• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best non batsman, batsmen.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I said majority of tests at #7 or below, so he most certainlydoes qualify.

He was also an all-rounder, so he qualifies by every metric.
Once again Gilly is not a "non batsman". Picking him defeats the purpose of the thread. There is a case for Jadeja, Kapil, etc. But they batted at #7 too.

Non batsmen bat at #8 or lower.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Once again Gilly is not a "non batsman". Picking him defeats the purpose of the thread. There is a case for Jadeja, Kapil, etc. But they batted at #7 too.

Saying "once again" and repeating your wrong statement doesn't make it any less wrong. The OP has been pretty clear what was intended by "non-batsman" and Gilly definitely qualifies. If you want to talk about batting at 8 or lower or whatever you're on about then you can make your own thread.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Well, I started the thread, and I set the parameters. Conventionally (at least over the last 40 years), teams basically pick batsmen in their top 6s, usually a keeper at #7 and bowlers from 8-11. Sometimes keepers bat lower than 7, sometime a bowling allrounder bats at 7.

You're correct about Gilly being a good batsman, Gilly would probably make any test team in history as a top 6 batsman. But he meets my criteria of having batted at 7 the majority of his career. He wasn't selected as a top six bat, he was selected as a keeper to bat at #7. Therefore he has every right to be included along with Jadeja or Kapil or whoever.

I also mentioned naming 20 players, because I was well aware the best would be Gilchrist and I thought it would be interesting to see who others thought the best batsmen were who didn't spend the majority of the time in your top six.

If that's all alright with you, we'll move on from your Gilchrist fixation. 8-)

Burgey

Migara can't possibly have an Australian sit on top of any cricketing category. It ruins his entire day, if not week when it happens.

He'd pick Samararweera over Bradman in a batting draft, Dilhara Fernando over McGrath in a seam bowling poll and Murali over Symonds in a fielding one. If he was forced to choose anything positive about any Australian cricketer in history he'd be like the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz...

1612834242235.png

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Saying "once again" and repeating your wrong statement doesn't make it any less wrong. The OP has been pretty clear what was intended by "non-batsman" and Gilly definitely qualifies. If you want to talk about batting at 8 or lower or whatever you're on about then you can make your own thread.
The problem with including Gilly is that it's sort of a pointless discussion then?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Like I said, just move the discussion around where it makes sense. Gilly is like Bradman as far as this thread goes. But if we do limit it to 8-11, I feel Shaun Pollock wins it hands down as well. Thoughts?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Late career Andy Bichel improved immensly with the bat, ended up with more FC tons than Pollock

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Like I said, just move the discussion around where it makes sense. Gilly is like Bradman as far as this thread goes. But if we do limit it to 8-11, I feel Shaun Pollock wins it hands down as well. Thoughts?
Can we just roll with the thread? The best batsmen who didn’t spend the majority of their careers batting top 6? Lol

TheJediBrah

That awkward moment when the discussion about the parameters of the thread is more interesting than the actual discussion the thread is supposed to be about