• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best keeper in the world today?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I can't imagine how anyone could consider Sangakkara a better glovesman than Gilchrist. In fact, their batting is closer than their keeping, as far as I'm concerned. Sangakkara has come a long way from someone who pretty much wasn't test standard with the gloves early in his career, and he's one of the better keepers going around and obviously keeps to Murali very well now, but he's not particularly brilliant.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Akmal was miles ahead of Gilly keeping wise during Pak tour to Aus and apart from the 2nd test against England i have never seen him underperform with the gloves.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Boucher had one of his worst days with the gloves but I followed him very closely and was impressed. He crouches a lot lower than Gilchrist and almost always takes the ball on the inside. Sometimes I think he moves a little early and then drastically late but he really does use his knees well. That was my first impression anyway. I think I need to keep a bit more like Mark Boucher.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Jungle Jumbo said:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/220524.html

Analysis of keepers

IMO Sangakkara is the best behind the stumps, but Khaled Mashud is normally pretty flawless as well
Mashud's a pretty good keeper. He's dedicated and works pretty hard on his game but I've noticed that he fumbles the ball a little too much. Generally he's a good keeper but he has days where he can just not take anything cleanly and it's cost them (Kenya during the World Cup). Although to be fair he was up to 2am gambling on the morning of the game. Great captain he was :p

Now Mushfiqur Rahim. There's a magnificent keeper who will be rated among the best glovesmen in the world. Very good hands and excellent to the spinners. I've never seen someone that competant at removing the bails. Seccombe maybe.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
The Cricinfo article is pretty interesting and I think their statistic for percentage of chances held is perhaps the single best measure for keeping performance. Most of the current keepers are bunched together in the mid to late 80's but McCullum is significantly lower at 73. Also interesting is the improvement in batting averages through the years: a full 10 runs between the 50's and this decade.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
Blaze said:
I don't think any one is standing out head and shoulders above the rest. I have never rated Gilchrist as a keeper, although he does do a good job keeping to Warne.

Adam Parore
okay i guess he's a slip fielder then.. or maybe even a bowler.....

jees!

i reckon gilchrist, he is the best, he's just looking sloppy this year 'compared to others' because we're not used to this type of 'sloppyness' from him :O

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/220524.html

Analysis of keepers

IMO Sangakkara is the best behind the stumps, but Khaled Mashud is normally pretty flawless as well
One could be "smartly uncahritable" and say that the fewer byes conceded can be on account of poorer bowling side with batsmen not letting many deliveries go to the keeper :p

The presence of a Bangladeshi, a Zimbabwean and a recent Windies keeper also makes it sound plausible.

More byes, particularly off spinners are conceded by keepers when they are also beaten once the batsman is while standing up. Thats why those keeing to high class spinners are rated so higly.