ability, which is usually why the best batsmen ends up there.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh I always thought that 3 and 4 should be more stabilizing in general rather than aggressive necessarily, to head off a potential collapse in case the openers go cheap.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Think I’ve posted this before but Barrington, May, and Compton all have career S/Rs in the low 40s, according to Charles Davis. And yet May and Compton were seen as more attacking. Perhaps because they were easier on the eye and played in winning teams people think they must have scored at a faster clip than Barrington.