• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best English players never to have won anything

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Inspired by Harry Kane of course. Earlier players would include Johnny Haynes, Tony Currie and Matt Le Tissier. And, I think, Tom Finney, Neil Franklin and Jimmy Armfield. There are probably several players from the days when they didn't so readily change clubs, but I'm struggling to think of them right now. Can we think of any others?

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never mind English players, I'm struggling to think of any player better than Kane who's won literally nothing. Long may it continue.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was gonna say Gazza but suppose he won a couple of SPLs

and an FA Cup. Terrible shout really. I’ll get my coat
And a Scottish Cup and a Scottish League Cup, where during half time in the final, with Rangers 2-1 down to Hearts he has a blazing row with Ally McCoist, sinks a double brandy and inspires a 2nd half come back to win 4-2.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Never mind English players, I'm struggling to think of any player better than Kane who's won literally nothing. Long may it continue.
Apparently the great Brazilian Socrates never won anything. I only knew that after scouting around after posting my OP and was shocked.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Joe Baker, ex of the Arse, is probably worthy of a nod.

An old fashioned English centre forward, albeit one who was raised in Motherwell and started his career at Hibs, after his early success in Edinburgh he moved to Torino (where he shared an apartment with Denis Law) and then to Highbury where he was our top scorer for three of the four seasons he spent at the old marble halls.

He was then (controversially given, at 26, he was probably still in theory to peak) sold to Forest where, in his first season, came as close as he ever would to a major honour when the tricky Trees finished as runners-up in the old Div One to the Busby Babes, who would win the following season's European Cup.

Joe is probably most famous nowadays for being the only other player before Owen Hargreaves who was capped for England without ever playing for an English club. He was (apparently) close to selection for the 66 WC squad, but was ultimately overlooked for the tyro Hurst.

Joe probably wouldn't thank you for calling him English though, he was born in Liverpool to Scottish parents who moved back to their homeland when he was 18 months old. He played for the Scottish schoolboys but apparently the rules that pertained at the time meant England was his only option for a senior cap.

This is probably borne out by his elder brother Gerry, born in New York (their dad was a merchant seaman, I think, so they moved about a bit between port cities), playing for the US rather than Scotland.

Joe scored 93 league goals for the Arse in 144 games and 301 in 504 in total senior football, a ratio that stacks up pretty favourably against some of the greats of the English game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was initially struggling to think of a keeper. I remembered one our resident oldies' assertion that there were loads of keepers in the 1970s who were better than Pickford, but Corrigan won the LC with City in 1976 and Parkes won the FA Cup with West Ham in 1980. And I didn't really want to pick one of the others who probably weren't quite as good as we like to think they were. Then I remembered Ron Springett, who played for England in the 1962 WC and was only displaced by Banks by the 1966 WC, for which he was also in the squad. Which suggests that he was pretty good. Playing initially for QPR and then for Sheffield Wednesday meant that he never won any winners medals, notably due to The Owls losing 3-2 after leading 2-0 in the 1966 FA Cup Final. Thereafter, he returned to QPR shortly after they had won the 1967 League Cup Final. His brother Peter had been in goal for QPR when they won the League Cup, before anyone's tempted to tell me that Ron played in that game. And apparently they are the only brothers to be involved in a swap when Peter made the reverse journey to Sheffield Wednesday as part of the same deal.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If we're going to make an XI from this, a couple of defenders would help. Terry Fenwick's the best I can think of, but surely there are better alternatives. So far, we have a keeper, a right back and centre half (Armfield and Franklin respectively), Haynes and Currie in midfield, Le Tissier in however we choose to describe his role, Finney and four centre forwards (Kane, Worthington, Ings and Baker).

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My first thought for left back was Tony Dorigo, but after checking it appears I'd forgotten he moved to the dirties in time for them to win the last (old) Div One title.

Even if he stretches the "English" definition to near breaking point.

Leighton Baines instead, maybe?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My first thought for left back was Tony Dorigo, but after checking it appears I'd forgotten he moved to the dirties in time for them to win the last (old) Div One title.

Even if he stretches the "English" definition to near breaking point.

Leighton Baines instead, maybe?
Yeah, maybe. I was wondering about Le Saux, but I'd forgotten about him winning the league with Blackburn and a couple of cups with Chelsea. Sansom almost qualifies but for winning the League Cup with your boys in the late 1980s. I think that's Ken's only winners' medal.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So we're currently looking at:
Springett
Armfield, Franklin, Fenwick, Baines/Statham
Haynes, Currie
Le Tissier, Finney
Kane, Worthington

It's probably too early to bring in Rice or Phillips to stiffen the midfield. I know that's inconsistent with including Kane, but Harry was the inspiration for the thread, so he stays.