• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman

Which batsman would you choose and why?

• Lara

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Ponting

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Dravid

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Kallis

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Inzamam ul Haq

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Hayden

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lara is the best of those mentioned, fairly comfortably in my view. The best batsman of my lifetime, ahead of Steve Waugh.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
sorry..I must be a dunce of the highest order...because I dont think Dravid has accomplished more than say Tendulkar has!!!
Houston, We have a Problem here. ;)

adharcric

International Coach
Tendulkar for his consistent dominance. Unfair on Lara though.
Thus, the greatest is Lara-Tendulkar, neither deserve to be runner-up. Sachin Lara perhaps.

oz_fan

International Regular
adharcric said:
I think Aussie batsmen should by default be eliminated from "best batsman" discussions, because they never have to face the best bowlers in the world.:)
Good point but they do have to face the best bowlers in the world, just not a lot of good bowlers in the same team.
Murali, Pollock, Kumble, Vaas, Flintoff, Bond etc

adharcric

International Coach
oz_fan said:
Good point but they do have to face the best bowlers in the world, just not a lot of good bowlers in the same team.
Murali, Pollock, Kumble, Vaas, Flintoff, etc
It's the quality of the attack that really matters. The Aussies can play off Kumble and shred Zaheer and AA to pieces, that's just one example.

oz_fan

International Regular
Jono said:
A bit hard for Tendulkar and Lara to be chosen when amount of test wins is a criteria.
Yeah but he did beat Ponting who is thrashing him 6 votes to none.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
oz_fan said:
Yeah but he did beat Ponting who is thrashing him 6 votes to none.
Ah yes good point.

I guess you haven't been at CW for a while, but Hayden isn't exactly rated too highly here compared to say your general cricket fan or the continous praise you hear from him in the media and by commentators etc. There was a thread that mentioned how he was named player of the decade over your Sachin, Lara and Waugh, as well as the guys who have matured since 2000 like Ponting, Dravid, Inzy and Kallis. It wasn't well received.

Whether the criticism he receives here is justified or harsh is up for debate I guess. He's a very good player, but I just don't see him anywhere close to Ponting from 1996-2006, and considering Hayden barely played the first half of the decade whereas Ponting played most of it, its quite tricky how Wisden came up with him as player of the decade. He without a doubt has a fabulous record and on paper if someone never watched any cricket but just saw his record over the past few years (continously getting 1000+ runs) would think he's possibly one of the best ever, but as with many other things, cricket is much more than just stats and records.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
..but he put them under accomplishments. They're clearly not accomplishments if he hasn't done them yet! Thus, it's an utterly stupid reason to rate Ponting higher than Dravid. If you want to make a case from other reasons, that's fine, but rating one higher because he might in the future accomplish something is ridiculous.
"might"...isn't this the same notion applied to another player we may know?

oz_fan

International Regular
I voted for Lara but I really am surprised that Tendulkar hasn't got more votes considering he has scored the most centuries and been so consistent for most of his career.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I chose Dravid, simply because he'd be the "rock" of the lineup. Though, Ponting if he would be in his current form, Tendulkar if he was back at his best...

oz_fan

International Regular
Robertinho said:
I chose Dravid, simply because he'd be the "rock" of the lineup. Though, Ponting if he would be in his current form, Tendulkar if he was back at his best...
Yeah at the moment whenever Dravid, Ponting or Kallis come to the crease you expect a big innings from them and you know their reliable. Lara throughout his career has always been eratic, 200 one day and 0, 5, 4, 2 in the next few innings. Tendulkar never used to be like this, you could always expect a fifty from him but rececntly his become more and more like Lara.

Cloete

International Captain
Richard said:
Anyone who doesn't think Rahul Dravid has accomplished more than any other batsman of the 1990s and 2000s is a dunce of the highest order.
You really are a **** of the highest order, aren't you?

Just for the record, it's Lara for me...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Considering the entire career i would say Tendulkar just ahead of Lara , 35 test cenuries i think just gets him my vote. Ponting and Dravid are obviously the best players of the last couple of years with Kallis just behind if those two can keep it up for a couple more years then they can be ranked as good if not better than Lara and Tendulkar.

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
Seeing as thogh Tendulkar and Lara have been around for a while longer than Ponting it is interesting that many people think that Ponting has achieved more than the leading run scorer and test century maker in a shorter career.
Is it possible that Ponting by the time he retires will ascend to Bradman level?

Beleg

International Regular
During the 90's:

1. Tendulkar
2. Lara
3. Inzamam
4. Dravid
5. Ponting
6. Kallis

During the 2000's:

1. Dravid
2. Ponting
3. Inzamam
4. Kallis
5. Lara
6. Tendulkar

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
sorry..I must be a dunce of the highest order...because I dont think Dravid has accomplished more than say Tendulkar has!!!
Another dunce because I'd go for Lara.