• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowling finishers in ODI cricket.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Now that the obvious joke is out of the way, yeah, Starc and Maling currently. Wasim, Flintoff, McGrath ,Garner from eras gone by.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Brett Lee
Brett Lee was a good death option when you were behind in the game and needed something special; he often dragged Australia back into it. He could really go the journey at the death too -- more moreso than other bowlers of his calibre -- so I wouldn't put him up there with the best who you could bank on to ram home a strong position too. Lee was the death bowling equivalent of going all in.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
yeah freddie and darren gough were both superb for england at the death.

gough could bowl those hooping yorkers almost at will.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tim Southee is pretty good at this skill I suppose.
Sometimes. Definitely our best death bowler, but he isn't anywhere near the Malinga territory. Southee bowls a pretty good bouncer, has a nice slower variation and you can rely on that game in game out. His yorker and lines at the death can sometimes go missing though. Which typically means he will bowl 3-4 good balls, and 2-3 balls that are decent if we're lucky and outright pies if we're not.

I think with the real top level death bowlers like Malinga, you'll see a few inswinging yorkers, a slower ball, a couple bouncers and all of a sudden you're looking at 5-6 good balls.

People are definitely waaaaaaay too judgy on how a batsman comes off in the short term when criticising at the death though. Sometimes there is absolutely nothing the bowler can do, they're minmising risk, not eliminating it. There is no such thing as an unhittable ball these days.

Debris

International 12th Man
Brett Lee was a good death option when you were behind in the game and needed something special; he often dragged Australia back into it. He could really go the journey at the death too -- more moreso than other bowlers of his calibre -- so I wouldn't put him up there with the best who you could bank on to ram home a strong position too. Lee was the death bowling equivalent of going all in.
I always felt that Lee was as least as reliable as McGrath as a death bowler.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wasn't Umar Gul awesome for around 12-24 months? Around the time Pakistan won the T20 WC in 2009?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Wasn't Umar Gul awesome for around 12-24 months? Around the time Pakistan won the T20 WC in 2009?
Umar Gul was so effective in the 2007 T20 WC, the difference there was that he was assigned a set role which suited him. He didn't bowl with the new ball in the tournament, delivered amazing yorkers, slower ones and bouncers at the death.