• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best 'keeper of the 90s

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 90s saw each of Australia, England, Pakistan and NZ field top class wicket-keepers. But who was the best between Healy, Russell, Latif and Parore? There's always talk of the best bowler and batsmen of that decade but the wicket-keeping stocks don't appear low on quality either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As a pure keeper, I think Nayan Mongia belongs in this conversation as anyone else mentioned. Healy probably the best mainly because he had to keep to both world class seamers and a world class spinner and thus the most challenged. But Mongia and Latif/Moin and Kalu were all equally good in what are usually the toughest conditions for spinners, the subcontinent dustbowls.

trundler

Russell and Latif were routinely dropped for not being good enough batsmen whilst Healy who was adequate for the time ended up being dropped for a better batsman. In Healy's case at least Gilchrist was (better than) test class with the gloves and a significant upgrade batting wise whereas Moin and Stewart were pretty shoddy. In hindsight sticking with the better 'keeper would've done everyone but Australia well.

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah this keeper:

Sillycowcorner1 said:
My earliest cricketing memory was going to a List A match with my dad and a few neighbors (All men, I was the only kid there in the group) in 1996 or 1997. I recall so vividly the scoreboard (The same one I would later operate) and asking my dad why the numbers are changing. "Those are runs the batsman make" he answered. I followed up with, "Why isn't that weird England wicketkeeper here as he was on the TV?" He never answered that question.
From: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/off-topic/81879-cw-member-interviews-21.html

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Russell was the best keeper in an era when being a good 'keeper who was an adequate batsman was being replaced by adequate 'keepers who were good batsmen.

morgieb

Russell and Latif were routinely dropped for not being good enough batsmen whilst Healy who was adequate for the time ended up being dropped for a better batsman. In Healy's case at least Gilchrist was (better than) test class with the gloves and a significant upgrade batting wise whereas Moin and Stewart were pretty shoddy. In hindsight sticking with the better 'keeper would've done everyone but Australia well.
Though Healy was only dumped when his batting went really south (like his last 10 or so Tests he was averaging like 10). He was also pretty old when it happened.

At least Stewart was significantly ahead of Russell as a bat (but less so when batting middle-order). Was there really a significant difference between Rashid Latif and Moin Khan as batsmen?

Tom Flint

International Regular
Latif also kept to brilliant spinners and a better pace attack. So I don't really understand that argument that is being made

trundler

Though Healy was only dumped when his batting went really south (like his last 10 or so Tests he was averaging like 10). He was also pretty old when it happened.

At least Stewart was significantly ahead of Russell as a bat (but less so when batting middle-order). Was there really a significant difference between Rashid Latif and Moin Khan as batsmen?
Moin had more batting pedigree. They both averaged almost the same with the bat so it isn't a Knott v Taylor scenario but Moin had more of an ability to grit it out. Of course Latif's discontentment with the fixing saga and Pakistani team politics played a big part in it too but I think the general idea back then was to pick Moin when they needed runs and they went with Latif when they need the safer pair of hands.

Not sure how Latif compares to Bari. Both of them are spoken of highly without quite being in the Knott tier.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yep I too think Healy was better, although I don't get why keeping to McGrath merv Warne and whoever else would be harder than akram waqar akhtar and mushtaq

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think keeping to the Aussie attack was particularly harder than the Pak attack given the Pak attack was more varied but also more prone to indiscipline. I just think Healy made very little mistakes keeping to a tough Aussie attack than Latif/Moin did keeping to maybe a tougher attack. So overall, just think Healy was the best of the 90s keepers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yep I still wouldn't say they are a better attack at all

Better quality attack is a different question altogether but just from a keeper's perspective, its easier to keep to a disciplined bowling attack than to one which is prone to bowling either side and half of the length of the pitch. Add to it things like reverse swing, doosras, googlies etc which Healy almost never had to face, and it is obvious the challenge was far greater for the Pak keeper IMO. Its just that neither Moin or Latif really did that well as keepers to even claim to have been better than Healy. Healy was excellent most of the time and good even at his worst but the Pak keepers just swung infuriatingly all across the spectrum of very poor to excellent. So Healy I just feel acquitted himself better as the keeper and therefore, IMO, is the keeper of the 90s.

And Parore was rather inconsistent too. Excellent at his best, pretty bad at his worst, and that is even with the bat I think.