• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the batting recoveries

Bijed

International Regular
Ok, so we all love a good lollapse (when it's not our team) and there are rightly a few threads out there commemorating the best of the best. But, less amusing though they are, I feel we need to give comparable recognition to the times where a batting side messes up big-time early on before turning the innings around spectacularly.

I'll start by throwing in my favourite recovery that actually occurred during my lifetime: 4th Test, Pakistan tour of England at London, Aug 26-29 2010 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
Unfortunately, that match is generally remembered for things other than England's turnaround, but nonetheless it was still an incredible comeback.

Flem274*

123/5
mccullum and watlings 'lol no' to india at 90/5 200 odd runs in deficit was fun, as was kane and watlings 'lol no' the next year to sri lanka

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan have had a number of amazing recoveries against India.

Kamran scores a hundred to rescue Pakistan from 39/6
3rd Test, India tour of Pakistan at Karachi, Jan 29 - Feb 1 2006 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Moin drags them to a relatively decent 185 from the depths of 26/6

1st Match, Asian Test Championship at Kolkata, Feb 16-20 1999 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Pakistan are 10/3 and later 240/6 staring at a 10 wicket defeat but that **** Kamran somehow takes them to 496 to save the game

1st Test, Pakistan tour of India at Chandigarh, Mar 8-12 2005 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

OverratedSanity

Also Kolkata 01,obviously but that's too easy to mention I suppose? Also India were kind of doing OK if you just looked at the 3rd innings in isolation. 232-4 is a decent effort, though of course it was effectively negative 50/4 with only spuds left if a wicket fell.

Last edited:

Daemon

The Test in Galle where Dinesh Chandimal's scored 162*. Sri Lanka had a 180-200 run deficit in the 2nd innings when he walked in at 3-5. They somehow won the game. One of the greatest comebacks ever imo.

OverratedSanity

This thread could just be a rollcall of all the times India allowed the opposition to somehow escape after being in a dire situation in an overseas test.

Joburg 2013: SA 197/4 in 4th innings to 450/7
Auckland 2014: NZ 30/3 to 503 allout
Wellington 2014: NZ 94/5 to 6 trillion declared
Trentbridge 2014: 202/7 to 496 allout
Brisbane 2014: Australia 247/6 to 505 allout
Galle 2015: SL 95/5 to 367 allout

Then ****ing Sam Curran this season.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Ok, so we all love a good lollapse (when it's not our team) and there are rightly a few threads out there commemorating the best of the best. But, less amusing though they are, I feel we need to give comparable recognition to the times where a batting side messes up big-time early on before turning the innings around spectacularly.

I'll start by throwing in my favourite recovery that actually occurred during my lifetime: 4th Test, Pakistan tour of England at London, Aug 26-29 2010 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
Unfortunately, that match is generally remembered for things other than England's turnaround, but nonetheless it was still an incredible comeback.
broad smacking asif and amir all round a cloudy lords is one of the elite troll moves.