• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Cricket ground?

jcoops

Cricket Spectator
I have a liking for the Oval haven't been in it but I've seen it from the outside,And I've obviously seen it on Tele and it looks good

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of the top quality/ internation standard grounds, for me it's either the SCG, or the Ted Burge Sportsground.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Like the ambience of the Gabba, makes the crowd acoustics sound different to anywhere else in the world.

Edgbaston good value too, for the frequency of quality matches it hosts.

Burgey

Yeah, I used to like the Gabba, but last time i went there I thought the changes, while making it more comfortable, took away some of the character of the ground.

I fear a similar fate withthe SCG now the Hill is gone.

PS: Newlands is nice as well.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basin Reserve is a lovely ground, but the two stands desperately need replacement/refurbishment. It looks like the set rejected for the original film of Get Carter if you are sitting looking towards the R.A.Vance stand. At least it ensures you concentrate on the cricket as the pitch and its environs are, indeed, a delight.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Basin Reserve for me too, and it's great in Sydney now too having such a nice cricket watching ground such as the SCG available.

The Cake tin is awful, can't stand watching any sort of sport there. Worst ground in the country for me.

Ironic really that Wellington has the best and worst for me.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Cake tin is awful, can't stand watching any sort of sport there. Worst ground in the country for me.
Totally agreed. Its an abysmal sports ground. The only sport that I can see it working for is Aussie Rules. You're just so far away from the action for any other sport, PLUS they always close off the front three rows for the cricket. Its a pathetic ground.

Compare this with places like the Suncorp which have a much more open design, or the Waikato Stadium where you're always up close to the action and the Cake Tin is shown to be, frankly, an embarassment.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Totally agreed. Its an abysmal sports ground. The only sport that I can see it working for is Aussie Rules. You're just so far away from the action for any other sport, PLUS they always close off the front three rows for the cricket. Its a pathetic ground.

Compare this with places like the Suncorp which have a much more open design, or the Waikato Stadium where you're always up close to the action and the Cake Tin is shown to be, frankly, an embarassment.
You're right on the money there.

I was really disappointed when Athletic Park was brought down. That was a fantastic rugby watching ground, and I enjoyed many a game there with my Dad through the years. Even though the location obviously wasn't as good as where the Caketin is I always hoped they would just do it up and stick with it, along with an upgraded Basin Reserve for cricket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If they put up a really nice Pavillion at Queenstown, it would be unrivalled if you ask me.

_Ed_

Seddon Park in Hamilton is my favourite of the grounds I've been to. Also liked the Basin Reserve and The Oval.

Eden Park is woeful. The atmosphere at the Twenty20 was great though, it works well there. Don't like the Cake Tin either.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Have only been to the G :( for intl or domestic... would like to watch intl cricket on a normal sized ground one day :p

99*

International Debutant
Seddon Park in Hamilton is my favourite of the grounds I've been to. Also liked the Basin Reserve and The Oval.

Eden Park is woeful. The atmosphere at the Twenty20 was great though, it works well there. Don't like the Cake Tin either.
AWTA, went to the Eng/NZ game, sitting in the terraces, one of the best crowds at a cricket game in Auckland for a while. But something needs to be done about it's dimentions.

I really like Queenstown as a ground, always looks good on TV. Must go to a game there one day.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Newlands, Cape Town

honourable mentions..

Paarl
Pretoria
Johannesburg
Harare
Taunton
Trent Bridge
Queenstown
SCG