• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Order

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Ponting's strike rate is lower than "Slow Scorer" Martyn's...
That stats misleading Pontings strike rate over the last three years is about 82-85

Ponting has been lifting his strike rate for quite some time were as martyn's is droping it was over 80 about 18 monthes ago.

Infact Martyn had his strike rate as high as 88 a few years back.

Cloete

International Captain
Eclipse said:
Martyn is very consistent and while he cant really explode and go crazy like Ponting or Gilchrist can he is good at ticking the score board over and not getting out while say Ponting really lashes out at the other end like in the WC final.
exactly. but people seem to think he just sits there hitting singles and blocking. he actually hits a hell of alot of boundaries and quite oftn ends up with more than a run a ball score!!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Cloete said:
exactly. but people seem to think he just sits there hitting singles and blocking. he actually hits a hell of alot of boundaries and quite oftn ends up with more than a run a ball score!!
Yep I agree he has no trouble finding the boundry when he is in good form.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Martyn can bat well, though he starts slowly, and doesn't have the ability to smash, its quite rare that his SR is above 100.

Clarke almost always scores very fast, starts well and can smash

This season in the ING cup Clarke averaged 55 with a SR of 82, martyn didn't bat in the ING cup this summer, but the previous summer he played 3 games, averaged 74 but at a SR of just 65, not bad for the english side ;) but not good, Clarke in what i think was his first full domestic season averages 39 with a SR of 71 (note also ponting in that summer played 3 games - same as martyn, averaged 67 and his SR was 106), now if clarke is and continues to improve and Martyn (at his age he should be at the top of his game) shouldn't he be given more of a chance over the next little while.... shouldn't the selectors chose the strongest squad for the matches (bar squad rotation), and if Clarke is averaging more and constantly improving whould you not consider him better than Martyn

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
gunk said:
He starts slow.
The batsmen around him slow.
The innings slows.

Projection: lower score

As proven by Ponting's knock in the World Cup Final?

He started slow, and took something like 80 balls for his 50 didn't he?

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
eclispe, thanks for the ponting SR comments.

cloete, o.k, im sorry. you made good points. And clarke and lehmann and everyone in the aus side are good players. ok? (including martyn)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
As proven by Ponting's knock in the World Cup Final?

He started slow, and took something like 80 balls for his 50 didn't he?
the world cup final, a perfect example, Ponting made 140 (121) and Martyn 84(88), Martyn lacked the ability and slog during the latter overs

Cloete

International Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
i can't believe 1 ABSENT-MINDED sentence could have caused so much uproar.
LOL:lol:. threads often get hi-jacked. it happens so absent midnedly as well. it's like conversation 1 second u can go from cricket and the next ur talking about wat causes rain:lol:.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by agmartyn didn't bat in the ING cup this summer, but the previous summer he played 3 games, averaged 74 but at a SR of just 65, not bad for the english side ;)[/B]

And the woolf said "oh how grown up you seem grandma"

It's these kind of comments which make your points loose any credit Age.

Your forgetting that Tresco's strike rate is 86.85, and his average is 38, Gilchrists is 91.73 and 34...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
the world cup final, a perfect example, Ponting made 140 (121) and Martyn 84(88), Martyn lacked the ability and slog during the latter overs
I was talking about Ponting's innings. He started very slowly in that knock...

Martyn faced just 21 balls in the last 10 overs, and scored 24 runs off them.

He saw Ponting was hitting the ball better, so pushed singles. That's hardly lacking ability.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
You sound like they are long lost friends of yours :lol: :saint:
Not sure what you are getting at.

Read the front page reports on the NCL Division 1 games at the weekend (especially the Surrey game) and you will see what I am saying - and why it's so fresh in my mind.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Not sure what you are getting at.

Read the front page reports on the NCL Division 1 games at the weekend (especially the Surrey game) and you will see what I am saying - and why it's so fresh in my mind.
Another joke about your age. I'm sure you have created a strong defense system to combat it though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Another joke about your age. I'm sure you have created a strong defense system to combat it though.
Young whippersnapper.

When you're as old as I am, I'll be bowling currant buns down the corridor of the old folks home and dribbling.

Always the dribbling.

We're having prunes for tea.