• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ben Stokes vs Corey J Anderson - who'll have the better (test) career?

Who will have the better test career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Question has come up a wee bit in some other threads

Career stats so far:
Stokes
4 test matches - all vs Australia, in Australia
Batting
279 runs, one century, average 34.87, SR 50.81​
Bowling
15 wickets, 1 5for, average 32.80, econ 4.21, SR 46.7​

Anderson
5 test matches, 2 vs Bangladesh in Bangladesh, 3 vs a very weak WI side in NZ
Batting
222 runs, one century, average 37, SR 59.51​
Bowling
11 wickets, no 5fors (best a 3for), average 19.36, econ 2.42, SR 48​

Although their batting averages are similar, Stokes has scored more runs against a far superior bowling attack to anything Anderson has faced. So I have to give the batting to Stokes at the moment, with the reservation that Anderson could still prove himself. He seems an excellent player of spin bowling (well, compared to most NZ batsmen) which is nice in a number 6.

In terms of bowling, Stokes looks like he's much more of a strike bowler and can bowl as a genuine third seamer, much like Flintoff or Cairns. Anderson, despite his excellent average and strike rate, seems like more of a Watson/Kallis type bowler who will be very miserly - I think his current strike rate and average are very flattering at the moment, but his economy is quite a good reflection of what he adds to a team.

So Stokes at the moment is probably slightly the better player. The problem, as with a lot of all rounders, is actually deciding his role in the team. Whereas Anderson has very clearly been given the message that his batting is what's going to keep him in the team, Stokes is already being used as a third seamer, and is certainly better than Bresnan, Tremlett etc etc. When that's happening - and given that it doesn't appear that England have many other good bowling options past Jimmy and Broad, wouldn't it be better for him to bat at 8 so that England can stack their batting lineup?

It'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No disrespect to Anderson but I think Stokes is going to be one of the best all-rounders England's ever seen. Lots of all-rounders suffer a crisis of confidence about their exact place in a team, always trying to prove they can bat if they're a bowling all-rounder and vice-versa. Stokes seems unaffected by any of that; when he was picked to bat 6 and take on more batting responsibility in Adelaide, looked the g00ds and when he was given more of the ball, took wickets. That and he appears a serious competitor.

The big challenge for him will be when England want him to play in all 3 forms.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah those are pretty much my thoughts on things at the moment too, but I would like to have a better look at Anderson playing tougher opposition.

Stokes' bowling style looks like it's perfectly suited to Australian conditions so it will be interesting to see how he goes elsewhere. Sometimes it's nice to have that subtle swing that blokes like Watson provide in the subcontinent.

Just hope that neither of them suffer any major injuries.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stokes' bowling record in County Cricket is actually pretty tidy and it's not like he's taken all his poles at home either (Chester-le-Street is infamously green) which is heartening to see.
So while I'm relatively confident in his wicket taking ability in England, when it comes to elsewhere the Ashes just gone was promising but besides that he takes enough wickets with the white ball to suggest he might do reasonably well on some flatter pitches. Obviously it's a different format but it's the closest thing we've got to a substantial sample size of him bowling with little movement on offer. He's 'at' the batsman enough to make things happen even if there's little assistance in my opinion. How often he makes them happen and at what cost will be the bigger issues.

Flem274*

123/5
I trust England to help a player succeed more. Anderson also seems unwilling to commit to bowling at full tilt thanks to his injuries so he may be all in on his batting, whereas Stokes looks to be trying to be both a batsman and a bowler.

Talent wise with the bat it could go either way, but Stokes is more polished (Anderson is still yet to be tested on the compulsive drive weakness that gets him out in FC at test level) and trusts his body to let loose with his seamers.

Stokes is the most likely to come out on top imo. If Anderson delivers on his talent with the bat though then this will be too close to call, and will probably need to be split in the field or the bowling.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Based on current observation I would say Stokes will be the better test player while Anderson will be the better ODI player. ;-)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes' bowling record in County Cricket is actually pretty tidy and it's not like he's taken all his poles at home either (Chester-le-Street is infamously green) which is heartening to see.
So while I'm relatively confident in his wicket taking ability in England, when it comes to elsewhere the Ashes just gone was promising but besides that he takes enough wickets with the white ball to suggest he might do reasonably well on some flatter pitches. Obviously it's a different format but it's the closest thing we've got to a substantial sample size of him bowling with little movement on offer. He's 'at' the batsman enough to make things happen even if there's little assistance in my opinion. How often he makes them happen and at what cost will be the bigger issues.
He can't get wickets at CLS as by the time he gets a bowl Onions has already got half a side out anyway.

Being serious though he looks a real top prospect if he stays fit and keeps his head.

Flem274*

123/5
Imagine how gutted Canterbury must be. Stokes' old man whisked Ben away before they had a chance and ND plucked Corey J at 20 odd. In another universe maybe these two are batting at 6 and 7 for the red and blacks.

CWs beloved Cantabrian allrounder Andy Ellis the biggest benefactor from it all.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just hope that we manage Stokes better than we did Freddie

And that Stokes looks after himself more, I suppose

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson to get injured and Stokes to be affected by getting moved around the order (batsman who bowls, 3rd seamer at 8, balanced all rounder etc) ala Joe Root, so I'll say Jimmy Neesham

91Jmay

International Coach
I don't think Stokes features much as a T20 player for us, which should help manage his workload fairly considerably (as they are only going to be playing more and more of that stuff). Both are talented players but still have heaps to prove with bat and ball. Anderson needs to actually face a half decent team, Stokes needs to stop bowling one horrific long hop per over and we haven't actually seen him bat when a game actually matters (by the time he's got in we've been blown away). Stokes times the ball gorgeously and fronted up pretty well to Mitch and co so I'd probably wager on Stokes just for level of competition (and bias obviously).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to say as I havn't seen much of either of them - if forced into raw speculation then I would say -

Anderson will be the better batsman. Strikes the ball more cleanly and is a gun against spin in particular.
Stokes looks to be a better bowler.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
As far as bowling goes, Anderson is more of a Shane Watson type IMO, the kind of guy who can keep it tight effectively and pick up occasional wickets. Stokes on the other hand seems to be more of a strike bowler, he can't maintain his line and length as well but he probably bowls a few more wicket-taking deliveries. The batting looks pretty even, but I want to see Anderson against more testing fast bowling attacks than the Bangers and the WI before I make a call

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You guys have pretty much said exactly what I said in the OP. I mean, I know I'm comprehensive, but jesus. Gimme something to work with here. How hot is Stokes' mrs? Is she a ginga? cos that's just ****ed.