• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Matches

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure if this has been nominated, but if not, The Centenary Test in 1977 when Australia beat England by 45 runs, not only a great cricket match but also by an amazing coincidence it was the same result of the First ever Test 100 years previously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lillian Thomson said:
I'm not sure if this has been nominated, but if not, The Centenary Test in 1977 when Australia beat England by 45 runs, not only a great cricket match but also by an amazing coincidence it was the same result of the First ever Test 100 years previously.
Can't find it? Give me the venue and I'll stick it on

Here's what we've got so far:

Eng - Aus, Headingley 81
Eng - Aus, Edgbaston 05
Ind - Eng, Mumbai 06
Ind - Aus, Kolkatta 2001
Ind - SA, Johannesburg 2006
Aus - Ind, Adelaide 2005
Aus - WI, Barbados 99
Ind - Aus, Madras 86
Aus - WI, Brisbane 60
Aus - Eng, Adelaide 06
Aus - Pak, Hobart 99
SL - Aus, Kandy 2004
SA - Aus, Port Elizabeth 1997
Aus - SA, Sydney 1994
Aus - Eng, Melbourne 1937
Ind - Pak, Chennai 1999
Ban - Aus, Fahlluah 2006
Ind - Eng, Oval 1971
Sl - SA, Colombo 2006
SA - Eng, Johannesburg 1995
Eng - Aus, Old Trafford 05
WI - India, Jamaica 06
Aus - England, Melbourne 82
Aus - WI, Adelaide 1993
Pak - Ind, karachi 2006
Aus - World XI, Perth 1971
Eng - WI, Lord's 2000
Eng - Aus, Trent Bridge 2005
Pak - Eng, Multan 2005
Pak - SL, Kandy 2006
Pak - Aus, Karachi 1994
Ind - Aus, Melbourne 1981
Ind - Aus, Mumbai 2004
WI - Pak, Antigua 2000
WI - Aus, Antigua 2003
Eng - NZ, Lord's 2004
NZ - Eng, Christchurch 2002
SL - Eng, Kandy 2001
NZ - WI, Hamilton 99

That;s 29, so 9 more and we'll get started...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That test at the MCG (IIRC) between Australia and Pakistan where Sarfraz took 9 wickets. Australia collapsed from needing 50 or so to win with 7 in hand to losing the test, and I believe the Sarfraz spell was voted the best in history on CW, so the test deserves a spot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Right, both are in.

Need 7 more but tbh I want to wait and see if Jono has any to add - he said he was going to have a think, and hey he usually has some good ideas :)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't know if it's been mentioned already cause i dunno the exact date but... The match where border & lawson (i think it was those 2) came within 2/3 runs of England... similar to Edgbaston...

Aust. V SA earlier this year where Lee & Kaspa erased their ashes nightmare and guided us to a 2 wicket victory.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Right, both are in.

Need 7 more but tbh I want to wait and see if Jono has any to add - he said he was going to have a think, and hey he usually has some good ideas :)
Cheers. :)

I couldn't think of/find too many which haven't already been mentioned, but here are a couple of good ones which I believe haven't been said.

WI vs. India - 2nd test 2001/02

Pak vs. India - 1st test of the Asian Test Championship 1998/99. (The hypothetical "3rd test" of the Pak tour of India in 99)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
FaaipDeOiad said:
Assuming you want 36, we only need 5 more. 38 would be a strange number. :p
Ah when I said 29 before I actually had 39, so I now have 41. Well, 43, when I add in the ones Jono has just included

Hopefully I'll have 5 more before I finish "work" today so I can get the thing going. Reckon it'll be a decent contest, because it's so much more objective than most of the Cricket battles IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Clapo said:
Don't know if it's been mentioned already cause i dunno the exact date but... The match where border & lawson (i think it was those 2) came within 2/3 runs of England... similar to Edgbaston...

Aust. V SA earlier this year where Lee & Kaspa erased their ashes nightmare and guided us to a 2 wicket victory.
Melbourne 82, I think I have.

SA-Aus, I don't think is in there, I'll certainly stick that in

EDIT - 4 more needed, here's what we have thus far. It's a bit heavy on matches from the 21st century, but that's to be expected IMO with something like this

Eng - Aus, Headingley 81
Eng - Aus, Edgbaston 05
Ind - Eng, Mumbai 06
Ind - Aus, Kolkatta 2001
Ind - SA, Johannesburg 2006
Aus - Ind, Adelaide 2005
Aus - WI, Barbados 99
Ind - Aus, Madras 86
Aus - WI, Brisbane 60
Aus - Eng, Adelaide 06
Aus - Pak, Hobart 99
SL - Aus, Kandy 2004
SA - Aus, Port Elizabeth 1997
Aus - SA, Sydney 1994
Aus - Eng, Melbourne 1937
Ind - Pak, Chennai 1999
Ban - Aus, Fahlluah 2006
Ind - Eng, Oval 1971
Sl - SA, Colombo 2006
SA - Eng, Johannesburg 1995
Eng - Aus, Old Trafford 05
WI - India, Jamaica 06
Aus - England, Melbourne 82
Aus - WI, Adelaide 1993
Pak - Ind, karachi 2006
Aus - World XI, Perth 1971
Eng - WI, Lord's 2000
Eng - Aus, Trent Bridge 2005
Pak - Eng, Multan 2005
Pak - SL, Kandy 2006
Pak - Aus, Karachi 1994
Ind - Aus, Melbourne 1981
Ind - Aus, Mumbai 2004
WI - Pak, Antigua 2000
WI - Aus, Antigua 2003
Eng - NZ, Lord's 2004
NZ - Eng, Christchurch 2002
SL - Eng, Kandy 2001
NZ - WI, Hamilton 99
Aus-Eng, Melbourne 1977
Aus-Pak, Melbourne 1979
WI-India, Trinidad 2002
Ind-Pak, Calcutta 1999
SA-Aus, Johannesburg 2006

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Something to remember is that in the 21st century, a lot more matches are played and a larger percentage of matches yield results. So I am not doubting that there is a recent bias, but a certain gravitation toward recent matches may not be completely wrong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, fair point. I don't mind either way tbh, people's favourite Tests are most of the time going to be ones that they watched live.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm an impatient man. Gonna go pick 4 Tests at random from the Stats Spider, they can be wildcard entries :laugh:

Expect the first battle shortly

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Probably none of this round are truly great Tests, but I'll go for Australia V Pakistan, Hobart 1999.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia V Pakistan, Hobart 1999.

Stunning partnership really, and one of the great fourth innings chases. The making of Gilchrist as a test player too. Only his second match.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice idea to use the Stats Spider. Anyway it's a pretty easy decision for mine, Australia V Pakistan, Hobart 1999. Was definately the making of Adam Gilchrist as a test player and would be one of his best test innings. Pretty good Pakistani attack aswell.