• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Order

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Rik said:
50 off 50 balls is still 50 off 50 balls never mind if you score them all the way through your innings or you go mental at the end. Once he gets his eye in he goes for it, but he still ends up with a good strike rate despite starting slow as you say he does.

From my opinion momentum is a moment sort of thing. If he slows it up he slows up the team therefore increasing chances of a lower score, no matter how beserk they go at the end.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
gunk said:
From my opinion momentum is a moment sort of thing. If he slows it up he slows up the team therefore increasing chances of a lower score, no matter how beserk they go at the end.
I think the slower stike rate of his fellow players is more likely to be the reason for that...

Mr. P

marc71178 said:
How does he start it? By scoring at a quicker rate than them?!
He starts slow.
The batsmen around him slow.
The innings slows.

Projection: lower score

Cloete

International Captain
gunk said:
He starts slow.
The innings slows.

m8 he doesn't start slow. he starts at about 13 off 20 balls. yeah that might be slow.....not. it's just the fact is he never goes psycho unelss he has to or is in brilliant form. look at the WC? he did go psycho and so did ponting because both their eyes were in. martyn is an exceptionally good player. and i won't have you say he plays slow and is not necessary in australia. the number of times he has batted with bevan to see us through is quite astounding. don't you dare say he doesn't deserve his place. he has a better strike rate than hayden and ponting. and 1 of teh best averages in ODI's in the world. you have no idea what u r talking about if u think he slows the innings down. if he wants to he could knock 100 off 70-80 balls. but his risk of getting out is so high. when hayden isn't in good form u can tell. he makes barely n e runs. same with potning(although he is often in form:)). martyn hits the bad 1's and keeps out the good 1's. he never let's his S/R drop below 55 which is more than i can say for some. if you think gilchrist going out there and slogging is good for us, then you are sadly mistaken. i think his ODI average is only 33. yet to have some1 as solid as martyn averaging 42 and still scoring 80 off 100 is brilliant for the team. if clarke is to come in for some1. it can't be ,artyn. clarke doesn't have the experience or the ability JUST YET to handle tense situations and act as cooly as marto or bevan. you'll have to get rid of lehmann or some1 for clarke. don't you dare knock marto for his slow scoreing though. as he scores faste rthan ponting and hayden. and to say he slows the innings dowin is utter bull****. he sits there keeps the soreboard ticking away will some1 like a hayden, ponting or gilchrist is hitting away making quick runs. but if they r out of form u can see how bad their sr's r and they also get out cheaply. some1 like marto can then take control of the hititng or steeer the innings to victory. when out of form martyn is better than gilly and hayden(when they r out of form as well).

Mr. P

:) well done cloete:)

Just catching breath after reading that article. I'm not going to argue. Its a good case.

Mr. P

by the way, i was well aware that gilchrists average in ODI's is only 33 or so. he slogs around a bit, then gets out. whereas PONTING, hes another case. a +40 ODI average is actually quite hard to come by. and he scores quick too.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
gunk said:
He starts slow.
The innings slows.

He scores slowly then picks up, his strike rate is 78. You cannot blame a low score on that, he makes up for it. Anyway from what I've seen (the WC Final and several ODIs in England) he stays there whilst scoring at a brisk rate whilst the other guy goes mental at the other end.

Unless you have forgotten, in the mid overs, 20-40, it's usually the job of the batsmen to knock the singles around and then give it hell in the last 10 overs. A strike rate at number 4 such as Martyn's is very useful.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
gunk said:
by the way, i was well aware that gilchrists average in ODI's is only 33 or so. he slogs around a bit, then gets out. whereas PONTING, hes another case. a +40 ODI average is actually quite hard to come by. and he scores quick too.
Ponting's strike rate is lower than "Slow Scorer" Martyn's...

Cloete

International Captain
Rik said:
Ponting's strike rate is lower than "Slow Scorer" Martyn's...

that's exactly what i tohught. also martyn is a better bowler. well that's wat gilchrist, waugh and ponting think:rolleyes:. apparently gunk doesn't tohugh.

Cloete

International Captain
gunk said:
point taken, get off my back
fair enuff m8. but if you are going to keep posting praise of ponting and not look further then i think you somewhat desereve it. havign said that ponting is also one of my favourites :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
gunk said:
point taken, get off my back
Post original comments and we might. Unfortunately (for you maybe) this is a "give and take" board, there are no favours here.

Cloete

International Captain
it reminds me of aussie_beater's signature:

'Flames are welcome, but beware of the backdraft!"

Slats4ever

1. Hayden
2. Lehmann
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Bevan
6. Symonds
7. Gilchrist
8. Lee
9. Bichel
10. Dizzy
11. Pigeon

Eclipse

International Debutant
Martyn is very consistent and while he cant really explode and go crazy like Ponting or Gilchrist can he is good at ticking the score board over and not getting out while say Ponting really lashes out at the other end like in the WC final.