• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Attack - Tests

Best (potential) Current Bowling Attack? 3 VOTES!!!

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach
That's all well and good and I tend to agree but I find it incredibly hard to rate him as anything more than a good prospect until he actually starts taking regular wickets. Same goes for Roach. I've seen too many young bowlers look like they're going to take a stack of wickets and not do so to fall into that.
That fair I guess.

Pasag,

India is no more as reliant on its spinners since Kumble has retired.

subshakerz

International Coach
Aus and SAF are good. But put them on a turner, and that attack is docile. Pakistan potentially has the best all ound bowling attack. With Aamer, Asif, Gul, Rana, Ajmal, Kaneria and Afridi to pick from. That attack can prosper on any surface. So my vote is on Pakistan.
Rana isn't close to the test side and Afridi has quit test cricket. If Afridi was playing Pakistan would be good contenders with a fifth option.

pasag

RTDAS
Based on their track record, I would say South Africa (Steyn, Ntini, Morkel, Harris, Kallis). The fact is that the attack is more than the sum of its parts. Kallis is a viable fifth bowling option that both Australia and Pakistan lack. Steyn is the best fast bowler in the world and Ntini is the most experienced. You can doubt the form of the bowlers individually but as a whole they manage to support Steyn well and consistently take 20 wickets, even in India and Pakistan.

Next is either Australia or Pakistan. Hilfy, Johnson and Siddle are all wickettakers but only sporadically and Hauritz isnt any sort of major threat. They are also unproven on the subcontinent. In form, the pacers are destructive but need to establish some sort of consistency before making any big claims.

Pakistan with Aamer, Asif and Gul have potentially the best pace attack and Kaneria is a better wickettaker than both Harris and Haurtiz. Asif is right up there with Steyn but Aamer is still raw and will need some time to develop. Gul is a fine thrid seamer but hasnt quite hit his stride in test cricket. What keeps them back is that they only played one series together so far so are still unproven.
Ntini's almost finished and Watson's taking regular wickets as a fifth bowling option for Aus.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Kaneria wouldn't get in the South African or England sides. Always outperformed by the opposition spinners (Monty, Harris).
That was when Kaneria was going through his worst run of form. Kaneria though no world beater is comfortably better then the two and has actually won test matches on his own.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh I did not see there are three votes. I would put SAF and AUS as well. But if everything goes well and bowlers manage to be injury free, SL will be up there soon with Thushara, Malinga, Prasad, Fernando, Kulasekara, Welagedara, Mathews, Herath and Mendis to pick from.
That's a pretty rancid attack. Prasad no accuracy and is hardly express, Kula can't get a wicket outside Sri Lanka, Mathews isn't an international bowler, Herath is a hack and Fernando has been around years and done nothing of great note.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan with Aamer, Asif and Gul have potentially the best pace attack and Kaneria is a better wickettaker than both Harris and Haurtiz. Asif is right up there with Steyn but Aamer is still raw and will need some time to develop. Gul is a fine thrid seamer but hasnt quite hit his stride in test cricket. What keeps them back is that they only played one series together so far so are still unproven.
Steyn>Asif

Asif is pretty mediocre on a flat track due to lack of pace.Both are equally lethal on a seamer though Asif would have an edge on a wearing-flaky day 4-5 pitch as that allows his lethal offcutters to grip the surface.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That was when Kaneria was going through his worst run of form. Kaneria though no world beater is comfortably better then the two and has actually won test matches on his own.
So has Harris and Monty. Harris has bowled South Africa to a test series victory in Pakistan.

Kaneria did well against New Zealand but I fully expect figures of 3 for 150 odd against Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis and Ntini are proven performers too.
In clear decline as bowlers especially Ntini. Morkel is still stuck in potential mode not sure how long SA will stick with him if he doesn't step up in current series vs ENG. While the likes of Parnell & De Wet are unproven as well. Harris also now may be exposed if he has to take up more wicket role as a spinner - since he is nothing special.

SA attack is not the same one currently that made them so successful between 2006-2009

Which Australians would you consider proven?
Hifly/Siddle/Johnson are proven. Probably not in all conditions, but they have been getting better in each test. So on potential i'd say they would be the best - but of course its not top quality as yet.

subshakerz

International Coach
Steyn>Asif

Asif is pretty mediocre on a flat track due to lack of pace.Both are equally lethal on a seamer though Asif would have an edge on a wearing-flaky day 4-5 pitch as that allows his lethal offcutters to grip the surface.
I agree Steyn is better than Asif but they are certainly in the same league as consistent matchwinners which is what I meant.

Xuhaib

International Coach
So has Harris and Monty. Harris has bowled South Africa to a test series victory in Pakistan.

Kaneria did well against New Zealand but I fully expect figures of 3 for 150 odd against Australia.
been bowling with a better bowling plan these days so I will reserve my judgement.

I think a lot of a bowling side's effectivness is dependent upon how they are backed by their batsman in that regard Pakistan is at a massive disadvantage compared to some of the better sides.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hifly/Siddle/Johnson are proven. Probably not in all conditions, but they have been getting better in each test. So on potential i'd say they would be the best - but of course its not top quality as yet.
Not proven in the subcontinent. And if you are ranking on potential, then Asif, Aamer, Gul and Kaneria are potentially a much better attack than Johnson, Hilfy, Siddle and Hauritz.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
been bowling with a better bowling plan these days so I will reserve my judgement.

I think a lot of a bowling side's effectivness is dependent upon how they are backed by their batsman in that regard Pakistan is at a massive disadvantage compared to some of the better sides.
Yeah fair point and also in defence of Kaneria, he doesn't have the luxury of slip catches/close fielders and a wicket keeper who can catch/complete stumpings.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always thought Kaneria would be much more effective in a more structured environment with a better captain. He seems to ride the wave of the team a lot; I think a better leader could get a lot more out of him as he has all the tools to be a real quality leggie, including accuracy.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I've always thought Kaneria would be much more effective in a more structured environment with a better captain. He seems to ride the wave of the team a lot; I think a better leader could get a lot more out of him as he has all the tools to be a real quality leggie, including accuracy.
He bowls well when he bowls with a good unit. Lot of his best games came when he worked in tandem with Shoiab,Razzaq and Asif. Its not a surprise that his results went down when Shoaib and Asif lost their minds. After a long time he has a good support unit to work with and thus his perofrmances has improved

subshakerz

International Coach
I agree. Its not surprise that Kaneria's drop in form occurred at the same time Akmal became a butterfingers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not proven in the subcontinent.
Yes i said that in the line after that when i said "probably not in all conditions". Which suggested sub-continent pitches. I only expect Hilfenhaus to actually bowl well in such conditions when the time comes since only him i see with the potential to reverse swing the ball. So its back to 90s in the sub-continent for AUS unless another another Warne comes about sooner rather than another 30-40 years.

And if you are ranking on potential, then Asif, Aamer, Gul and Kaneria are potentially a much better attack than Johnson, Hilfy, Siddle and Hauritz.
Asif better than all of them of course but Johnson/Siddle better than Gul/Aamer IMO. Dont rate either Kaneria/hauritz as test quality spinners. If i could chose AUS would be playing 4-seamers all the time.