• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2022

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Never really deserves its own thread, and probably less so this year than ever.
BBC desperately hoping England don’t win the World Cup meaning they’d have to take team of the year away from the Women’s Euro Winners.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
what motivates you to make a thread about it each year, LT?

something to do with Clare Balding I imagine

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah it really should be Stokes.

The T20 team would probably take the team award in many years but suspect the Lionesses have that one sorted
Yeah, be something of a travesty if they didn't.

Ben Stokes for overseas personality though?

#wasntfunnythefirstthousandtimes

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Beth Mead is favourite. Without the ladies football team it would be a year similar to when Steve Davis and Ryan Giggs won it because nothing happened.

ashley bach

International Captain
Can the award be made to a coach? If so then Baz himself would have to be in contention. He's changed the direction of the game and thrown his
personality all over the face of English cricket.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Can the award be made to a coach? If so then Baz himself would have to be in contention. He's changed the direction of the game and thrown his
personality all over the face of English cricket.
There’s a separate coaches award, but that’ll being going to Wiegman unless the winner has to be British, in which case Baz can’t win either.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it really should be Stokes.

The T20 team would probably take the team award in many years but suspect the Lionesses have that one sorted
As Brumby says, there would be something wrong if the Lionesses didn't win the team award.

But Stokes has done more to deserve the individual award than Beth Mead imo.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The six contenders are in, three I wouldn’t recognise if they fell over my dustbin, O’Sullivan who did pretty much what he always does plus genuine contenders Stokes and Mead.
Mead favourite.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The six contenders are in, three I wouldn’t recognise if they fell over my dustbin, O’Sullivan who did pretty much what he always does plus genuine contenders Stokes and Mead.
Mead favourite.
I thought you were exaggerating. But you weren't. The nominees are gymnast Jessica Gadirova, footballer Beth Mead, curling's Eve Muirhead, cricketer Ben Stokes, snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan and athlete Jake Wightman.

Howe_zat

Audio File
78 gold medals for British competitors at the Commonwealth games so I'm surprised they didn't opt to include any of them, opting for two people who either skipped or disappointed there.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I thought you were exaggerating. But you weren't. The nominees are gymnast Jessica Gadirova, footballer Beth Mead, curling's Eve Muirhead, cricketer Ben Stokes, snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan and athlete Jake Wightman.
Eve :wub:

I'm definitely a fan of having people from smaller sports get nominated rather than a collection of people from the same sports. Anything that can help give those sports a bit of attention is good as far as I'm concerned.