• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best(current) commentators

Stapel

International Regular
Atherton, Hussain & Bishop are at the top, for me.

A fair few come next. For very different reasons I have enjoyed Holding, Lloyd, Botham, Boycott and others.

I have some (not much) experience in commentating myself. It's quite easy to say something utterly useless. I guess the hardest part is to simply shut up, when not much is going on.
I really dislike Warne behinf the mic. Really makes me feel I'm listening to a bloke who has never been playing cricket......... And to think he was regarded a thinking cricketer. To a lesser extend, I have the same with Botham. Just shows the ridiculous amount of talent these guys had, not?

To stick to the positive: nothing beats Athers & Nasser together!

smash84

The Tiger King
Atherton, Hussain & Bishop are at the top, for me.

A fair few come next. For very different reasons I have enjoyed Holding, Lloyd, Botham, Boycott and others.

I have some (not much) experience in commentating myself. It's quite easy to say something utterly useless. I guess the hardest part is to simply shut up, when not much is going on.
I really dislike Warne behinf the mic. Really makes me feel I'm listening to a bloke who has never been playing cricket......... And to think he was regarded a thinking cricketer. To a lesser extend, I have the same with Botham. Just shows the ridiculous amount of talent these guys had, not?

To stick to the positive: nothing beats Athers & Nasser together!
I loved Boycott in the commentary box. Had a good sense of humor too.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Mark Nicholas is the Vidkun Quisling of Cricket punditry. Just this very day he was purring over Warner's left-hand cover drives.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Nasser Hussain is awesome. Excellent voice, delivery, correct mix of insight and genuine excitement and praise of good cricket.

Zinzan

Great cricketer and seems like a great guy Ian Bishop, but I find him pretty boring as a commentator. He just basically covers the obvious.

Hussain's been the best for quite a few years now for mine.

Zinzan

Scott "Pig' Styris has a slightly grating voice, but his insights are generally excellent.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Any love for the Supersport team? Pommie Mbangwa, Wessels, Haysman, and Pollock are a great bunch of commentators too, Pommie being one of my favourites.

I know the Kiwi commentators sometimes get **** on, but when they're not being so damn biased I feel they're actually a top commentary team

Bahseph

State Captain
I've been pleasently surprised by Smith. I get why he had so much success as SA captain. He reads the game very well and isn't afraid to speak his mind about making a brave call. McKenzie is great to have on when you want to hear about batting technique, so is Wessels tbh. And Pollock, although he gets tongue tied, is as good of an analyst of fast bowling as I've ever seen. Really knows his stuff. Pommie is a good host, doesn't add much insight as a commentator. Abit cheerleader like. Haysman really shouldn't be there.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never minded Haysman tbh, even if he never changes the pitch of his voice when commenting on anything.

What exactly is wrong with him? Maybe i'm just numb to cheerleading after summer upon summer of having Channel 9 in my diet.

OverratedSanity

Pollock may bring a little bit of insight from time to time when he's talking fast bowling but he's just unforgivably boring.

Bolo

State Captain
I've been pleasently surprised by Smith. I get why he had so much success as SA captain. He reads the game very well and isn't afraid to speak his mind about making a brave call. McKenzie is great to have on when you want to hear about batting technique, so is Wessels tbh. And Pollock, although he gets tongue tied, is as good of an analyst of fast bowling as I've ever seen. Really knows his stuff. Pommie is a good host, doesn't add much insight as a commentator. Abit cheerleader like. Haysman really shouldn't be there.
Is your perception of him a a successful captain based on the number of wins he had? He played the most matches as captain, and his win/loss ratio is worse than all the recent long term RSA captains.

Daemon

He was commentating in a test match recently wasn't he? How was he?

He's been on record saying he tries to do the whole high octane shtick in T20s because it's more 'fun', and I don't blame him for it tbh. He's got tons of fans in India, and if that's good commentary to them, who are we to say he's not a good one? Very subjective thing really.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hussain
Pollock
Holding
Atherton

Actually don't like Atherton with his snarly remarks and that irritating smile. I think it came from the few occasions he frustrated us and blocked us to death. :D

But I really respect his perspective on the game and his knowledge of the history of the game too. The sort of questions he poses I find interesting. Cambridge scholar and all that :laugh: