• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Innings (post-90s)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
All fantastic innings being nominated here - but is there any real possibility of this battle not going to VVS?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
A few others:
Kallis 162 Durban 2004-05 (better than CT IMO)
Vaughan 197 Nottingham 2002
Vaughan 195 The Oval 2002
Thorpe 119* Bridgetown 2004
Thorpe 124 The Oval 2003

iamdavid

International Debutant
All fantastic innings being nominated here - but is there any real possibility of this battle not going to VVS?
Certainly not if I were the judge, have seen or seen highlights of most of the innings mentioned so far and the 281 wins easy for me.

Pontings knock at Old Trafford is somewhat over-rated for me, it was a very responsible innings and in the context of the match was crucial, but it was certainly not the most polished or fluent of innings, a long way from Pontings best innings let alone the best of the post 90's era.

Pietersons 158 is similar as for the first 30 odd runs the pressure got to him and he played like cr*p, clearly very nervous and tentative despite a flat track and would never have got a third of those runs if Australia had taken thier chances. He played amazing once he got to about 30 though.

You may call me silly but I thought the standout innings of that series and the one which actually set the tone for the rest of the summer from that moment on was Marcus Trescothick's 90 in about 100 balls at Edgebaston :ph34r:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Bumpage!

Am willing to continue with nominations and such when I get back to the States if people are interested. Would obviously leave VVS 281* out.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
Kamran Akmal's century at KARACHI against India
Pathan took hattrick in the first over of the final test
Pakistan were 39/6
it was a grassy track
he scored a century
in the end Pakistan wont the match by some 300 runs
but it was the innings for me

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Kamran Akmal's century at KARACHI against India
Pathan took hattrick in the first over of the final test
Pakistan were 39/6
it was a grassy track
he scored a century
in the end Pakistan wont the match by some 300 runs
but it was the innings for me
It was not a grassy track, such things don't exist in Pakistan, it was a fine spell of swing bowling from Pathan, but the pitch was a road. Good innings from Akmal but the ball had stopped swinging by then, the Pakistani top order were really poor in the 1st innings, I mean the hatrick wickets were all to inswingers from Pathan, they really should have been better prepared as this was his only real weapon as a test bowler.

Best post 1990 test innings by a Pakistani was easily Azhar Mahmood's hundred against South Africa in South Africa, think it wa at Centurion or Cape Town, can't really remember, great innings though.

Realistically though VVS takes this competition at a canter.

Last edited:

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
It was not a grassy track, such things don't exist in Pakistan, it was a fine spell of swing bowling from Pathan, but the pitch was a road. Good innings from Akmal but the ball had stopped swinging by then, the Pakistani top order were really poor in the 1st innings, I mean the hatrick wickets were all to inswingers from Pathan, they really should have been better prepared as this was his only real weapon as a test bowler.

Best post 1990 test innings by a Pakistani was easily Azhar Mahmood's hundred against South Africa in South Africa, think it wa at Centurion or Cape Town, can't really remember, great innings though.

Realistically though VVS takes this competition at a canter.
oh really, it was a road? Why did india not pass 300 in both innings?
In first innings, VVS laxman was bowled by Asif, & the ball i guess swinged about 2 feet
Now don't say it was moved by Asif, it was a difficult pitch
otherwise you don't expect tendulkar, VVS laxman, Sehwag to be bowled on the road

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman 167 vs AUS, Sydney 00
Langer 160+ vs SRI 04
Martyn 104 vs INDIA, Chennai 04
GIlchrist 144 vs SRI 04
Lara 182 vs AUS, Adelaide 00
Hayden 196 vs ENG, Brisbane 02
Hayden 203 vs IND, Chennai 01
Thorpe 113* vs SRI, Colombo 01
Thorpe 124 vs SA, Oval 03
De Villiers 217 vs IND, Chennai 08